Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: Release 4.1 [460LE vs A1222]: The Price of Admission
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joerg
I have to agree Maijestro: today's emulation of OS4 on not-so-fast PC is good enough already. I sometime use OS4-for-classic on my not so fast 5 years old notebook, with 3GHZ one core CPU, and it quite fast. I mean for real, not like 25 years ago on Sun with UAE :) Boot time for about 20 seconds, 1920x1080, etc. Of course have issues and limitations, but still, if one need to work on OS4 away from home, then some notebook for 1000$ will give you pretty much "sam460" level (at least with WinUAE, with QEMU i have slower results).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
Of course have issues and limitations, but still, if one need to work on OS4 away from home, then some notebook for 1000$ will give you pretty much "sam460" level (at least with WinUAE, with QEMU i have slower results).
Using a 1k$ PC/Notebook with emulation, no matter if UAE or QEmu, for AmigaOS instead of a 1k$ Sam4x0 only make sense if you have no space left on your desktop for an additional system, or you need remote access.
But using any emulation will always have more issues than using any real hardware, for which the AmigaOS kernels are optimised for.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
And that annoys me no end! Anyone want to buy a lightly used Razer Core-X šŸ˜‚

[edit] thread moved on. That was in response to lack of external GPU support on m1!

Anyway, can we leave the Qemu topic out of it? Iā€™m well aware of whatā€™s happening in that space at the moment but Iā€™m looking at hardware options here.

I am errā€™ing with n the side of X5000 but Iā€™d have to sell some kit first. Just from a practical ā€œnot enough spaceā€ point of view. But I wasnā€™t aware of the /40 issue. Arenā€™t they all thatā€™s available now?

Amiga x5040 ı 16GB ı RX580
GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MartinW
Quote:

But I wasnā€™t aware of the /40 issue. Arenā€™t they all thatā€™s available now?

No sure if 5020 on sale, probably only 5040 ones left. But this of no big problem if you're not in 3D. It just by some luck, we find out one day that some games, which should be the same by speed or even faster on 040, were even slower (with the same GFX card and OS components of course). Like, 100 FPS on 5020, and 70 FPS on 5040. The issue wasn't even pinpointed by anyone in charge, it's just we with some users do some stress tests and find it this. But as i say if you're not in 3D you will never notice :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

Not especially into 3D. I mean, I am, but like I say, I've got what I'd consider to be better things for that than OS4. Not so say I wouldn't want to play something on it but it's not like we're going to see Elden Ring for OS4 any time soon :D

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MartinW
Then go for 5020 if any shop sold them still. If not, then, 5040.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

UBOOT sets up the GFX card, if it finds a card, why should it not work? I don't get it.

(don't care what MacOS or the Apple BIOS thinks it supports, if UBOOT finds a card, and initalize it, then it should work.)

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt
Quote:
UBOOT sets up the GFX card, if it finds a card, why should it not work? I don't get it.
From the denx U-Boot wiki
Quote:
Device trees are currently provided for the M1 Mac mini (2020, J274), M1 MacBook Pro 13ā€ (2020, J293), M1 MacBook Air (2020, J313) and M1 iMac (2021, J456/J457).
The SoC hardware support list doesn't include PCIe, and for all other current Macs it's probably not usable at all (yet).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Here is my 460LE vs A1222+ comparison:
Welterweight duel.
In Czech language as usual, the most interesting are cores on the end of articles.
Theoretical only, practical will follow.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Very cool and quite interesting thanks to google translate! When I see the pictures of both boards, I must say I somehow prefer the look of a fully stocked board so I somehow adore the A1222, like the Sam460EX compared to the clean, almost cheap look of the LE ;)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sailor
Quote:
Here is my 460LE vs A1222+ comparison:

Thanks for a very interesting writeup.
My A1222+ board is on it's way. Still has to make it from New York to the west coast of California but it made it through inbound customs.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)