Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
YetAnotherDesk
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
shell-launching from menu (crashes)

What Shell/CON-handler are you using ? Default CON: or KCON: or something else ?

Quote:
Have you any progress on this lately ?

Yes. Planning next release soon.

- Opening new drawers works different now, "feels faster"
- Better file copy requesters when target exists (more information)
- New feature: Time warp: Get your deleted files back
- Faster cover mode
- It's possible to set single drawer mode to individual drawers separately
- Bug fixes

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Re: YetAnotherDesk
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

What Shell/CON-handler are you using ? Default CON: or KCON: or something else ?

KCON

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK
I see you upload new screenshots on os4depot of new version of program, but not program itself , any luck to get it from you ? From the latest screenshots it looks pretty interesting.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

I've been fixing bugs.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Version YAD 0.18 & YADPrefs 2.2 is now in the upload queue of os4depot.net. I hope I found all bugs. I should also write better Readme someday. I hope everything is self explanatory enough.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

Tryed for now :)
First problem which found : go to prefs, in others/cli type "newcli", save, tools/shell, and have on WB screen:
Quote:

NEWSHELL: wrong number of arguments

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Default string for Shell in Prefs is: CON:250/400/500/200/AmigaShell/CLOSE/SCREEN %s. It does internally 'newcli WINDOW="%s" FROM S:Shell-startup' where %s is replaced by the string from the Prefs. %s in the Prefs string is replaced by your screen name. That's why the SCREEN parameter is mandatory so AmigaOS knows which screen this Shell window should be opened on. Check con-handler.doc from your AmigaOS Documentation drawer. (Or Kingcon-handler.readme from Kingcon archive.)

It's 'CON:win_x/win_y/width/height/title/options' and 'SCREEN %s' MUST be one of the options. CON:win_x/win_y/width/height/title is the minimum.

So internally it does: "CON:250/400/500/200/AmigaShell/CLOSE/SCREEN Workbench" by default if Workbench was the screen you're using.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

YAD is looking very good!

Can it be used in Workbench replacement mode (like DOpus Magellan?)

PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.17
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@emeck

Quote:
Can it be used in Workbench replacement mode

Basicly (in theory) you can but in practise you should not. For example you would lose iconification of any apps.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @TSK

New feature: Time warp: Get your deleted files back
Oh wow, haven't checked that out yet!
YAD...you would lose iconification of any apps.
I noticed that. Most my apps use IconX and that doesn't work either. I've notice some of Magellan like features of the Workbench 'cloner', nice! What was your original intention and use of this program?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

I've notice some of Magellan like features of the Workbench 'cloner', nice!

I thought it was running Filer in one of the snapshots.

YAD looks very nice and useful. I think it could be a great WB replacement at some point.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:
What was your original intention and use of this program?

Somebody was "whining"/commenting on forums that AmigaOS is not a modern OS because, for example, it lacks virtual desktops/workspaces. It wasn't good enough we have multiple screens without being able to open drawers on them and having docks and so on. So I wanted to make a desktop manager which could run on any public screen. (Other reasons eventually as well.) Original idea was to keep it as simple as possible so I don't have to put too much time and effort into it. But then I went crazy and started to add more features into it.

@emeck
Quote:
YAD looks very nice and useful. I think it could be a great WB replacement at some point.

Thanks !

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
There's new version 0.19 in the upload queue of os4depot.net.

- 0.19 beta (16th November 2010):
- Switching between different modes in drawers is faster
- Icon layouting is better (but still not perfect)
- Other small improvements
- Bug fixes (I forgot this from the readme)

If anybody wants to see how fast dirs are read into memory, sorted and icons loaded add BENCHMARK tooltype into tooltypes before starting the program.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

Original idea was to keep it as simple as possible so I don't have to put too much time and
effort into it. But then I went crazy and started to add more features into it.

So, you are still going crazy with YAD? GOOD!! Thanks for the improvements. Wish I can try it. Maybe by the time I have a new AOS4 machine YAD will be mature enough to replace WB.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@emeck

Quote:
YAD will be mature enough to replace WB

I'm thinking it would be better idea trying to volunteer to Hyperion developing Workbench itself (depenging on how many people are already working on it) than trying to make a 3rd party replacement. (I haven't done that yet.)

@all
I found a new bug already and fixed it in v0.20. But I think I test it more before making new upload. It doesn't respect a setting in Prefs which sets showing mini icons in list mode or not. Currently they're shown always. (And if they're disabled then don't load any icons unnecesserily making opening a drawer faster.)

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

There's new 0.20 version in the upload queue of os4depot.net. I forgot to put it in the readme but there's a new feature also. Hopefully layouting of icons, when there's both snapshotted and unsnapshotted icons, works now fine (in sorting by snapshot mode).

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Just tried the new version and there are many problems:

Clicking a file in the lister selects a different file that seems to change each time the lister is opened, sometimes 2 above other times 5 or 6 above. I have to use the wheel to get accurate selection.
No multiselect for desktop icons
Can't arrange icons on the desktop <ramiga .>
Can't edit colours in lister which seem to have poor contrast between text and background.
Dock doesn't work, nothing runs if I click on it.
The preview window is very annoying, how can I turn it off?
My system just locks up after running YAD for a few minutes with live icons switched on.
Drawers and files all mixed together in the lister <shudder>

I've only tried it for about 5 minutes but as it is I won't be using it which is a pity as it looks to have great potential.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin

Quote:
Clicking a file in the lister selects a different file that seems to change each time the lister is opened, sometimes 2 above other times 5 or 6 above. I have to use the wheel to get accurate selection.

Strange. Here it works.

Quote:
No multiselect for desktop icons

Yes. Is multiselect nedessary ?

Quote:

Maybe using same KB shortcuts as WB. I don't know if I should.

Quote:
Can't edit colours in lister which seem to have poor contrast between text and background.

Missing.

Quote:
Dock doesn't work, nothing runs if I click on it.

C**p. It looks like so. I was thinking to get of rid its own toolbar/dock because I found a way to make AmiDock to move between screens. But then again there's no way to make drag&drop to any other programs. (I think I have to start making feature requests.)

Quote:
The preview window is very annoying, how can I turn it off?

Requires adding new feature into Prefs.

Quote:
My system just locks up after running YAD for a few minutes with live icons switched on.

Quote:
Drawers and files all mixed together in the lister

Yes. That's original behaviour of Workbench. Just checked and it looks like one can change that in Workbench nowadays. So it means more new stuff to Prefs.

Many of your wishes requires some work to Prefs and also asking translators to do new catalogs for any new stuff.

Thanks giving feedback.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
Yes. Is multiselect nedessary ?

Of course it is, specially when you're using a proper desktop drawer, it soon becomes cluttered and difficult to use. I don't really want to have to drag 50 or more icons one at a time to somewhere else when I should be able to shift click or lasso and do a single drag. Considering workbench has had that function for 25 years YAD should too. One little idea for you that afaik no other desktop does is to have a "select similar" option. Say a user clicks on a jpg or lha on their desktop the 'selects similar' (maybe via a menu) and all other files with the same extension are selected ready to be moved/copied/deleted whatever...

Quote:

Of course you should, don't think of it as 'using the same kb shortcuts', think of it as 'using the standard, well known shortcuts'. It's a desktop, users will not want to learn a completely new set of shortcuts and then have to remember which one to use on which screen. Another thing is using different shortcuts can lead to 'very bad things' if a user uses a shortcut in the wrong desktop.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin

Quote:
multiselect

Quote:
I don't really want to have to drag 50 or more icons one at a time

You are right. New features creates new needs.

Quote:
"select similar" option. Say a user clicks on a jpg or lha on their desktop the 'selects similar'

There's already a filter selection in File Tool menu. It doesn't select files by their type currently (I just got an idea how to do that in easy way) but if you use name extensions with your files usually then you can do that. (You can also sort drawers by file types.)

Quote:

Quote:
Of course you should, don't think of it as 'using the same kb shortcuts', think of it as 'using the standard, well known shortcuts'. It's a desktop, users will not want to learn a completely new set of shortcuts and then have to remember which one to use on which screen. Another thing is using different shortcuts can lead to 'very bad things' if a user uses a shortcut in the wrong desktop.

You're absolutely right.

One change to my previous post after thinking the second time:
Quote:

RAMIGA+. is a Clean up option. YetAnotherDesk performs automatic clean up to all drawers so if I added a Clean up option into menus it wouldn't do anything that wasn't done already.

Actually I got a new idea. Maybe I'll add "No sorting" option into Sorting menu. Also that option to change order of dirs and files should be added (not only Prefs but menu also).

I'm wondering how much work all of this will be.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »