Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 57

K-L, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Timberwolf wont start/run?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi all ive just installed timberwolf and the installation went fine but whenit comes to running the browser nothing happens? Has any else had this problem?

Go to top
Re: Timberwolf wont start/run?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
You need to wait long time while first font-generation will happens (that will happens once). Also be sure you are not use FFS (it will very slow then)

Sure, will be good if brothers will add some progress indicator of font generation for next update of firefox.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
im using ffs so i guess that is why it is so slow:(
how do i change my partition to sfs?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Even on sfs and jfs it will be not that fast for first running.

To change partition from ffs to any other, the only way its make a new one, with that fs which you want to use. But in any case, i can say from all my expirience - never use FFS anymore.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye

Just copy files to another partition and reformat and copy back.

In mediatoolbox if i remember the name correctly.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye
While I would have said allow 10 minutes for Timberwolf to start the FIRST time it is run, since FFS is apparently slow you might like to allow a whole hour!

Then make sure Timberwolf quits properly (so it hopefully won't be as slow to start next time). i.e. Close it and patiently wait for it to quit before resetting/etc.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
While I would have said allow 10 minutes for Timberwolf to start the FIRST time it is run, since FFS is apparently slow you might like to allow a whole hour!

It takes about 30 seconds to load using ffs on my SAM460 as demonstrated at the ANT meeting!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Just tried for fun and clock it, 16,4secs on sfs2 partition.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there a step by step tutorial on setting up my hdd with sfs.?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well I hope you didn't partition the entire drive as 1 partition. That will make the process extremely hard. There's no way to convert from FFS to SFS without copying everything from one partition to another, changing partition type and reformatting.

So, depending on your current setup (and I assume you have both Work and Workbench, which as long as both can fit into each other, this is do-able), depends on the steps to take.

Is there a way to make that sound non-sexual?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have 3 partitions

DF0:AmigaOS 4.1
DF1:Work
DF2:Games

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Which partition do you want to change?

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
DF0:

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Remember that the first startup of Timberwolf can take quite long due to the font caching in FontConfig. You should give it a few minutes. The next startup will be substantially faster.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye

I assume you mean DH0: as DF0: is diskdrive.

Then first i'd create a temp directory on one of the other partitons that can hold the dh0. And enter the shell. And go to sys: And write copy #? all todestinationdrawer(example dh1:systemp/) And relax. :) Might take some time. When the copy is finished i'd boot the macine with the amigaos cd. start media toolbox,choose the harddrive, Edit partition. Then choose the partition you want to change, press select filessytem, and change to sfs2. Save changes. Might have to reboot again,but when you enter workbench again. Open a shell and copy all back to sys. And you're ready to go again.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye Quote:
I have 3 partitions

DF0:AmigaOS 4.1
DF1:Work
DF2:Games

My recommendation would be to do a COMPLETE BACKUP before changing your partitions at all, because this is a very risky process, and any mistakes could loose the contents of one or even *all* the partitions.

But this should not be such a hassle, since you should ALWAYS backup your computer anyway (be it AmigaOS, Windows or whatever) since something will eventually go wrong anyway (HD failure, virus, theft/fire, etc).

On AmigaOS it is rather easy to backup, bearing in mind a few OS4.1u2 caveats:

* Connect a second harddrive. USB harddrives will work, but rather slowly due to OS4.1u2 only supporting USB1.0, so if you have the technical know-how to connect a SATA or IDE drive then do that.

* Set it up as one big partition, if not already. Do NOT use the (PC compatible) FAT32 filing system, because this is buggy on OS4.1u2. Instead use FFS or SFS.

* Open it using Workbench, then drag each partition icon into the window. Workbench should then create an exact copy of all the files, although it may take a long time, so be patient. Probably best to copy the smallest partitions first, as those will be quickest. When all is done, wait a few seconds for the harddrive light to go out.

* Now shut-down your OS4 machine, and disconnect the harddrive. You should now hopefully be safe, should the worst happens. But if you are really paranoid (you should be!) then I strongly recommend TWO backu harddrives. That way you can't make a mistake with one backup (destroying it), and be left with no way to recover your computer.

* Make sure you know how to boot OS4 from your OS4 CD, because if you trash your AmigaOS 4.1 partition, then this is the only way you will be able to restore your backup. Probably a good idea to test this actually works, and that you can actually see the files on the backup harddrive. Yes, paranoia is the only way to be sure you don't have a nasty surprise!

@Antique Quote:
Then first i'd create a temp directory on one of the other partitons that can hold the dh0

I do NOT recommend this method for new users, or in fact anyone who values their files, because you could easily destroy the partition holding the backup.

The only way to be SURE you are safe is to have everything stored on a physically separate harddrive, which is disconnected while you are doing those risky partition changes. And yes, I do this all the time

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@chrish

Easily? I have done it this way the not so many times i had to. And worked like it was ment to.
Time is money.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So when ive backed up and reboot my sam and boot with the cd in how do i get sfs onto the hdd, do i need to burn sfs to a cd and locate the file system from that? sorry but im hopeless with amigas :)

i have just found this walkthrough although it is for the amiga one will it work in the same way with the sam440?

http://intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=en_SFS-walkthrough

Edited by carvedeye on 2011/6/14 20:57:16
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Maybe this will help: http://www.ngi-info.com/downloads/Ami ... _4.1_Sam440EP_English.pdf

Of course, don't actually go through all the instructions as they probably differ a bit from what you're doing. Just read it and you might gain an understanding of what to do.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@carvedeye
That guide you found tells you how to set-up SFS on an empty harddrive, and probably MickJT's guide does too. If you follow that without understanding, then you will probably completely wipe your current OS4 system (all partitions). It is also needlessly complicated, and also contains at least one error (the idea that .recycled files take space & should be deleted... they don't & shouldn't).

Here is a quick guide, although if you don't understand anything then cancel (i.e. don't save changes) and ask:
* Go to Sys:System folder, and run Media Toolbox.
* From the window, choose sii3114ide.device (if you have a Sam440 anyway).
* From the window, select your harddrive (the "Unit type" will be "Fixed hard disk"), and click on "Edit partitions and filesystem" button.
* You should now see a list of all your partitions! Click on the one you want to change to SFS, and then click on the "Select filesystem/edit details" button.
* From the Type list choose "SFS\00". Then make sure that Blocksize=512, Buffers=1000, Maxtransfer=7FFFFFFF, and Mask=FFFFFFFE. Once you are totally sure you got this right, then click on the "OK - accept changes" button.
* Now click on the "OK - accept changes" button in the main window. This will likely give you a warning saying that the contents of your chosen partition will be lost. If you see that any other unexpected partitions will be lost then please CANCEL, reboot, and then try again.
* Assuming all went OK, you need to reboot for OS4 to see the changes you made, so do so.
* This is where I am not sure exactly what you will see (going from memory), but I think Workbench will show something like "yourpartition: ???" where yourpartition is the name of your partition. Please click on this, then go to the Icons menu & choose Format. Give the partition a nice name, untick the Trashcan option (unless you actually use the useless Trashcan!), and then click "Quick Format" & confirm you really want to wipe it. And yes, I do mean QUICK Format, not plain Format, otherwise you will have to almost wait hours for the format to finish.

You should now be done . Well, you will have to copy your backed-up files back, but hopefully not too complicated (just remember to select "Show > All files" first if copying them using Workbench).

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »