Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 109

kas1e, kishigo, joerg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AmigaWriter on OS4.1 woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mufa

Aaaaaaahhh, thanks a lot mufa, that did it

locale.lib was the next thing i would have tried myself

after reinstalling OS4.1
and after reinstalling AW
and after driving to work a hundred times
and...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Would be helpful if someone (semi)-official would have commented on the issue (for example how safe to fallback to older locale.library, and what's going to be missed then).
Not that I'm using the apps in question (I bought AmigaWriter when it was available, used it seriosly once and dumped it in favour of LaTeX), but still.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Sorry but i missed something.. so to make amigawriter work what should i do ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
Aaaaaaahhh, thanks a lot mufa, that did it

locale.lib was the next thing i would have tried myself

after reinstalling OS4.1
and after reinstalling AW
and after driving to work a hundred times
and...

So have you had to restore v53.1, or go back to v52.1, of locale.library?

I have v53.1 installed on OS4.1 (the default) and it works OK.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

What are your locale settings.

I have english-british (iso-8859-1), and United Kingdom, on both OS4.0 and OS4.1, and AmigaWriter works on both.

I don't know what your settings, but if I select Israel the time zone is + 2 hours, and I obviously don't know what your language settings are, but if I clear my languages, available languages shows the charset, and Hebrew shows iso-8859-8. I just wonder whether it is actually a charset bug?

Just for testing could you try english and united kingdom settings (with locale.library v53.1) and see if AmigaWriter displays the correct button text.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

Great points there...

OK, going back to locale.library 52.1 solved the issue

Then i tried with 53.1 and changing the locale prefs from
english_ISO-8859-15 (? sign) to english (8859-1 i think)
and it worked too, so it's an issue with the language set(?)

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
Then i tried with 53.1 and changing the locale prefs from english_ISO-8859-15 (? sign) to english (8859-1 i think) and it worked too, so it's an issue with the language set(?)
Brilliant, at least you have narrowed down the problem.
Now we need to get Dietlef pointed at this thread, he is the OS4 font/charset maintainer, among other things

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:

nubechecorre wrote:
@Jack

Sorry but i missed something.. so to make amigawriter work what should i do ?

I didn't get that either, could somebody be any more specific? I'm trying to run AW under OS4.1, installed from the original CD. All I get is an About window with no text in it, and an AmigaWriter window that is empty except for two small buttons with no text.

EDIT: Solved now, just changed locale's preferred language to plain "english".

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@trixie

There's a bug in current locale.library, as if you set English as preferred language, and German as second, quite a lot of programs (even some of the OS included ones) will show up in German instead of English.

@xenic

I see this thread is rather old, but just to clear up the redirected CG fonts issue, they have been redirected for old software presumably to avoid CG licensing issues. The required _bullet directory or some required files within it has IIRC never been included with OS4, so CG fonts have never worked anyway without some copying from old OS releases. As bullet.library does not support anti-aliasing it is actually better to keep the redirect in place.

The redirect works as diskfont.library reads the .font and .otag files to find out what sort of font it is dealing with. If .font says it is an outline font, .otag exists and points towards the outline font file. The redirect simply means that CGTimes.otag points to _truetype/DejaVuSerif.ttf (or whatever) instead of _bullet_outlines/CGTimes

There should be no compatibility problems provided software is using the OS to open the fonts. An app which accesses bullet.library and the fonts directly will fail to open them.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

There's a bug in current locale.library, as if you set English as preferred language, and German as second, quite a lot of programs (even some of the OS included ones) will show up in German instead of English.

I wonder if there's any news on this? I mean, fixing the current locale.library that breaks some older programs if you use a language different from English?

So far I have experienced problems with AmigaWriter 2 and ArtEffect 4 (broken GUI - program unusable) and TurboCalc 5 (program can be used but menus are not shown).

Removing the preferred language is a solution but it's quite impractical - I need the Czech codeset to use AmigaWriter and TurboCalc properly.

Edited by trixie on 2010/3/28 22:17:49
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

To be perfectly honest i wouldn't want the devs to spend time on fixing an issue that looks like as if it comes from those old programs

I myself used AW for a looong time and have now to find a good subsitute.
Cinnamon looks promising but needs still a lot of work to get in par with AW functionality, but i'm sure @desler will work on it

otoh due to the fact i have used AW that long i don't need to read the AW requester windows anymore, i just write, save and print with this empty windows

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

To be perfectly honest i wouldn't want the devs to spend time on fixing an issue that looks like as if it comes from those old programs

Before we write the software off: the question is where the issue actually comes from. So far we know that:

- with the previous versions of locale.library there were no issues with the mentioned programs;
- all works fine with no preferred languages (English as default);
- there is currently a confirmed issue with locale.library that causes programs to open in a second preferred language even though the first preferred language should be used.

So, something has changed or is broken in the library. That's why I'm asking for some updated info on the current status of locale.library development.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Seeing that Amigawriter was recently suggested to djrikki to be added to his webiste, i downloaded the 2.2 demo from the Alinea website, intalled it and tried it: nothing much worked. I could open a small new editing window, typing was much faster than i remembered under OS3.9, but that's the only positive thing i can mention.
Loading a document gives a crash.
Were this the observations when the thread was started, or are there new problems? ( I did use a non ISOfont input prefs,locale.library is 53.3 )

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hello.

AmigaWriter works fine for me.
I have the same locale.lib that you.
Whit my prefs without ISO, and works fine, I can type, save, print and load perfectly.

My system is a Sam 440flex with 1 Gb.

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ribdevil,
Thanks at least gives me hope it should work.
I jeust use the demo version. I do have a legal 68k coppy, can teh PPC version be activated with a key? (will have to look for it)

my computer is a SAM440ep

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Funny thing is, that the PPC (WarpUP) version works with my Pegasos II/OS4.1.2 setup, but crashes with more or less the same setup on SAM440ep. You might try the PPC binary. BTW there's no "switch", there's only two different binaries - one usual 68k and one named "AmigaWriterPPC".

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It looks like the demo i downloaded is 68 k verions.
The full version i have came from the Amithlon CD 68k too.
Installed it no better result.
I just tried to place an order on the alinea site, Amigawriter seems not to be available anymore?
If i understand the CD came with Amigawriter 2.0 PPC & 68k version?
What about the 2.2 update is it avaliable in both versions too?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
You can still obtain AmigaWriter from Vesalia - I bought mine last year. The CD comes with both flavours (68k/PPC). Both are patchable to version 2.20 (this is what I have on my systems here).

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
cha05e90
Thanks. I bougnt one

Go to top
Re: AmigaWriter on OS4.1 woes (fixed --> possible locale.library 53.1 or language set (� sign) issue)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Heres hoping that this specific bug has been fixed by a coming update

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)