Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Replaces
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I have some suggestion related to os4depot: The only problem which i see now, it's "replacemtns" of old archives by the new ones from different authors.

For example, let's see about FilletNG game. 3 years ago Toaks port some version to os4. Then, 2 weeks ago i port new version of it.

These ports are different. And can contain different bugs (one developer do good version (there for example Toaks) and other one (for example i am) do bad version). But old files are just overwrites and no one will found anymore "Good version" - what is really bad.

The same problem going to the XMP plugin for example. Salas00 port some XMP plugin for tunenet, then, later, Crhis ported new one, but, if he will upload new on os4depot, it will be erased old one, done by Salas00.

So, the problem there is pretty big one, because no one want loose his job just by some owerwriting from other ppls (which can be as well as bad, as well as good).

Confirmation on emails, did not make sense too, because mails is changes, ppls dies :) (or just out of business), and all in all, first authors will not want to check by which will be their archive overwrites.

There i see one way to solve the problem:

Just give the same archives with the same name, but with the additonal word to the archive itself, like:

Fillets_ng_v0.5.2_by_toaks_2005.lha
Fillets_ng_v0.9.2_by_kas1e_2009.lha

XMP_tunenet_v.xxx.by_salas_2008.lha
XMP_tunenet_v.xxx.by_Chris_2009.lha
(i know, that for example XMP plugins/players have some problems before, then it was fixed. No one can say that in new version by other author, we not have the same bugs, but old one (good version) will die when overwrites :( )

Something like that. Or maybe not broke/change archive name, but still, upload it different, and give different desctiptions.
I mean done that on os4depot level. Like someone upload archive, os4depot (or it's manually for now ?) scan the system, and then if the same file present but by different author - change name or archive (or desctiption).

Imho that pretty serius problem at moment. Some ppls (Crhis), just do not want to upload some necessary files to OS4depot just to avoit that misunderstoods, and some ppls just fear (i am) overwrite some other ports done by other ppls.

And as i say before, confirmation on emails, did not make sense too (see above).

Edited by kas1e on 2010/1/9 12:21:54
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Replaces
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
And one more suggestion (which i think will be not added because of HD space, etc, but still .. )

I talk about old version which done by the same author. For example, we have "neat framework". It was already version 0.1 / 0.2 and 0.3. Maybe will be cool, to show for users (when they search) only last version, but, some kind of button, or references to the all old ones ?

I know that is not so good, because it's will increase HDD space very much, but, that will give users a choice and big area for tests and bug reports.

Maybe not all the versions save, but for example first one, and middle one ? (just calculate beetwen all avail versions).

Anyway it's just an idea, maybe owners can think about it and realise it better somehow ..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

If one replaces the same program with a newer one. I think the files should be replaced. No need for older versions to be there. Would be more confusing i believe. But if the newer version has bugs then the author must fix these.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

But if programm just the same, but done just by diffent authors ? I am talk not only about ports. About the same programms, but which can have different look, diffrent code, different speed, diffrent feel.

It's not about only "the last version is better". It's about that different authors do different works. And diffrent programmer do different ports, different bugs. One can be good, other one can be bad (new one. who overwrite old/good programm, and will never fix any bugs anymore).

One programmer are good, other one (new one) are bad. I not want to replace old file which done by some man, because i know, how bad i code if compare with previous one (as example).

As you see in example about FilletsNG game - the difference here are 3-4 years. And realisation was different. One port have icon (old one) for the game. New one not have icon (my one). Why works on it (even if we talk only about icon) must die, because of new upload ? That is bad.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

If like ctorrent ports i agree that one can have them all on the depot. But one can just call it another name and its not overwritten.

X5000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

The usual system is to upload under a different name rather than replacing the old version.

If I update something which wasn't mine to being with I change the filename (even if it is just adding _os4 or _68k or something), although it looks like I didn't do that back in the days when I took over GuideML (latest v2 and v3 is available, v1 with none of my code isn't - although it was still on shredzone last time I looked). iSpell on OS4Depot has two versions - the original port, and one by Alexandre Balaban. I updated the original and uploaded it under a new name, Alex updated mine and replaced it - so my version is no longer available (to be fair, I did ask Alex to take over maintaining it, and there is no reason to use my version over his)

Perhaps OS4Depot should implement a system where if the original author can't be contacted, the file isn't replaced - rather then the existing one where files are replaced regardless if there is no response.

Independent ports can be an issue, updates to existing (ported or otherwise) code generally isn't. If there is a big interface change then the author should probably not replace the previous version unless there is a way to make the app operate like the old one.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

I tryed before upload FilletNG with different name (like FilletNG_2009) or kind, and it was renamed to old one name, and replaced.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
I think it is sufficient to put your own name or coder handle as part of the filename, but the year is not necessary.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@logicalheart

Yep. What will owners of os4depot say ? Just upload new archives with a bit different name ? Will it changes and replace old one as before, or it will be works now ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

You can ask Orgin on IRC, or just leave a note to the maintainers when you upload it (there's a textfield for that).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MickJT

As far as i remember, i try to do it twice (notice) , but still, it was renamed to the name which already present on os4depot, and replaced. Still, i think, there is must be some kind of other solution for that ..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

filename_readadminnoticedontrename.lha :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MickJT

:)) yes, i think that will be "the solution" :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT

Quote:
filename_readadminnoticedontrename.lha

It'll still get renamed!

Go to top