Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
172 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 170

MartinW, BSzili, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4 partitions for OS4.1
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Under OS4.0 I have two 1/2GB partitions next to each other, which have OS4pre2, and OS4pre3 on them.
I wondered if it would cause my system problems, as far as partition numbering etc, If I combined them in to one partition?

I would firstly make a note of the upper and lower cylinders of each, then remove them, and add a single partition using the upper and lower cylinders of the old partitions.

I want to use this as a swap partition, so should I set this up from the OS4.1 CD, or from OS4.0 first?

Thanks for any help.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: OS4 partitions for OS4.1
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

I don't know what are your problems but I suggest doing all your changes in OS 4.1.

At the same time, you will change the filesystem and format if necessary.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

I've done that, you lose one of the DHxx: designations, so it would show DH0 - DH1 - DH3, losing DH2 for example. If that bugs you, you can edit the partition designations & line them up again. I don't think that would require re-formatting as I can't remember having to do that. You would have to re-format any partitions that change size.

I've been told that a 1GB partition would work just fine.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sundown

Quote:
I've done that, you lose one of the DHxx: designations, so it would show DH0 - DH1 - DH3, losing DH2 for example. If that bugs you, you can edit the partition designations & line them up again. I don't think that would require re-formatting as I can't remember having to do that. You would have to re-format any partitions that change size.
I am not worried about losing, or skipping a partition number, because workbench uses the device names anyway. I just wasn't sure if it would cause me any problems.

Quote:
I've been told that a 1GB partition would work just fine.
Same here, that's why I was thinking of combining two consecutive 50mb partition's.

I have two hard drives in my A1, my primary drive of 80gb, and a 160gb one used mainly for back-ups. I want to move things around so I can boot 4.1 off the main drive.

Thanks for your help.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Swoop

You should not experience any problems in merging the two partitions in this way. Using Media Toolbox to do this will inform you when saving the chages to the drive which partitions will be destroyed. Provided you dont move the high and low boundaries, the neighbouring partitions should be untouched. If in doubt, backup everything before starting, which may not be a bad idea anyway.

Enjoy your SWAP partition, it's superb :)

Simon

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

What a are the benefits of having OS4pre2 and OS4pre3 with OS4 Final or 4.1?

I have backed up OS4pre4 and had problems when I tried to merge with an OS4 Final installation.

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Quote:
What a are the benefits of having OS4pre2 and OS4pre3 with OS4 Final or 4.1?

I have backed up OS4pre4 and had problems when I tried to merge with an OS4 Final installation.

None really. I just created a new partition for each os4 update as they became available, rather than upgrade each time.
As I had a 6gb drive in my A1200, an 80gb in my A1 seemed unfillable. Since then I have got in to photography, converting music for my mp3 player and downloading youtube videos (Tubexx rocks), and it no longer seems so large.
I want to merge them for use as a swap partition.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top

Register To Post