Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

need help installing OS4.1 on my Sam- SOLVED !!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
starting from a clean slate & installing OS4.1 from CD on a brand spanking new Sam flex @ 800, 1 GB Ram,Western Digital 250GB SATA HD, Radeon 9250, & SATA DVD

The Sam keeps hanging at the editing partition screen i.e sometimes it lets me create a few partitions then hangs & other times I finish creating all my paritions but it wont let me save
I checked the ram and it's ok..at first I thought trying t install debian messed up the HD but I've got a totally new HD now so that's not it....scratching my head & thinking maybe its a defective Sam from the factory but I assume they test them before sending them off....anyone have this problem

.SIDE NOTE:
...just opened up the case to have a look while waiting to see if Sam will let me click 'save to disk' after partiotioning the drive....noticed the CPU is hot to the touch at the top of the heat sink...seems odd that ACube didnt install a CPU fan

Edited by 328gts on 2009/9/8 21:04:04
Edited by 328gts on 2009/9/11 15:02:39
Edited by 328gts on 2009/9/11 15:33:54
mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Re: need help installing OS4.1 on my Sam
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@328gts

But Debian Linux worked fine ??? Were you able to boot into Debian ?

Did you ever installed OS4.1 before from CD on your SAM, or was it preinstalled.

Maybe HD is broken, or the OS4.1 CD is broken (burn it on another machine onto another CD...). Or this happens to me often:

CD-Drive is somehow broken (my one only boots if the sam is already running for an hour or so... strange....). I for example cannot boot from CRUXPPC CD, whereas other user can without having a kernel panic...
maybe check SATA cables, and unplug them...

Just a few thougts, should be Hardware related problem. Ah one more... not Hardware related. Try to lower Transfermode in UBoot for your Drives. Search for "DMA" here or on AW.

greetings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
what filesystem are you using? have you set the correct settings for it?
try to make an up to 2 gb partition for swap, an other one up to 4 gb for system,
install os4 on the system and after that you can add as many partitions as you like.
i had a language problem once during installation same as yours
while i was trying to install os4 classic in greek.
if you use other than english language for installation this may give you some errors.

A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.2.2 | A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.2.2/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.FE | PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.FE/MorphOS 3.17
MacMini1.5 MorphOS 3.17

Long Live Amiga
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@gerograph

Quote:

gerograph wrote:
@328gts

But Debian Linux worked fine ??? Were you able to boot into Debian ?

nope..i gave up tryint to install Debian & really only wanna get OS4.1 running nicely
Quote:

Did you ever installed OS4.1 before from CD on your SAM, or was it preinstalled.

no never installed 4.1 on this drive YET...brand new drive & brand new Sam
Quote:

Maybe HD is broken, or the OS4.1 CD is broken (burn it on another machine onto another CD...).

no HD is fine..I already replaced it...will try booting from another 4.1CD tonight..also checked SATA cables

[quote]
Just a few thougts, should be Hardware related problem. Ah one more... not Hardware related. Try to lower Transfermode in UBoot for your Drives. Search for "DMA" here or on AW. [quote]

..how do i lower transfer mode in UBoot??...I've never used it before so I'm a UBott newbie

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

amije wrote:
what filesystem are you using? have you set the correct settings for it?
try to make an up to 2 gb partition for swap, an other one up to 4 gb for system,
install os4 on the system and after that you can add as many partitions as you like.
i had a language problem once during installation same as yours
while i was trying to install os4 classic in greek.
if you use other than english language for installation this may give you some errors.

yes I have set all the proper setting as per the OS4.1 start up manual...the system partition is the only bootable partition...problem is I can't save the changes...keep pressing 'save changes' button but nothing happens....mouse still works, can move windows around..but can't open up any other windows etc..

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@328gts

Enabling DMA on SAM:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... _id=27603&forum=14#467332

AND READ:

SYS:Documentation/IDE/sii3114ide_dev.doc

(In this case on your CD-ROM) You will find some examples how to set up DMA/Transfermode in UBoot.

But honestly, why not send SAM back to your dealer and ask for a preinstall ?? My feeling says it should be hardware issue (I am 80% sure...)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

gerograph wrote:
@328gts

Enabling DMA on SAM:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... _id=27603&forum=14#467332

AND READ:

SYS:Documentation/IDE/sii3114ide_dev.doc

(In this case on your CD-ROM) You will find some examples how to set up DMA/Transfermode in UBoot.

thanks for the info

Quote:

But honestly, why not send SAM back to your dealer and ask for a preinstall ?? My feeling says it should be hardware issue (I am 80% sure...)

..thats the last ditch effort for me as I have always managed fix everything on my classics myself....if and when I feel I've tried everything on my end then back it goes...and also I enjoy troubleshooting

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts

You can't save the partition prefs? Is the docky showing on the bottom? I don't really remember how it looks like when you run the installer,long time ago i did that. Got pre installed system

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
PROBLEMS SOLVED !!!! Yahoooo ....did 2 things..1-i noticed the jumper on the back of my hd was loose..so i replaced it with a tighter one and 2- i replaced my LG DVD with a new LiteOn DVD & works like a charm ...
(...seems my Sam didn't like 2 new LG DVD drives so I would stay away from them if your'e thinking of getting one for your Sam)

thanks to AmigaKit for the support!!!

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@328gts

I'm glad you managed to get your SAM working OK with a little help from AmigaKit who IMHO always give excellent customer support.

Perhaps you should edit your thread title to include the words SOLVED.

Enjoy your SAM/OS4.1 experience.

TrevorD

AmigaOne X1000 betatester
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TrevorDick

done & thanks

mancave-ramblings

Go to top