Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 124

sailor, Raziel, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

RunInUAE (r6) in Update 4 of AmigaOS4.1
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
It's a bit late, but I'm moving RunInUAE discussions from the Update 4 news item to this thread.

@TheDaddy Quote:
This is the monitor and these are its specs:
From what I can see it should be able to display low resolutions.

Haven't a clue I'm afraid. I just try it & see if it works or not. But that requires telling AmigaOS4 the correct specs for your monitor (at least if you get an "Out of range" type error)... or using "Detect settings automatically".

Quote:
The blockyness is present at 640 as 320 won't display.

The screen resolution won't make much (if any) difference to the blockyness, since the emulated Amiga will still be using 320x256 (etc) whatever the screen's resolution.

Quote:
Horizontal Frequency (Max) KHz VGA/HDMI: 15kHz ~ 83
DVI-DL: 30 ~ 140
Vertical Frequency (Max)Hz VGA / HDMI: 24Hz ~ 120
DVI-DL: 56 ~ 120

Quote:
This is what is present in ScreenMode preferences after selecting Radeon M9 Monitors:
Minimum VSync 50
Maximum VSync 120
Minimum HSync 28000
Maximum HSync 83000

On the assumption you are using DVI, your tooltypes SHOULD read:

Minimum VSync 56
Maximum VSync 120
Minimum HSync 30000
Maximum HSync 140000

But you can set those using Sys:Prefs/ScreenModes, from the Monitor tab.

WARNING, AS MENTIONED EARLIER, please make a backup of your (working) Sys:Devs/Monitors folder before making any changes. That way you can restore it if anything goes wrong. (In theory, enabling "Detect settings automatically" should be fool-proof, but your mileage may vary!)

Quote:
But if I click on Available Modes (always in ScreenMode preferences) only the 320x256 is present, no 320x240

That means AmigaOS4 thinks 320x240 is not displayable on your monitor, but 320x256 is. See what happens after you update the refresh rates.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: RunInUAE (r6) in Update 4 of AmigaOS4.1
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Chris

I am using HDMI as the DVI is used by the Win7 machines for gaming at 120HZ (using Dual Link DVI).

The SAM is connected via a DVI to HDMI.

So based on its specs I have told OS4 to use:

Horiz: 15000 ~ 83000

Vertical 24 ~ 120

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Weird...I keep telling OS4 to set Vertical to 24 - 120 and it keeps resetting it to 50 - 120...what the heck? :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TheDaddy

Well, first of all I'd recommend you use the values ChrisH provided because those values should work on 99% of todays displays even if those were not perfectly matching monitor specs. I can only guess but if the "Detect settings automatically" doesn't work something goes missing in the DVI-HDMI conversion.

About the display values: I've never ever heard of an display that would support 24Hz vertical refresh so either you have a really weird display/monitor there or something is really off. And besides, you would never really want anything below 60Hz anyways so there is no need to put anything below 50Hz there.

Secondly, have you checked the Radeon documentation what screen modes does that actually support? My Radeon docs say that the minimum vertical refresh rate it supports is 56Hz, and the minimum resolution is 640x480.

Edit:
Oh, and to get 320x256-mode horizontal refresh rate to the 30-80kHz range you must set the vertical refresh to 120Hz. If you are using something like 50 or 60Hz, it will be way under 30kHz (somewhere around 15-16kHz) and the chances are that it won't be recognized because of that.

Edited by flow on 2011/12/27 12:17:11
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi flow,

>>This is the monitor:

http://benq.co.uk/products/LCD/index. ... ecifications/product/1223

I think I am reading the correct values?!

I would need to find the specs for the Radeon M9 card to see what minimum vertical refresh rate the M9 supports...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Does all this really matter? Just set the correct monitor specs (or use Detect settings automatically), and then try 320x256 at various refresh rates (e.g. 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz).

I might even make RunInUAE add those resolutions at all 3 frequencies...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I have no access to Hyperion OS4 forums but you could inform Hypex on this thread:

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.b ... c.php?f=14&t=285&start=20

that the error message he gets is correct.

320x256 @ 60Hz would require a 16kHz of horizontal refresh rate and he has specified the range to be 31-85kHz.

I wish people would search what is the cause and not immediately blame that something is broken.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My main problem with RunInUAE is that it seems to have broken my WHDLoad configuration. Can't seem to find the keyfile even though I copied it all over the place, perhaps I have to put the keyfile with the OS3.x/S/ drawer or something. Not to fussed atm, not much time for playing old games.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki
As I have no idea how your WHDLoad was set-up before, I'm afraid I can't help with "broken my WHDLoad configuration". Although there isn't really anything it could "break", the key just goes in the S folder of the Workbench3.1 folder.

@flow
But before Update 3, AmigaOS4 would automatically Doubled the pixels, such that (IIRC) 320x240 only needed the same frequency as 640x480 (or maybe 640x240 or 320x480 ?).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I'm not saying the current behavior is "right" even if it functions by the specs. At least it could inform the user with the reason that user is actually trying to use a display resolution that uses horizontal refresh that is below the minimum allowed, and ask if user wants to use the double mode.

That way the user would know that he/she has wrong settings and could correct them.

It would be nice if some of the developers would chime in to that conversation on Hyperion forums why they dropped the automatic double mode. Probably it broke something else, and as the current behavior is really not wrong either, they decided to use that (hell, there could be a real bug also, but with all the data provided, it just seems people are giving false parameters and don't know better). I guess if it would inform the user better (with a pop-up?) what is wrong as it seems a lot of people don't seem to have a clue why the resolution they want is not allowed.

Edited by flow on 2011/12/28 9:18:12
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
With update 3 and RunInUAE installed separately the monitor wouldn't complain and it would display the game in the middle of the screen with white borders all around it.

Now were those 320 resolutions? If they were then the monitor can display 320...I'll try them on the Windows side...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheDaddy
No, they were NOT 320x... resolutions, but probably 640x480.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki

Are you using WHDLoad from me?

I have not installed Update4 yet, so I can tell you what it is, I guess you should check “def icons.”, and see it has correct default tool, there might also be some conflicting assigns.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post