Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
71 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Changing type of an icon
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Does anyone knows of CLI commands
a) giving the type of an icon (tool, project ..)
b) permitting to change the type of an icon to an other one you specify in the command line?

Go to top
Re: Changing type of an icon
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
JosDuchIt wrote:
Does anyone knows of CLI commands
a) giving the type of an icon (tool, project ..)
Workbench's own ARexx port can give you this information. Check the ARexx.doc file, the section on the GETATTR command. You need to find the icon's element number in a list (all, unselected or selected) of a window's icons, then you can query its type, among other things.

At least I think that's how it works, I never tried that particular command.

Quote:
b) permitting to change the type of an icon to an other one you specify in the command line?
Not sure about that one. There are some old programs on Aminet, but I would guess they won't work with today's icons. But you could try.
(Search Aminet for "icon shell", and you'll see some.)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

@nbache
Quote:
here are some old programs on Aminet, but I would guess they won't work with today's icons. But you could try.

i did find 3 progrmas ( icontype.lha icontype.lzh, 1MUIconType) they do work under OS4.1.Two ( icontype.lzeh by Stanislav Raclavsky & MUIIconType by Alex Pagnoni do present a gui in which to select the new type. They are not usable in a script as i intend to.
Only icontype.lha by Michael J. Barsoom allows to specify the new type on the commandline.

As i would like to pogram an OS4 version of i am trying to contact the authors with no succes till now.

I would be glad allready with a sketch of how to do it.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
You should try over at the Hyperion forums, in the developer section. I'm sure somebody there can outline how to go about it. I'd expect something involving icon.library, though. Basically loading the icon/diskobject, changing the type (and possibly some related data?) and putting it back out there?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
I'd expect something involving icon.library, though. Basically loading the icon/diskobject, changing the type (and possibly some related data?) and putting it back out there?

Yes, that is pretty much how you'd do it.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I did get specific info on the Hyperion forum as suggested;
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1184

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You can change the type via CLI or GUI using the Report+ utility.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Minuous,
as far as i can see you can launch ReportPlus from CLI in 'icon mode' but to change an icon's type you will have to use the gui popping up. I

I uploaded to OS4Depot a program that comes near to what i wanted (being usable in a script without human intervention) : IconTypeChange.lha,

Reportplus has nice features though

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
No, you will need to use the GUI the very first time, to choose eg. the icon format you want. But then you quit the program and it automatically saves this information in its config file. Thereafter it should just be a matter of, eg.:

ReportPlus 6 foo.info bar.info

(You can also use wildcards...)
For the next version I will also make it accept an ICONTYPE argument directly from the CLI.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@minuous
Quote:
For the next version I will also make it accept an ICONTYPE argument directly from the CLI.

That's indeed what is lacking now for what i wanted to do.
Tnanks for your interest.
The same desire (use in scripts) could be expressed for other functionaliy ReportPlus is offering. 'Manipulating text files' for example is very interesting. You have assembled there lots of different usefull functions.
Being able to use them in scripts. on their own would be a big plus.
I am sure you could provide these as independent specific CLI commands as well as your intended adaptation of ReportPlus, maybe more easily ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OK, Report+ 6.78 is released and includes CLI-based icon conversion as suggested.

In the future I will probably implement a similar feature for the ASCII conversion.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Minuous

Good show.

Go to top

Register To Post