Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Filer Questions and Suggestions
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Filer is a well designed and great approach to become maybe the standard File-Manager for AmigaOS4.1.x with all the missing features waiting so long (the long awaited directoy-up-button and opening only one window for directoy-browsing for example!)

Resized Image

Questions:

1. Is it possible to create something like a softlink to let open filer my DH0:, DH1:..etc content, something like a Amiga File-Window replacement by clicking on the Harddrive-Desktop-Icons?
2. Can Filer make use of the Drawer-Configuration, how which Drawer will be shown as icons only and others just as a list?

Suggestions:

1. If it´s not present, see Point Nr.1 and Nr.2 from Questions.
2. I figured out that a big drawer content take very much time to load. It´s a bit annoying. Isn´t it better to show how each file is loaded and display it directly instead of waiting until the complete content is loaded? This is the way the Workbench did it so far.
3. Add a Display feature for Photo-Directorys which have already a Thumbnail preview icon showing it in several columns and rows with the filename below it.

Go to top
Re: Filer Questions and Suggestions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Feature request:
User-defined function (Fxx) keys, please!

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@fingus
You can't turn a volume icon into a project icon because volume icons are saved as Disk.info so Filer would open a directory named Disk instead of your Volume:.

But do it this way. Duplicate Filer executable and icon and rename it to something else. Then change the PATH tooltype to point to any dir you want. Then "Leave out" the Filer icon. Make more copies of Filer and rename them, if you need. Just remember to copy images dir (of Filer) to the same place where you have your copies of Filer otherwise Filer can't find its own imaginery and won't work.

Or don't copy Filer but use Project icons and Filer as the default tool.

You are right it's possible to hide all hard drive icons using that hiding feature in Workbench prefs. Just rename all these copies of Filer as your hard drive volumes/partitions.

Simple.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@fingus
Quote:
2. Can Filer make use of the Drawer-Configuration, how which Drawer will be shown as icons only and others just as a list?

Filer uses a Listbrowser gadget so it's not possible to have icons view with it currently. I've been toying with Virtual gadget if it could be used but the result wasn't perfect. People have made a feature request to add "cell mode" into the List browser gadget. I don't know if that could make icon view possible or practical and if it will happen or when.

Maybe if we ask polite and nicely and many people will do it maybe AmigaOS dev team will add those back buttons and other features into Workbench itself.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin
Can you add Project icon support to Filer ?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

Added to list

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK
Quote:

Maybe if we ask polite and nicely and many people will do it maybe AmigaOS dev team will add those back buttons and other features into Workbench itself.

For me it looks like recreating of wheel and wasting of time. Orgin already do all what need, just (for the begining) will be enough to replace 1-2 function and run Filer binary instead.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
For me it looks like recreating of wheel and wasting of time

It's not wasting time. Check www.openamiga.org why that project was created.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK
I know about openamiga.org and i read 2 years ago for what all of this done :)

I mean wasting of time if hyperion will add to WB something, which already done in Filer , but without including of Filer's code (that will be waste of time and recriating of wheel).

But if you mean to ask os4dev team to get Filer code to only add buttons to main window, so why then just not add the whole Filer's code at this point (and in end we will have the same stuff about "please add filer to OS" and answers that its not priority for now).

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi, all

Having some start-up problems, opened a thread on AmigaWorld. Happy to talk about it here as well.

1) Have to keep restarting the stack on reboot. :s

2) Programs that require Installation Utility missing so libraries/can't find them.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@djrikki

Wrong thread?

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'd really like to see

1) some kind of interface to Filer, maybe via Arexx?

The purpose would be that some other program provides a list of paths to files and Filer just shows this list and allows its usual functionality on each item in the list. That means, copying, moving, open-by-double click, etc.

The "special" thing here is then, that the files displayed in Filer are not necessary from the same directory.

2) In addition, it would be even more cool, when for each file shown by Filer some kind of meta information could be shown, too (within the same line, so copying and multi-selection would still work as usual).

For example, for a mp3 file "my_song_file.mp3" some additional information could be provided via the lists of paths for Filer's interface, like tags for artist, title, etc. Even a picture could be displayed for certain file types, e.g. embedded pictures in mp3 files.

I don't know if 2) is even possible with the used GUI for Filer, but 1) shouldn't be that hard, should it?

It would be really handy for my clucene application (if ever that c-plusplus compiler bug will be resolved). -- especially, as I really don like programming GUIs myself :)

Thanks,
nexus

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeah sorry.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
so why then just not add the whole Filer's code at this point

Because Filer is not a solution to me, for example, as long as it doesn't have icon view mode. So in some areas Workbench is better still.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

I checked that todo list on OpenAmiga.org and there's tab file name completion on the list. That feature is integrated into every string gadget. Use it with CTRL+TAB (or RAMIGA+TAB). (TAB alone is used to jump between multiple gadgets.) You don't have to implement it yourself.

@AmigaOS devs
There's a bug in tab completion of string gadget. If there's spaces in the path name like RAM Disk: then it doesn't work. But if I use ram: then it works. F.ex. ram:Clip -> ram:Clipboards. string.gadget 53.15 (10.12.09)

Btw. That space in RAM Disk name causes some trouble here and there. Could you rename it RAM-disk by default for example, even if it's not proper English ? Or RAMdisk ? I think it would work for the most of the people around the world.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
If Ram Disk was renamed to Ram-Disk (or similar), how would we know when we find a broken program which can't handle spaces in paths?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I love using Filer. There is only one issue that I would really like to see fixed:
When attempting to drag and drop something that has already been selected, the item's selection is lost as soon as the mouse button is pressed down. Maybe this behavior can be changed to de-select the item when the mouse button is released (as long as the item is still included in a drag and drop operation).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeah thats very annoying PEB.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@PEB

That is a Hyperion issue and not a Filer issue.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »