Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

flash, AndreasM, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

NFS
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I downloaded an nfsd daemon to run on my SAM 440 EP. I learn that I need a portmapper, e.g., in bin directory of AMITCP.

Two Questions:
1. Does anyone know another source for portmapper?
2. Will Amitcp run with AmigaOS 4.1?

Go to top
Re: NFS
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tlm

AmiTCP itself won't run in AmigaOS 4.1, however I've found that most of the binaries and utilities that it comes with will.

OS 4.1's network stack is similar enough to AmiTCP for things to work. You'll want to install it, but not actually have it run at startup; you don't need any of its changes to the startup scripts.

You will need to assign AmiTCP: to wherever you have it installed and may need a few more assigns.

I wound up just using the AmiTCP folder from my AmigaOS 3.1 machine.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jbni

Yep - most of the usual TCP/IP-tools are already part of AmigaOS4.1. The art is to identify which is which. BTW: Roadshow has i.e. the ability to do (simple) NAT operations - see your documentation drawer.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jbni

Thanx. I will try that and let you know how it turns out.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cha05e90

Not sure. Is NAT equivalent to portmapper? I tried setting a rpc server linking a dev: device in Roadshow prefs. That did not get nfsd server operational

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tlm

Quote:

tlm wrote:
I downloaded an nfsd daemon to run on my SAM 440 EP. I learn that I need a portmapper, e.g., in bin directory of AMITCP.

Two Questions:
1. Does anyone know another source for portmapper?
2. Will Amitcp run with AmigaOS 4.1?

I am curious where you grabbed the NFSD software from? I wouldn't mind getting an NFS client going on my Sam machine so I can access all my ogg's and movies etc.

I have to admit the last time I played with NFS on an Amiga was back when I used AmiTCP so I am not 100% sure what does or does not exist for AmigaOS4 since all I have bothered to do network wise is to get it onto my LAN and accessing the internet.

NFS requires RPC which is basically the port mapping. I can see RPC in services within the the internet preferences but a quick look has not shown me any of the other things I would expect to see.

Generally speaking from a *nix view for NFS to work, you need RPC installed aka the portmapper, the NFSD files which you already have and you also define your NFS shares/settings etc within the exports file.

Hrmm.. I found a copy of NFS client and NFSD on sourceforge, is this where you got yours from? I might have a play event though it is late where I am and I should get some sleep :P

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OK, the sourceforge entry I found doesn't actually have any files to download which is a pity. I did find a strange NFSD creation on Aminet though. It uses an nfsd.config file rather than an exports file.

Besides the sunrpc entry in the internet prefs and an sys:devs/internet/rpc file which was just a text file, I could not find anything to do with RPC/Portmapping on my system and a quick google didn't really pull up to much either. Sorry to say but without that, NFS will not work.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

I don't quite get what are you trying to do? If NFS client is needed, then as already mentioned, AmiTCP has one, quite slow. Smbfs is better performance-wise in AOS4 case. And I thin AmiTCP's nfs implemenation is of NFS version 2. I tried both, smbfs and nfs, now I stick to smbfs (works with Linux server, couldn't do it with OSX server which isn't a "must" at all here).

If NFS server is needed, then I don't think there's something decebnt out there. Afaik, AOS4 can be smbfs server.

Jack.

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@prowler
I got my nfsd from Aminet and I had sort of come to the same conclusion as you viz a vis Roadshow. Will try AmiTCP, though.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack
I agree smbfs works well between AmigaOS4 and Linux. However, I need to rebuild Linux and am having trouble with my CD drive on the Linux box. So I thought I would try to use the DVD/CD drive on my Sam. Hence the search for NFS.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

Quote:

tlm wrote:
@Jack
However, I need to rebuild Linux and am having trouble with my CD drive on the Linux box. So I thought I would try to use the DVD/CD drive on my Sam. Hence the search for NFS.

I don't get the scenario. Do you want to transfer the drive to linux, leave it there and access it with Sam? Then you can share it via samba. Or nfs. Is was already mentioned: AmiTCP's nfs client is compatible with Roadshow. Nothing else is needed to be installed.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack
The idea is to reinstall Linux using my Amiga DVD/CD drive because the CD drive on my Linux box is flaky. Sounds like what I need to do is put a copy of AmiTCP on my Sam440EP.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

If any help is needed, send PM or e-mail.

Good luck

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

Is the Aminet NFSD the as this one: http://www.kafsemo.org/nfsd/ ?

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cha05e90

I don't think so, but I will check next week when I'm back at my Amiga. Meanwile, thanks for the lead.

Go to top

Register To Post