Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

trixie, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: I.... hate AmiDock...!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@alfkil

You would probably want to contact Centaurz he's author of the Winbar docky which obviously update itself quite often.

Now if you can come with a(some) properly written/documented enhancement requests I (or other betatester) can add them to the bugzilla. That's not a promise that it would be implemented but at least it will be recorder there ready for someone with goodwill to implement them.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alfkil

Quote:

there is no way to trigger a redraw from outside the docky

Use DOCKYGET_NeedsAttention for this. This is how a docky can be notified from an external task by signaling AmiDock process. Quite straightforward, this is how e.g. winbar is told to rethink its layout in response to a change in preferences, or Intuition windows list. A shared structure and a semaphore/mutex to protect the data.

IMHO the docky API is not too bad, the problem is the documentation was never finished.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
A good start for a new AmiDock would be for the docky to dictate the size of the icons it contains instead of vice versa...

Not scaling the contents by default feels so much like a low quality hobby product.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
AmiUpdate and Tunenet both have animated dockies attached to a larger program.

TuneNet's seems to be a "simple" application docky, as it just shows "application" and has the standard menus when right-clicking. Not sure how Paul achieved this, and unfortunately he's not available to ask. The menu thing means this would be of little help to alfkil anyway.

Edited by Chris on 2013/2/9 18:09:25
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@centaurz

Ok, good to know. But how exactly does this work? I get a message with a signal and a task pointer, and then I just send a signal to update the display?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

orgin wrote:
A good start for a new AmiDock would be for the docky to dictate the size of the icons it contains instead of vice versa...

I'd also like AmiDock to:
- provide access to the dock window so that programmers can create dockies utilizing standard Intuition gadgets (currently dockies can only draw into the window's rastport);
- act as an application manager that allows sending common Application Library messages to registered applications.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alfkil

You are notified about the task/bit to signal through DOCKYSET_DockyAttention (I would store it in the library base for an easy access by the main program).
When your program signals AmïDock, every docky is sent the DOCKYGET_NeedsAttention message, so it is a good idea to use a flag to know if the notification really comes from your program.

@trixie

Given how it works, AmiDock is not meant for Intuition gadgets at all, but for animated contents.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
- act as an application manager that allows sending common Application Library messages to registered applications.

It can do that already, well, provided the application has registered itself to show in the dock. If it hasn't, there's always AppManager.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Belxjander
Quote:
dock that is always following the user to the frontmost screen

Check AutoDock on os4depot.net.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

centaurz wrote:
IMHO the docky API is not too bad, the problem is the documentation was never finished.

We could really use help to finish it as well.

A good start might be to create a tutorial or maybe just start a page on the wiki (http://wiki.amigaos.net).

If somebody wants to help out and edit the wiki just send me an email. More editors are always welcome.

As for the includes & autodocs, they require source changes so the only way to help out there would be to provide updated docs which we can then diff and submit the changes. Again, email is the best way to send in corrections/additions/etc.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Re: Ok, I don't *hate* AmiDock, I am just frustrated about the lack of documentation for it...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Alfkil, did you solve your problem?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)