Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

AmigaSociety, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

The ol' Wireless....
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Guys (& Gals) Advice please. After moving house, for the first time ever I find that I am unable to use the ethernet option on my MicroA1 with OS4 4.1 FE.

Can anyone recommend a way to get a MicroA1 on wireless?

Cheers!

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Re: The ol' Wireless....
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C

I've used one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016A5FIEG ... PLQU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You have to plug it into something running firefox to configure it, I used a droidbox. It worked well on my X1000.

It takes power from a USB port and plugs into the ethernat port, The amiga doesn't know it's wifi, just thinks it's a standard cable connection.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

Can you explain step by step this co.figuration, please ?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mikey_C

Several options.

1. A PCI wireless card (Prism 2)
This is the slowest, because only 10Mbps cards are supported. You often also need to muck around trying to flash them to use WPA encryption (if AmigaKit have any in stock, they are hopefully flashed already. If you buy from elsewhere, probably not).

2. A wireless bridge/client
As per Severin. I have a TP-Link T-WA701ND. I don't think they make them any more, but they should have an equivalent newer model. IIRC mine was less than £20, and it's a fantastic little device - although it does need it's own power supply (it can work as a wireless access point and range extender too). The one Severin mentions is more convenient as it can potentially be powered from USB.

3. A Raspberry Pi
Or some other computer with Ethernet and Wi-fi available. You connect the Amiga to the Ethernet side and route traffic over the wireless interface. Easy to set up. This is what I've been using for ages.

4. A ridiculously long Ethernet cable
It's always an option, and potential trip hazard.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@shadowsun

Not really, I don't habe it anymore, my mum 'borrowed' for her HD TV.

All the info you need comes in the manual of very tiny print. I had problems that no amiga browser worked and went delving on the net and found out that you need firefox to access it's configuration pages.

Basically iirc... plug the device into a non amiga computer, go to it's url with firefox (10.0.0.1 rings a bell) then choose your wifi, enter the password and save. you then just have to reboot the device (pull power and replace) give it 30 seconds or so to bootup and you should be able to access the net. then just disconnect it and plug into an amiga, swirch on and it should be ready by the time workbench is loading, if not add a wait command to s:network-startup.

If that fails try pentegrams on the wall, chalk circles, black canfles, chanting incantations and sacrificing various family members.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

here's a tutorial on using wifi cards on NG amigas: http://intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=wireless

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mikey_C

Wouldn't it be easier to find a way to use ethernet again?

Why are you unable to use it?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mikey_C
I am guessing that you can't get an ethernet cable from your router? I highly recommend buying a couple of Homeplug-compatible devices (or Powerline as PC World call them), as these allow you to use your mains wiring as a very long ethernet cable! And tend to be much more reliable than WiFi.

My personal recommendation are ones made by Devolo, as they were basically the first to make decent Homeplugs, and their stuff is high-quality... although their price tends to be a bit higher as well:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computi ... in-pack-21405974-pdt.html
(£37 for pack of two)

Beware that these need plugging directly into a wall socket (a power extension/multistrip may not work well), so if you are limited on wall sockets (at either end) then you'll need two of these instead:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computi ... -add-on-10107536-pdt.html
(£80 for two)

But if the price is getting a bit steep for you, then this one by BT is probably more down your street:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computi ... in-pack-10142651-pdt.html
(£40 for pack of two)

Please note that if your house is OLD (or especially big - perhaps a bungalow or had an extension), then there might be more than one electrical ring main. That could stop Homeplugs from talking to each other. But in my experience this is very unlikely to be the case for most houses.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C
I use a Netgear WNCE2001 WIFI adapter. It originally sold for about $50. Since it's went out of production, some retailers offering it for rediculous prices. However, I searched the Internet and found it for as little as $25.

I also have a Netgear WNCE3001; which is a dual band WIFI adapter that is widwly available for about $50. However I prefer the older WNCE2001 because it has multiple LEDs to indicate the state of power and connection. The newer WNCE3001 has a single LED that shows multiple colors to indicate the connection state.

Both adapters plug into an Amiga ethernet port and can be configured with an Internet browser. There is no external software needed. If your router has WPS, you just press the WPS button on the adapter, wait for a green LED and then press the WPS button on the router. I prefer to configure it manually and supply my own password. Your Amiga Internet prefs need to be set to DHCP to connect to the adapters. You may need to reboot your Amiga after initial adapter configuration in order to connect to the Internet.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Second

Using LAN over Powerline myself

You'll lose some bandwidth depending on the quality of your power lines but it's enough to beat WLAN over the head with a trout any time

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

Try one of these wifi-N dongles. I have one on my A1XE, working fine, and only a tenner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fro ... TRS0&_nkw=vonets&_sacat=0

Fred

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Severin

Cheers fella, I've decided to go for this one it will be delivered just in time for the ANT meeting this Sunday
:)

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top

Register To Post