Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Beta Testers required for new Jack iTunes extension
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

I require some bods to test the new iTunes extension in Jack.

Requirements:

AmigaOS 4.1+
Windows/Mac running iTunes
With a selection of songs, ideally purchased so you can test the cover artwork import
Mplayer for checking Get Info against mpgs/avi/3pgs etc...
Samba installed, if not why not? ( Samba for Idiots - http://homepages.tesco.net/michael.carrillo/amigasamba/ )

Able to follow the instructions clearly in the Beta Testers.txt and other documents and send back error logs and messages if there are any.

Download link: http://www.amigaos.net/Jack.lha

----

This is what needs testing - JackTunes, available from the Quick Access bar or press F7:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61283734 ... 5814919941/in/photostream

If you don't use iTunes you can still download Jack and test the Get Info button on any mp3s, m4as or avis/mpgs that reside on your system.

If any Python dependancies are missing from this beta distribution please tell me as I need to get this right when I do my installation script.

----

Don't expect audio output - my SAM 460 doesn't have audio drivers as yet - as soon as OS4 release the drivers I can proceed.

Thanks in advanced, please send bug reports to my email address asap. The interface is by no means complete, you can't search your library as yet is just one example.

Go to top
Re: Beta Testers required for new Jack iTunes extension
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well, I feel sorry for you that no-one has responded. I have an iPod Shuffle 2nd gen but I don't use iTunes with it. My PC is Windows 7, so I think there might be complications getting Samba up and running with in conjunction with that.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well I have marginally better response on AW, but still not great. A lot of developer work goes unrewarded right ^.^

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
A lot of developer work goes unrewarded right

For a start it doesn't help that your requirements are quite high: You need an OS4 user who has a Windows (or Mac) with iTunes installed. I think Amiga users tend to be quite independent (or even avoid mainstream things), so I would not be surprised if they avoided Apple stuff - not helped by the fact that Apple stuff usually actively tries to NOT work with other stuff (for example, iTunes is the only way you can get music to iPods/etc) and so won't work with the Amiga.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yup I expect that is true. I do intend the player to be able to play locally stored music as well (and not to mention hollywood-supported protracker modules).

That alone will broaden the appeal I am sure, but I want to appeal to new Amiga users as well who may already have a well-established music library by other means. 'They can do it so why shouldn't we be able to' mentally.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
A lot of developer work goes unrewarded right

Continuing further on this topic... IMHO the best thing a developer can do is write programs that they personally will find useful (aka "scratch an itch"). That way they are not dependant on feedback for motivation to continue development. (And the bigger the program, the more important this becomes.)

Of course it is good if you can put some effort into making your programs useful for other people too . And user feedback is obviously still nice to get, and when it happens it can also help guide the direction the program is developed in.

Those are the conclusions I've come to anyway!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

IMHO the best thing a developer can do is write programs that they personally will find useful (aka "scratch an itch"). That way they are not dependant on feedback for motivation to continue development.

Wise words of advice there, Chris. (I completely agree.)

Go to top

Register To Post