Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
171 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 171

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOs4.1 how much memory is used.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
How much memory does AmigaOs4.1 occupy when fully booted from the hard disk. So how much memory is actually needed for AmigaOs4.1 FE2 ?

I only ask because I am doing some tests with the memory.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Re: AmigaOs4.1 how much memory is used.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
on Micro A1-C: used 168 MB
Sam 440ep: used 129 MB
on X1000: used 391 MB
It is directly after boot, with some commodities running.

Micro A1-C was originally distributed with 256 MB - but it is too small for some aps.
Sam440ep has 512 MB, and it is adequate ammount for this slower computer.
Fastest computers with more demanding apps should have 1 GB+.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sailorQuote:
sailor wrote:on Micro A1-C: used 168 MB
Sam 440ep: used 129 MB
on X1000: used 391 MB
It is directly after boot, with some commodities running.

Micro A1-C was originally distributed with 256 MB - but it is too small for some aps.
Sam440ep has 512 MB, and it is adequate ammount for this slower computer.
Fastest computers with more demanding apps should have 1 GB+.

Thanks for the information, the test is not on real hardware, but it is still interesting to know if it behaves similarly.

The test ran as follows, I copied a file of about 2 GB into the Ramdisk and after about 1.3 GB the RamDisk was full. There is a little over 2 GB of memory available. This would mean that AmigaOs4.1 needs about 700MB memory to work, but I also have some tools running in the background that are started at boot time.

With this test, I wanted to find out if the 2 GB of memory that can be allocated can be used.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/7/23 20:59:03
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro

It will also depend on your screenmode - resolution as well as depth.

Hint: You can make your Workbench always tell you what is currently used, among other things. Check out the Workbench prefs editor.

I use the following string (almost, this is translated from Danish and simplified a bit) in the screen title format:

AmigaOS %r (ver: %v/%vw) on a %c with %mtj GB memory (%mj GB unused) and a %g with %mgtm MB (%mgm MB unused)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
If you are using SFS with diskcache.library it uses some percent of the installed memory (only from the first 2 GB, it doesn't support ExtMem yet) for it's caches, i.e. the more RAM you have installed the more is used by it. It's a global cache shared by all partitions using diskcache.library.

Other filesystems like NGFS, FFS2 (fs_plugin_cache), NTFS, etc. use separate caches for each partition instead, and the buffers of the partition use some memory as well, using a lot of small partitions needs more memory than using a few large ones.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbacheQuote:
nbache wrote:@Maijestro
AmigaOS %r (ver: %v/%vw) on a %c with %mtj GB memory (%mj GB unused) and a %g with %mgtm MB (%mgm MB unused)

Thanks for the line, I adjusted it a bit for me. The Workbench title screen now shows that.

AmigaOS Version 4.1 - Final Edition Update 2 / Motorola MPC 7447/7457 Apollo with 2.147.483.648 GB Memory ( 1.839.669.248 GB Free ) SiliconMotion 502 with 63 MB Memory ( 51 MB Free )

If you can trust the numbers just under 300 MB are used for AmigaOs4.1.

@joerg

Quote:
If you are using SFS with diskcache.library it uses some percent of the installed memory (only from the first 2 GB, it doesn't support ExtMem yet) for it's caches, i.e. the more RAM you have installed the more is used by it. It's a global cache shared by all partitions using diskcache.library.

I just read something on Wiki that means than AmigaOs4.1 can not handle more than 2 GB of memory, even if e.g. 4 GB would be available?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

Sadly, there is some really old legacy code that uses the sign bit (bit 31) of the return address to indicate failure. Until that component is rewritten (and all the old 68K programs that depend on it are rewritten or replaced), we can't use any addresses beyond (2 GB - 1).

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
I just read something on Wiki that means than AmigaOs4.1 can not handle more than 2 GB of memory, even if e.g. 4 GB would be available?
Only virtual memory is still limited to 2 GB.
More physical memory is supported, but it can only be used by software with support for ExtMem, for example the RAM Disk supports it.

@tonyw
Quote:
Sadly, there is some really old legacy code that uses the sign bit (bit 31) of the return address to indicate failure. Until that component is rewritten (and all the old 68K programs that depend on it are rewritten or replaced), we can't use any addresses beyond (2 GB - 1).
IExec->AllocEntry() was replaced by IExec->AllocTaskMemEntry(), only some very old, especially AmigaOS 1.x-3.x m68k, software could still be a problem.
The main reason for the ~2 GB limit is that the rest of the 32 bit virtual address space is required for the PCI(e) address space, kickstart modules, etc. When using a gfx card with only few RAM (256 or 512 MB) 3 GB or more virtual address space could be used for RAM, but when using a gfx card with 1 GB RAM not much more than 2 GB.

Edited by joerg on 2023/7/24 13:15:18
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
Also pegasos2 follows CHRP which reserves addresses above 2GB for system IO and pegasos2 firmware puts PCI memory at 0x80000000 and I'm not sure nothing has this hard coded so even if we would change that it could break something.

Additinally a different thread here or on other forums talked about that using more than 1GB memory on real machine may not work and that limit comes from either hardware problem or the firmware not configuring memory controller correctly. This would not be fixed even by using BBoot which solves the problem on QEMU where the problem is that only a single memory slot is emulated and the firmware cannot recognise more than 1GB per slot but on real hardware the problem is different.

Go to top

Register To Post