Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 119

joerg, Rob, VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS 4.1 rfs?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have finaly recived my os4.1 from amikit now upon installing ing the os it asks if you want to install or upgrade, i have done a new install but wanted to use the new file system, so i made 3 partitions, the first was a 40gb main then a 7gb swap then the 3 was the rest of the drive which was a 160gb hdd now when i select the new filesystem which is rfs i think(no on a1 at work now sorry) i can make the partions and save them, reset system then i cant see them to format them.

Mow how do i see them under the instalation process to format them and use them, anyone know?

Go to top
Re: OS 4.1 rfs?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

blocksize 512 or something like that ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@caver99

I suggest you reread the manual that came with your OS 4.1 : 7gb for the SWAP Blocksize is important.
Is the HD a new one or was it already used in the A1 before ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
yes 7gb was the size of the swap and yes it was used for 4.0 before, whats the best way to re-use it, remove partitions then reboot, does the manual tell you how to use the new file system as i did'nt see that in there but will have another look later, and i will try the 512 block size as i would realy like to try this.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@caver99

Pages 14 & 22, of the OS4.1 quickstart guide explains about the Swap partition. It uses 4096 blocksize and should be twice your physical ram, up to a maximum of 2GB.

Page 23 discusses JXFS, but doesn't actually state using a blocksize of 512, but from forum posts that is the correct size to use.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Also, you can't use JXFS for a system partition. The SLB can't boot from a JXFS partition yet.

The Swap partition must be 4096 byte blocks, but don't bother trying to format it. It's just used as a big linear storage space for memory images, and does not use a filesystem. Its filesystem must be "SWAP" and the identifier "53574150".

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ok, sorted it now, i have a 40gb sfs/00 boot, 7gb swap and the rest is the jfxs file system working great and boots fast aswell love it now.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@caver99
Dare I ask why you need *40GB* for the boot partition?!?! I felt that 1GB was over the top.

I hope you won't be installing programs on the boot partition, as that's very wrong - because if you need to reinstall OS4 (or upgrade from scratch) then you loose everything.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Dare I ask why you need *40GB* for the boot partition?!?! I felt that 1GB was over the top.
You could also dare to ask why a 7GB swap partition, when the max allowed is 2GB??????

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@caver99

I think you might be using JXFS? If so there are a few important things to keep in mind. First, the block size has to be set at 512. Second, Amiga OS 4.1 does not yet support booting from a JXFS filesystem.

I would recommend booting from the regular FFS (select long file name support) since it has the best salvage tools.

Good luck,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Go to top

Register To Post