Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
Video editing software bounty?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'd like to suggest a bounty for an video editing software that can add simple text/effects or sound to home made videoclips. With a easy to use reaction gui. Maybe with preview mode.

I think this is a quite essential software on any system.
I'd also like to see it as a part of future amigaos.

What's your thoughts?

X5000
Go to top
Re: Video editing software bounty?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Really nice idea!
But I will donate only if the program have visual editing GUI with video thumbs timeline(so a reather modern GUI).
I think that with avcodec.library that wasnt so hard to do...

Just to be celar of what I've in mind, the video editor shipped with WindowsXP was a rather perfect goal to achieve(maybe a bit simpler but not so much)...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Tuxedo wrote:
Really nice idea!
But I will donate only if the program have visual editing GUI with video thumbs timeline(so a reather modern GUI).
I think that with avcodec.library that wasnt so hard to do...

The avcodec.library doesn't include the encoders, which a video editor would need. The author was going to put those into a separate library. Perhaps it would be an idea to have a bounty for updating the avcodec.library and adding the avencoder.library first, and a video editor bounty later.

Before I got sidetracked into updating MiniGL and working on graphics drivers, I was working on creating a new video base datatype with modern features (multiple codec support, hifi multi-track audio, multiple video tracks, etc.). My ultimate goal was to write an AmigaOS video editor that used the datatypes for decoding and encoding. I still have the code, but no time to work on it. If someone with suitable expertise wants to take over, I would consider opening up the code.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

you're a great man with little time! :)

However, I talked about avcodec becasue I tought to use that to decode the videos to edit...

For the encode why dont simply mafe a raw(or something strandard) and than use ffmpeg to encode it?

Since we dont have a decent video editor, I thinik that the first thing we need was a decent one that can simply save in standard...for the encoders we have much time and using ffmpeg(or mencoder) was a rather usefull and easy way meantime imho...

no?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Tuxedo wrote:
For the encode why dont simply mafe a raw(or something strandard) and than use ffmpeg to encode it?

Outputting raw files and then using ffmpeg to encode it is rather ugly. It would be a hack done in order to avoid doing things properly.

BTW, libavcodec is part of the ffmpeg project, except its statically compiled into the binary. I really think that this should be done right. By using the avcodec.library and having an avencoder.library, the code will be usable by all applications that need it. Otherwise, every application that needs video encoding/decoding will end up having the entire libavcodec statically linked in (or using the ffmpeg binary externally which would be ugly). That is NOT the way that things are done on the Amiga.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
ffmpeg has some basic text overlay and video effects support. Of course a GUI is always better. I'm not sure i'd use it on my Sam Flex though due to speed.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Remember that we already have Blender, which has good video editing capabilities.

Varthall

AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Varthall

The problem is that blender requires 3d. Which the sam460 and radeonhd cards don't. And I bet people won't buy an old gfx card for that.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Blender is slow,

I have been thinking about hacking mplayer so it renders in to rastport/bitmap of a external application.

This way you have 2 mplayer's running, and do the audio/video mixing in a external program.

I don't know if this will work out.

This will only produce raw data, so has to be encoded.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique & LiveForIt
Those are two good observations, a simpler video editor for slower systems or with beta video drivers would be a good idea. I had some time ago the idea to update the FLTK port and after that try to port Open Movie Editor, but after Blender has been released I started using it instead. BTW Hans' idea to have the codecs inside a library, then to have an editor using it is even better, whileI don't think the idea of using 2 MPlayer instances at the same time and to hack them would be a good idea, it's much better to start from scratch and code a small native application, or port an existing software instead.

Varthall

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

The Amiga-way-of-programming(sadly) wasnt here from a while since now...
And having a littel tool that works fine with the only limitation that outputting raw instead of your preferred codec I think was really much than "better than nothing" imho...

And also better to have something like it "now" and than work on things like output decoders than first work on all the needed dependencies and than build the program imho...

And yes.. Blender was way slow...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Tuxedo wrote:
@Hans

The Amiga-way-of-programming(sadly) wasnt here from a while since now...

That's not true, and is also no excuse for trashy coding.

Quote:
And having a littel tool that works fine with the only limitation that outputting raw instead of your preferred codec I think was really much than "better than nothing" imho...

There already is something like that on os4depot.

Quote:
And also better to have something like it "now" and than work on things like output decoders than first work on all the needed dependencies and than build the program imho...

Except that it won't work well enough to be usable. I tried out a video editing program on Linux once that was like that, except that it could also only load one particular video format, which wasn't the format that my camera produces. As a result, it was totally useless, and it was quickly deleted from my hard-drive.

There is no point to have something "now' that "sort-of-works." Nobody will want to use it.

If you're going to start a bounty, then start a bounty for something done right. I'm not going to donate a single cent to a bounty that allows dirty hack jobs.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

I've also thought about this.
ktadd have done a good job on the backend of things; getting ffmpeg and mencoder to play nicely with effects, clips and text entered in a GUI.

Currently he uses mplayer to play a preview with the same parameters as ffmpeg/mencoder would get when doing the work.

Using libavcodec for displaying a thumbnail preview instead is not very far away. No need to create a mid-step with raw data or anything. Just create all clips (i.e. the time stamps), display it for the user with libavcodec and then supply the backend (ffmpeg/mencoder) with this data and voila: A video!

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
ktadd have done a good job on the backend of things

Link here: http://home.comcast.net/~ktadd/favorites/Videos_Hotlist.html

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

well..
I stated theat the program have to work fully without for the saving part...
loading and editing have to work fully...

Only saving can be done in other ways..

I explained bad?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Sounds like what ktadd have done is pretty much same what I've done in VideoEditor (the Os4depot) already. Maybe we all developers could collaborate a little bit more.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tsk

That would be a very smart idea. Istead of making many almost identical programs. Maybe we could get 1 thats even more advanced.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Tuxedo wrote:
@Hans

well..
I stated theat the program have to work fully without for the saving part...
loading and editing have to work fully...

Only saving can be done in other ways..

I explained bad?

No, you didn't explain it badly; I understand perfectly well what you mean, and I disagree strongly. I'm advocating doing things properly in a manner that we get a good foundation on which to build bigger and better stuff. You, on the other hand, want to go for the cheap and quick hackjob that will result in something that sort of works. If dirty hacks are good enough for you, then go ahead. I'm not interested.

If someone took the time to create an avencoder.library to complement the avcodec.library, then anyone who needed to could write a program that generates video files easily in a properly integrated and efficient manner. The encoders would be the same ones that are compiled into the ffmpeg library (as I said, libavcodec and ffmpeg are part of the same project, and avcodec.library is libavcodec as an Amiga library), so it's not that big a task to do this.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

If your VideoEditor uses avcodec.library it is further ahead than ktadd's not yet released app. Otherwise I guess about the same.

@Hans

I could very well be content with somthing like TSK's or ktadd's apps if they used avcodec.library as frontend being able to show a preview of the result, not just one clip at a time, since the transition between clips are what make cutting difficult.

A full featured editor like you propose is sadly nothing I expect to ever see on Amiga (although I would love to!) since the developer base seems to be shrinking, and those who are still here have growned up into families and jobs etc. and have very little time.

What I'm trying to say: I rather have a simple app than no app at all.

Edit: But for a bounty, yes, I would also expect "the real thing".

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
However, I talked about avcodec becasue I tought to use that to decode the videos to edit...

You asked for a fancy GUI, so I'd want that GUI/program to do this for me.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »