Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 86

nubechecorre, white, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Can't get ethernet going on sam440ep-flex (partially solved)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
OK, so i've tried both ethernet ports, unit 0 and 1, and which DHCP and static.

It's hooked up via a crossover cable to a PC running Windows 7, and the wireless is shared (and it works with another laptop).

The syslog error in OS4.1 is "[error]: Station address query failed for interface "PPC440EP_ETH" (Inappropriate state).".

Any ideas?

Edit: If it makes any difference, there is no uboot variable containing my MAC address. There used to be, a long time ago. Is it required? I have no idea what the MAC is.

Edit2: Looks like those variables were required. I found an old email where I backed them up just incase. Still, I wonder how you'd find out the MAC addresses if you didn't already have them written down.

Also, it only works if I set a static IP. With DHCP I get a "Duplicate IP address sent 0.0.0.0 from ethernet address th:em:ac:ad:dr:es.".

Go to top
Re: Can't get ethernet going on sam440ep-flex (partially solved)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
hello,

static adress (host adress): 192.168.1.20

You could have some informations on ranger -> network

After 192.168.1.20 should be on the 255 adress the modem or router use.

my modem is 192.168.1.0, my 1200 is 192.168.1.2, my SAM is 192.168.1.20 and the adresses of my modem are 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255

The MAC adress is the adress of your Modem or your router and NOT an adress of your computers. You could have the adress of your modem by entering the settings of your modem with a browser.

I'm not sure I answer your question, It's more like just general informations

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
The MAC adress is the adress of your Modem or your router and NOT an adress of your computers.

No that's wrong, and if you have the setting like that, you should change it.

The MAC address in uboot (ethaddr and eth1addr) are the MAC address it uses for the 2 ethernet ports. You can see this in an IP scanning utility or in the ARP table of the router. (On the Sam440s it starts with 00:50:C2). Apparently they're written on the underside of the motherboard, but I can't check that now!

You can't make it the same as the router or the router and other devices will get confused.

As said in the first post, I have it working with static. On Windows 7, the range is 192.168.137.2-255 with the default gateway being 192.168.137.1

192.168.1.x is the range on Windows XP (not sure about Vista).

My only remaining problem is DHCP not working.

Edit: Removed something that *may* have been considered offensive, but not intended to be. Better safe than sorry!

Edited by MickJT on 2011/6/9 20:59:09
Edited by MickJT on 2011/6/9 21:00:05
Edited by MickJT on 2011/6/9 21:00:39
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT
I know nothing about networking but my limited experience leads me to believe that RoadShow doesn't react very well to complicated DHCP situations. If I forget to turn on my router before I turn on my SAM and the WiFi adapter it is connected to (powered from a USB port), I will never get connected. The WiFi adapter has DHCP, which is on until it connects to the router and then turned off. My SAM gets assigned an IP address by the WiFi DHCP if the router is off or the WiFi connection isn't established. After I turn on the Router or a delayed connection is finally established, RoadShow eventually throws up a requester stating that the lease has expired and that it is attempting to get a new lease. It never succeeds. NetShutDown just freezes if I try it. If I reboot, AddNetInterface succeeds and everything works. The router and WiFi didn't need to be rebooted so that tells me that there is a problem with RoadShow reestablishing a network connection if something unusual happens with DHCP.

Since I've discovered that timing can be an issue on my system, I can only suggest that you disable AddNetInterface in the startup-sequence and try entering it manually a minute or two after your SAM has finished booting.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic Quote:
If I forget to turn on my router before I turn on my SAM and the WiFi adapter it is connected to (powered from a USB port), I will never get connected.

That is correct. It has no way of telling the ethernet connection was not live earlier, nor that it has gone live now, so it only tries DHCP once when OS4 first boots.

From my brief discussions with Olaf, I recall this is due to (one of many!) limitations in the AmiTCP driver model that all Amiga networking stacks use. He is of the opinion the Amiga's entire TCP/IP interface needs to be redesigned from scratch (i.e. scrap the AmiTCP design), but doesn't have the time to do it himself.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mrodfr

The mac address is not the address of the modem or router, it's the serial number of the ethernet port. it can be used by routers to only connect to specific ports, so that you don't need to use encrypted and password protected connection methods whch gets you a little more speed.

To find your mac address use:

9> ShowNetStatus ppc440ep_eth
Interface "ppc440ep_eth"
Device name = ppc440ep_eth.device
Device unit number = 0
Hardware address = 00:50:C2:80:D3:F8

Hardware Address = MAC

Adding mac address info to your router stops unknown users from accessing your router/modem via wifi. Very usefull if you live somewhere with lots of neighbours (eg. block of flats) to stop them stealing your bandwidth.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

There are also MAC adresses for the ethernet ports itself ?

Allways thinking that MAC adress was just for the modem or the router only (or an ethernet printer or scanner).

Thanks for corrected me

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr
The MAC address is a unique identifier for EVERY device on the network - and that includes both router AND computers! Without that there would be no way to uniquely identify every computer on the network, and so no way to send messages to them (before they are assigned an IP address via DHCP, which itself requires sending of messages).

@Severin Quote:
The mac address is not the address of the modem or router, it's the serial number of the ethernet port.

Actually the MAC address acts as *both* a "serial number" and an "address", although neither name entirely conveys how it is actually used.

Quote:
it can be used by routers to only connect to specific ports, so that you don't need to use encrypted and password protected connection methods

This is incorrect. I assume you are talking about MAC filtering/blocking? That has nothing to do with encryption or password protection, and using MAC filtering instead of them is not very secure.

Quote:
Adding mac address info to your router stops unknown users from accessing your router/modem via wifi. Very usefull if you live somewhere with lots of neighbours (eg. block of flats) to stop them stealing your bandwidth.

Actually, it is very easy for someone to find out your MAC address (with the right software) since your computer effectively broadcasts it on the network, and many network cards allow "MAC spoofing" so they can pretend to be you.

MAC filtering should be used as an ADDITIONAL security measure, not as an ALTERNATIVE to other measures like encryption.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mrodfr

A pack is sent from A to B,

Sender address MAC is address of your network adapter.
first the receiver MAC is the MAC address of your router.

Next

Sender Mac address is the Router address,
and the receiver MAC is the ISP.

And this pattern continues until the package has come to its final destination.

For etch hop the MAC address changes whit in the package as it traveling from A to B.
The sender and receiver IP address on the other and remains the same whit the package.

(of course this is extremely simplified.)

If two computers have the same MAC or IP address its impossible to know where to send the package.

The IP address groups computers and forms the routes packages travel, while MAC operates as a local address only.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Even though running AddNetInterface in SS before WiFi is connected is a rare occurance, I now run AddNetInterface from a button on my Internet screen. I am wondering if using a static IP on my SAM would avoid problems with slow WiFi connection (and the case where I forgot to turn the router on). Will RoadShow find the router (& gateway addresses) if AddNetInterface (with static IP) is run before the router is available? Does the SAM static IP need to be set in the router too? Since DHCP worked in my inttial setup, I've been reluctant to change anything for fear of locking myself out of the WiFi adapter or router. I know this is a little OT with MickJT's problem but I just thought I'd ask while some more experienced network users are reading this topic.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic
I don't have any practical experience of static IP addresses on the Amiga, but the same principles should apply:

If you want to completely disable DHCP (for speed), then you will need to tell your TCP/IP stack (Prefs/Internet on AmigaOS4) about (1) your static IP address, (2) the IP address of the Gateway, and (3) the IP address of the DNS server. Regarding these points:

1. While you can choose any static IP address you like, if anything else uses DHCP then it is advisable to either (a) pick an IP address outside of the DHCP range of your router, or (b) tell your router that your IP address is reserved (typically you can reserve it for a machine with a particular MAC address).

On AmigaOS4 I believe you can disable DHCP & specify a static IP address using the Interfaces 'tab'. You do NOT need to disable DHCP on the router itself!!

2. The Gateway IP address will be the IP address of your router, which is typically something like 192.168.xxx.001 or .254 .

On AmigaOS4 I believe you can specify this on the Routes 'tab' as "Default Gateway Address".

3. The IP address of your DNS server is the IP address of your router (or perhaps a public DNS server if you prefer), which is typically something like 192.168.xxx.001 or .254 .

On AmigaOS4 I believe you can specify this on the Name Resolution 'tab', click New, and then enter the address.

If you do all that correctly, then yes the internet should start working after you turn the router on (or plug it in). If you are worried about screwing things up, then make a backup of the Sys:Devs/Internet folder before you change any internet prefs. You should not need to make any changes to the router's settings (except maybe reserving an IP address so that it's DHCP server cannot re-use your static IP address).

Edited by ChrisH on 2011/6/12 9:56:58
Go to top

Register To Post