Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmiCygnix on X1000
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am delighted to see that AmiCygnix runs on the X1000. (I didn't think to check that before I bought it.)

Two questions: To install it, would it be better to copy from my SAM460 or to download the lha and start over? (I assume I still might want to copy some configuration files to save time.)

Should it have its own partition, or is a simple directory good enough? For some reason, I gave it a partition on the SAM, but when I google "AmiCygnix" I noticed only directory installations.

Go to top
Re: AmiCygnix on X1000
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It depends if you know exactly what to move You need to get the lines in the user-startup and a few sobjs I think.

You *never* need a complete partition for a software. Install it in a directory where you want.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart
AmiCygnix contains quite a few file links. If the links are not reproduced correctly then your AmiCygnix may not work the same or may not update properly in the future. I would reinstall it on your X1000. If you want to just copy it then don't use the C:Copy command or Dopus4 because they will copy the links as files or not copy them at all. Workbench drag'n drop (ASyncWB) will copy links as links but you should check your destination to assure the links were reproduced correctly.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I would be inclined to do a clean install, and just copy your "AmiCygnix/Home/root" folder across. I've never tried this, but it ought to work.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Elwood wrote:

You *never* need a complete partition for a software. Install it in a directory where you want.
I guess I wasn't so much thinking of it as "a software" but as some sort of separate system, full of its own software. It goes in a folder this time. Thanks.
Quote:

xenic wrote:
@kilaueabart
AmiCygnix contains quite a few file links. If the links are not reproduced correctly then your AmiCygnix may not work the same or may not update properly in the future. I would reinstall it on your X1000.
Sounds like very good advice and I will take it. I'll probably try Chris' suggestion to copy my "AmiCygnix/Home/root" folder across, and see whether it works.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

I took the advice above and reinstalled AmiCygnix in my Apps: partition, now 4% full.

I use AmiCygnix primarily to run Sylpheed to keep up with some News Groups I have been active in for the last 15 years, although nowadays they are virtually moribund. I use an icon, Start_sylpheed.bat, that I leave out on my desktop. Although the icon since I installed anew is not as pleasing as the old one, being a screwdriver on top of a piece of fanfold paper with "SCR..." at the top instead of a Boing ball behind "AmiCygnix10", it worked beautifully, launching AmiCygnix almost instantly, with Sylpheed a split second behind, and shortly a count of new posts in the left side list.

So I was disconcerted to discover a few days ago that I had not changed my User-Startup file; it still had a line, "assign Cygnix: AmiCygnix:"! And it did the assignment without argument because at some point, early enough, I had moved my SAM640 hard drive into my X1000, and the assign command was finding AmiCygnix: on that drive.

I corrected that error immediately, once I discovered it: "assign Cygnix: Apps:AmiCygnix."

But, sadly, AmiCygnix now comes up slowly -- the screen itself fairly quickly, but I have to sit and wait while the bottom panel fills in and some app icons appear in the screen, and then Sylpheed opens in front of them. And then I have to click "Get" before the groups I am interested in get populated.

And if I wanted to use something other than Sylpheed, there's no AbiWord, no gnumeric, ...

I'm thinking I should go back to using the old AmiCygnix: partition, but what I should really do is probably obvious to everyone but me, so once again I seek advice.

Bart

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

Start myX11Setup and check options you are using and change 'Quicktransfer' to enable/aktiv to see if that makes any difference.

And maybe VideoMode to 'picasso96clonewbDB' (double buffer)

Edited by jabirulo on 2014/3/26 9:46:58
Edited by jabirulo on 2014/3/26 10:22:59
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

If starting the AmiCygnix desktop and other programs is slow, it is always a good idea to refresh all caches. Please launch the script

Refresh-ALL-Caches.bat

you can find in

Cygnix:S/Utilities

The desktop must be down while updating the caches!

Afterwards try to lauch the desktop again.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jabirulo
If "Quick-Transfer: use" is what you mean by "enable/aktiv," that's the way it's set already. Ditto Videodriver:. Everything in the Apps: drawer version is set as in the partition version.

So next I try cygnusEd's suggestion.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd
I apologize again for using your personal e-mail a few minutes ago. It turns out I am able to get on to Amigans.net via Timberwolf. (Unfortunately, I cannot paste my mis-sent post in, so I retype.)

Your Refresh-All-Caches.bat suggestion worked like a charm. But I still have to click "Get" when Sylpheed comes up in order to get my new Usenet posts. How can I fix that?

Is it safe to copy missing software (AbiWord, GNumeric, etc.) from my other installation of AmiCygnix, or should I try to figure out how to reinstall it all?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart
Quote:
I apologize again for using your personal e-mail a few minutes ago. It turns out I am able to get on to Amigans.net via Timberwolf. (Unfortunately, I cannot paste my mis-sent post in, so I retype.)

No problem. Everyone is invited to contact me by this mail address.

Quote:
Your Refresh-All-Caches.bat suggestion worked like a charm. But I still have to click "Get" when Sylpheed comes up in order to get my new Usenet posts. How can I fix that?

Great!
Please choose the menu item "Configuration/Common Preferences" and activate "Check new mail on startup".

Quote:
Is it safe to copy missing software (AbiWord, GNumeric, etc.) from my other installation of AmiCygnix, or should I try to figure out how to reinstall it all?

I recommend to install these programs using the original packages you
can download on OS4-depot. Copying these packages by hand from an older
installation is not a good idea. It is not enough to copy the
corresponding directory in "Cygnix:Software", but you can copy your
personal data you may have in these directories.

Go to top

Register To Post