Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
pthread (Hijacked into TuneNet thread)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi!

Is there a pthread implementation for AmigaOS? As I wrote at another place, I am parallel to the current work on xMame 1.06 for OS 4 I am working on a port on a new Mame implementation based on Mame 1.23 which has a complete new implementation of the OS dependent layer.

This layer uses pthread. Of course I could reimplement the code part in question using IExec functionality, but using pthread would have the advantage of making portability for future Mame Updates higher.

So my question: Is there a pthread implementation for OS 4, and if yes, could someone point me to where to get it from ? (complete with makefile+source preferred, the crosscompiler I use is quite an old one, not sure if it is still compatible with recent stuff, as you know I have been - away for quite a while from the Amiga scene).

Thanks in advance.

Steffen Haeuser

Edited by Mikey_C on 2009/5/26 17:28:20
Go to top
Re: pthread
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MagicSN

Have you look at:

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... library/misc/pthreads.lha

Check also the new Hyperion SDK, maybe a newest version are there

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

Thanks a lot.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MagicSN

You are welcome

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79

Don't use the one on OS4Depot, use the one in the SDK!

Chris

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MagicSN

pthreads.library is part of OS4 since V52.
samo97's link points to threads.library that was superseded by pthreads.library and should not be used anymore.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
samo97's link points to threads.library that was superseded by pthreads.library and should not be used anymore.

I gather your advice is directed soley at Steffen from a developer standpoint?

Because depending on version of Tunenet and MPlayer used, failure to install threads.library will produce system error message "Can't open threads.library"

Added: Located another thread which also indicated (as of February, 2009) that the transmission bittorrent client also requires threads.library.

Edited by number6 on 2009/5/23 0:41:59
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@number6

Software linked with the old pthreads needs threads.library. Of course it's OK to install this for existing apps - when the code is recompiled with the new SDK it will get linked to the new pthreads which doesn't need it.

The need for threads.library will diminish as software is updated/recompiled.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@number6
Quote:

I gather your advice is directed soley at Steffan from a developer standpoint?

Yes.

Quote:

Because depending on version of Tunenet and MPlayer used, failure to install threads.library will produce system error message "Can't open threads.library"

Added: Located another thread which also indicated (as of February, 2009) that the transmission bittorrent client also requires threads.library.

All that programms should be updated to use pthreads.library.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
All that programms should be updated to use pthreads.library.

Sure. I just wanted to be certain that any users of those programs did not mistake your sound advice concerning development to mean that the old threads.library could merely be deleted from their systems.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Software linked with the old pthreads needs threads.library. Of course it's OK to install this for existing apps
No, it's not. The old threads.library doesn't work (not sure if it ever did without problems, at least it doesn't with current versions of AmigaOS 4.x) and you may get random crashes. It's even worse if you run old software using threads.library and new software using pthreads.library or libpthread.so at the same time. You should send bug reports to the deveopers of programs which still use threads.library instead, all they have to do is to rebuild the software with a current SDK, changes in the code aren't required.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

If i do a search for threads.library in SDK for os4 i see these files needs it.

sdk:Local/C/perl
sdk:Local/C/perl5.8.5
sdk:Local/newlib/lib/libpthread (this uses pthreads.library, sorry)

Can i just delete the threads.library or do i still have to use it ?
Im no coder. Ofcourse if a program asks for i would need it.

Edited by Kicko on 2009/5/23 13:16:03
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@joerg
Quote:
It's even worse if you run old software using threads.library and new software using pthreads.library or libpthread.so at the same time.

Can you elaborate a bit on the underlying problem? How do they trample each other?

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:
@joerg
Quote:
It's even worse if you run old software using threads.library and new software using pthreads.library or libpthread.so at the same time.
Can you elaborate a bit on the underlying problem? How do they trample each other?
AFAIK both use the same pointer in struct Process for their own thread data.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Kicko

Quote:

Kicko wrote:
@joerg

If i do a search for threads.library in SDK for os4 i see these files needs it.

sdk:Local/C/perl
sdk:Local/C/perl5.8.5
sdk:Local/newlib/lib/libpthread
SDK:Local/newlib/lib/libpthread.a and libpthread.so use pthreads.library, not threads.library. If you have versions using the ancient threads.library installed you overwrote the ones included in the SDK.

Quote:
Can i just delete the threads.library or do i still have to use it ?
If you need software which still uses threads.library like perl and there is no replacement using pthreads.library yet you can't delete it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kicko

I suspect you simply searched for threads.library?

'thread' is a substring of 'pthread' libpthread uses pthread

but your right about perl. It really needs an update for anumber of reasons, but I haven't the time just now. Too busy with blender. (which'll be ready in about two weeks TM).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

I run OS4.1 & both Transmission & TuneNet refuse to run without the threads.library. I know pthreads lib is the newer version, but Bean's disappeared & Transmission isn't supported all that well. The threads.library is still needed if you use those 2 apps, like me.

By "refuse to run", those 2 apps put up a shell window saying it can't find the threads.library.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sundown
Please keep in mind that it was an answer to a developer. Read it as:
Quote:

samo97's link points to threads.library that was superseded by pthreads.library and should not be used anymore in new programms.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Your totally right. I used a search on sdk:Local/newlib/lib/libpthread and it uses pthreads.library. I just missed there was an "p" before threads :) Only this file slipped my fingers.

Oh Tunenet i use often... Undelete threads.library :)
For transmission i use rather ctorrent.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sundown

Hi,

I'll look into it this evening.

Cheers,
Bean.

OS4.1 + an A1XE with an appetite for batteries!
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »