Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Using Water To Make Electricity On The Moon
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I was just wondering, when in physics, they spend a lot of time impressing upon you separating "weight" from "mass".

Most assuredly it's the case.

I was wondering however, if you use 1,000 liters of water on Earth and drop it 10 meters how much electricity you make versus doing the same on the Moon, the mass is the same, but less electricity is made, right? Due to the strength of gravitational pull having a lower acceleration of the water molecules, right?

Also, I've always been bothered by this question; "water dropping making electricity, is that changing gravity's pull to electricity?"

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: Using Water To Make Electricity On The Moon
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Well yes, it depends on amount of force you can generate, water floating in space will not give you kinetic energy as the mass does not try go anywhere.

Newtons law: Mass * acceleration = Force

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Water dropping making electricity, is that changing gravity's pull to electricity?

No, it's changing (the potential energy that the water has at that height) into electricity. Somehow the water got up there by someone or something doing work on it (lifting it). You are just getting that energy back.

"Gravity's pull" is a constant force. You can't get energy out of it for ever, sooner or later you will reach the bottom of the hill (or well, or mine shaft).

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What tonyw said + The water has been "charged" by potential energy orginally from the sun -> heat -> vapour -> wind -> rain. Then it was trapped on a mountain ready for us to use by letting it release its energy ase kinetic energy (movement) -> electric energy.

What will actually happen is that the water will be slightly cooler in the river below the powerplant than it would have been before the powerplant was built. Before the water would just have raged down the mountain creating friction and noise which eventually becomes heat. But by extracting the rage in form of electricity the water will not heat up as much as before. Not sure if it's meassurable, but it's calculatable at least.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Amiga matter?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Templario :

It's the Free For All forum, we can speak about any topic here (even not Amiga related).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
OK, as the free forums in other sites are under other zone/name.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

What will actually happen is that the water will be slightly cooler in the river below the powerplant than it would have been before the powerplant was built. Before the water would just have raged down the mountain creating friction and noise which eventually becomes heat. But by extracting the rage in form of electricity the water will not heat up as much as before. Not sure if it's meassurable, but it's calculatable at least.

you should probably patent your designs for a frictionless, turbulence free turbine as soon as possible

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Broadblues,

I like your avatar. Did you make it with Blender ?

I know, out of topic again...

Happy new year here and on the moon.
Have a drink of water of course!

Since a lot of months without an amiga to love, I was lost.
Now I feel happiness again with a Sam Flex 800 .
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@yescop

yes, it's a character from an animated movie, i started to make, but i got distracted by porting blender so never finished it!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Atheist wrote:Using Water To Make Electricity On The Moon.

If only you where able some how capture the energy of the UFO's circling the moon

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Or even reuse some of the immense amounts of energy that NASA used to get some of that moon junk up there. All wasted.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

broadblues wrote:

you should probably patent your designs for a frictionless, turbulence free turbine as soon as possible

I'm sure someone already has..

Powerplants are upgraded once in a while with newer and more efficient turbines.

@tonyw

+1

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Or even reuse some of the immense amounts of energy that NASA used to get some of that moon junk up there. All wasted.

Rockets definetly aren't verry efficient, you have to put all that energey in to raise the potetial energy of the space ship, then you have to put more in to stop the potential energy of the ship lowering to quickly!

Go to top

Register To Post