Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Developper documentation: official status ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

Now that Hyperion own amiga and distribute a SDK with all needed to make happy programmers, I would like to know the status about the documentaion by itself, by using some examples:

First example:

Amidark engine, Amiblitz3, Hollywood,... (langague who manage to simplify programming by themselves) can take, for example, tags or flags from some instruction, from the SDK, and add them on their own documentation ?

Second example:

A courageous guy with free time transform SDK to html and add the SDK includes and autodocs on a good and easy to use internet site ? On Hyperion site by itself maybe ?

Additionnal examples:

-What are the status of the amiga books actually (RKRM, Amiga inside and out,...) ?

-The content of the books could be used to make PDF or internet page with their contents for freely helping the programmers to have a modern method to know the amiga systems ?

-Original publishers of the book maybe now dead and some of them maybe become now free to use?

-For RKRM, the owner is Commodore and now Hyperion or ?

bye.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Re: Developper documentation: official status ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

I believe that those Reference Books you mentioned, must not be the same in PPC systems, as there are a lot of differences in 68k systems. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

But surely using these aforementioned books now under AmigaOS 4.1, might be a little outdated.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr
Regarding the RKRM's: the printed versions are difficult to find, but there is still the electronic version on the AmigaDeveloper CD 2.1. This can still be found, i.e. at Vesalia. I bought it for this main reason some weeks ago.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

-The content of the books could be used to make PDF or internet page with their contents for freely helping the programmers to have a modern method to know the amiga systems ?

Hem... between crawling with AmiPDF orOWB, and using Autodoc Reader or similar, my choice is done. Converting everything to "modern" format does not necesarily means it will be more efficient. Well, maybe for cross-compiling, but is it really worth the time spent ? Not to mention such things should better be generated from the source code like Autodocs.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks: ... author:%22Commodore-Amiga,+Inc%22

Commodore Amiga Inc or Hyperion have the right for the books (old) ?

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

http://www.google.fr/images?hl=fr&q=e ... nintelligible%20questions

bad skills or complex mind process what do you think ?

[mode mimetic off]
I cant' really understand which question you are asking (was it really a question?) anyway what I can see on your link is that Google classified the Addison-Wesley RKM (without any online excerpts) and that copyright is given to "Commodore-Amiga" (as stated on the cover of those books, i.e. they just quoted them)

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@centaurz
Quote:
Hem... between crawling with AmiPDF orOWB, and using Autodoc Reader or similar, my choice is done. Converting everything to "modern" format does not necesarily means it will be more efficient.

There is a lot more information and explanations in the RKMs than you will find in the AutoDocs. I would have never been able to program anything on my Amiga1000 without those manuals. We really need updated documantation that is as thorough as the RKM's (for dummys like me anyway .

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
Hem... between crawling with AmiPDF orOWB, and using Autodoc Reader or similar, my choice is done. Converting everything to "modern" format does not necesarily means it will be more efficient.

I have to agree with this. I find it incredibly quick and easy to find things in the AmigaGuide versions of the RKRMs - I don't even notice the lack of search. Whoever converted the books to this format did a sterling job.

PDF is fine if you're intending to print the document out, but for browsing on screen it's cumbersome.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I must admit that I'm - as a newbie - sometimes overwhelmed by the informations I can find on the Developer CD. Sometimes I get lost in the digital form of the RKRMs...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Xenic

Quote:

There is a lot more information and explanations in the RKMs than you will find in the AutoDocs. I would have never been able to program anything on my Amiga1000 without those manuals.

Well, I never told the contrary. To this list you can add the Amiga Guru Book which is invaluable when it comes to programming with DOS library (handlers, I/O...) since the RKRM don't say a word about it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The RKRM was written by many different programmers, who contributed source code/examples etc.

Just like the Hyperion Blog - It would have been better if permission was given as default for lifetime usage for any medium/format for any reason in future.
Ownership to Hyperion or future owners of AmigaOS or else go public domain.

The only way is to re-write closed room style.

Also a decent documentation format is nowhere in sight.

Please Hyperion UPDATE AmigaGuide file format to support :

embedded graphics
simple layout (like DTP text panel)

support vector format in future.

Once Amigaguide has simple layout tools for publishing we have a document format that can be searched easily, efficiently.

Users could make their own catalog tools to search current/future magazines/books/text etc for instant future proof documentation.

Maybe similar tools like REXX XML parser can be used on a xml like document format and DTD.

Amiga Transactor/Amiga Tech J magazines were fantastic programming magazines.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
>Well, I never told the contrary. To this list you can add the Amiga Guru Book which is invaluable when it comes to programming with DOS library (handlers, I/O...) since the RKRM don't say a word about it.

That's because there is a separate manual for AmigaDOS.

Go to top

Register To Post