Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

Templario, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Adding *.7z archives support to os4depot ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
It is possible that admins of OS4depot can add access to uploading 7z archives (which we all can use already on os4) ? That is pretty good and popular packer today.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Adding *.7z archives support to os4depot ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Would be nice as its compresses better then lha and lzx.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I can see just one problem I think... as long as everyone keeps away from iso images...

also, some of us don't have a SWAP partition

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

Only if it's possible to unpack from a clean os4install with unarc.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
To ne honest I prefer lha as standard OS4Depot archives, maybe we can add lzx too but not other "alien" formats, to open 7z archives users needs to install extra packages into their system ...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

You can extract .7z with UnArc if you have installed the 7z XAD client.

If it's a problem that it has to be downloaded and installed by the user maybe the 7z client could be added as an OpenAmiga project for including with the OS...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00

Quote:
If it's a problem that it has to be downloaded and installed by the user maybe the 7z client could be added as an OpenAmiga project for including with the OS...

Would be cool, i will add also XadRAR support from ChrisY

@orgin

OT, we have latest DCRaw in queue on OS4Depot, can you unlock it ?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@samo79

It's PP-protected by Fredrik Wikstrom.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

I just checked my e-mail and I couldn't find any mail asking if it was OK to replace the file. In any case it's OK by me to replace it with the newer version by samo79.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@salass00

Done

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin @salass00

Thanks a lot

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79

XAD_RAR is already open source, but it contains a lot of code which isn't mine - including a library I had incredible trouble finding a working download of. To include it with the OS it would probably need permission from all the authors - and I suspect the library was taken down for a reason or at the very least would indicate the author is uncontactable.

I think, that one, might be a legal battlefield.

XAD 7-Zip is much simpler - based on Public Domain and "do what you want with it" code and my own. If you think it should be in the OS I'm open to that, but it's really a matter for Hyperion.

I think 7z struggles with Amiga file protection bits and comments, which is a bigger problem for an Amiga archives site.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Chris

Should you want to add XAD 7-Zip to openamiga.org then contact me or add a project on your own.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin,chris
That will be pretty cool if 7z unpacker will be added to OS over openamiga, then we can upload those files on os4depot => easy for everyone.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Yep in that case it should be possible

@Chris
Ok so maybe we can go to 7zip, it can't replace RAR i presume, but it's better than nothing, off couse if Hyperion agree..

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79

Quote:

Ok so maybe we can go to 7zip, it can't replace RAR i presume

* It has better compression than RAR.
* It is fully open source and documented unlike RAR.
* We have a native (ported) 7-Zip archiver unlike RAR.
* The person who wrote it is pretty helpful, if there was any interest in adding support for Amiga protection bits and comments (and whatever else we need) to the format officially, I daresay that would be possible.

Yes, I think it can replace RAR, which nobody can use on the Amiga anyway as the archiver part can never be ported AFAIK.

I think it could even replace LhA and LZX with the last point above, and a proper written-for-Amiga archiver which adds those attributes and manages to support Amiga paths properly (p7zip had problems with non-UNIX paths last time I checked)

Such an archiver should be part of any OpenAmiga project. It probably doesn't need to be part of the OS, but if this is about OS4Depot supporting 7-Zip archives, then it must be a requirement.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I guess what I said was too vague

Didn't we touch on a problem regarding this archiver some months ago in that it needs to expand it's whole image in memory before writing it or even worse?

That is why I had references to iso images, especially ones that haven't been compressed by the iso software first... maybe this isn't much of a concern because most of the stuff won't be on an iso LOL

but it's a concern none the less

It doesn't worry me too much anymore since I'll have at least 1 gig of memory from now on... I do recall though while I had a SWAP partition and only 512 Megs on my 667 it took some time to uncompress and write a 700k iso cdrom file

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Slayer

Yes, it does decompress everything to memory to extract a single file. That's how the SDK code the XAD plugin uses is coded, it isn't an inherent problem with 7-Zip. It could be fixed by somebody who has the time to hunt through and fix it.

I'm reluctant to make major changes to SDK code as I have to manually patch up the code every time I move to a new version. I suppose putting it in SVN would help here...

I'll sort out an OA project. In the meantime somebody might like to try building a version of 7zDec which doesn't decompress everything to memory, or start on a command-line archiver which supports AmigaOS properly. The LZMA SDK is at http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html (use 9.12beta ANSI C for any code which needs to be added to XAD_7z)

Go to top

Register To Post