Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

joerg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Installed OS 4.1 on my AmigaOne :-)
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@AmiKit

Quote:

AmiKit wrote:
Or should I leave the job to AmiUpdate? Is it part of the OS?

It's always advisable to update to the latest versions of any software unless there are known problems, in which case an update should fix it :)

AmiUpdate doesn't come bundled with OS4.1, no, but it can be downloaded from www.amiupdate.net.

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @AmiKit
And one more question or two, what programs should I patch/update right after installing OS4.1?

The png.iconmodule (png_im.lha from OS4 Depot) is absolutely necessary. If you want to look at icons in OS4.0 or get tooltypes for OS4.1, you'll be hurting without this library. Elf your self!

@Rigo
Make sure the volume is turned up on ALL music units in the AHI prefs
The Unit 0 and Unit 1 are 'ghosted & muted'. I'll have to play around AHI to get them un-ghosted some how.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AmiKit

Thanks for the order

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

You processed the order very quickly. Thank YOU! I am looking forward to postman

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmiKit

I think you will like it, USB mass storage, works allot better whit AmigaOS4.1 then it did whit OS4.0, now my photo camera works.

the new transparency stuff eats alot of RAM, there are some benefits none blocking screens, its fater when there are only a few windows open, but if there are lots of graphics is can slow down, we need faster garaphic bus on Amiga compatible computers.

oh and I think MiniGL2.0 is faster and better as well.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

I wish there is a Magellan for OS4. Every time I switch to A1/OS4 I feel handicapped. Things that take me a moment in Magellan, take ages in OS4 to achieve. I know it's more about habit but anyway...

Edited by AmiKit on 2008/12/3 9:40:10
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

Quote:
Thanks for the order

Arrived today, wow, that was fast! And very well packed. Many thanks! Resized Image

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiKit

Quote:
Things that take me a moment in Magellan, take ages in OS4 to achieve.

Could you tell us more and more closely what are such functions ? Thanks in advance.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Just a quick answer for now, for example, unpacking the archives.

In Magellan it is enough to drag and drop the archive from source to eg. RAM: to have it unpacked.

In OS4, first I need to switch the window to show all to see the lha archive, then to doubleclick the archive to run UnArc. If that doesn't work I have to start UnArc manually and locate the archive. Then it asks me for the destination folder even though the RAM is specified in ToolTypes as a default destination folder. When archive is unpacked and I open RAM:, I need to switch the window to Show all. Nothing is there so I need to Refresh the content from right-mouse menu to see the unpacked folder, etc.

Well, I know the plain OS3.x behaves the same, I just need to configure it a little. I just thought it's somehow more 'user friendly' in OS4.0.

How do you it configured guys?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiKit

Quote:
Then it asks me for the destination folder even though the RAM is specified in ToolTypes as a default destination folder.

This doesn't happen here. I've DESTINATION=T2: tooltype in UnArc (T2 is my temp partition). I think it was some older version of UnArc which had that problem. (I've ver 52.5.)

Quote:
When archive is unpacked and I open RAM:, I need to switch the window to Show all.

RAM disk icon is ENVARC:sys/def_RAM.info so open that file in WB/Icons/Information and switch it to show all files and then save. That way your RAM disk will show all files always.

I've configured UnArc so it doesn't start unpacking automaticly because all archives don't have all files packed in a single directory. So I want to always check everything before starting unpacking manually (pressing a button).

Quote:
first I need to switch the window to show all to see the lha archive

I've created myself a temp partition where I download everything. So I've changed that partition to show all files and also sorting them by date and saved that option.

Quote:
then to doubleclick the archive to run UnArc. If that doesn't work I have to start UnArc manually and locate the archive.

Usually this works if system can recognize the file format. You can always add a new def_???.info icon into ENVARC:sys for new archive formats. I think it's Deficons commodity which handles file format recognition in WB.

Quote:
Nothing is there so I need to Refresh the content from right-mouse menu to see the unpacked folder, etc.

You can install AutoUpdateWB commodity. This will update all WB drawers automaticly.

Some people have said they like in Magellan doubleclicking the screen background to open a new drawer on screen. There's ContextMenus commodity. When you click your right mouse button you'll get a popup menu where's "Open a drawer..." menu item. Click it so it will open an ASL file requester. Select or type a path to a drawer you want to open and click the "Open" button. So that way it's like using Magellan.

You can also install and test WBLister or YetAnotherDesk from os4depot. Tell me if you like them or don't. I'm the developer of them both so I want to know how people like them and also what are those great features of other desktops so I can (consider at least) possibly try to implement such functionality to those two apps. Unfortunately they're far away from completed. And we haven't heard anything from the project attempting to port Magellan to AOS4.x if it will ever happen.

@AmiKit
More... ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Many thanks for the tips. I'll try them during the weekend when I have more spare time and let you know.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)