Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

abalaban, mr2, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AmiWest begins today (with X1000 and EP460 presented)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

I believe that Bill Bosari who does the live feed isn't getting to the show till the afternoon due to prior commitment's!!
but hopefully the speakers today will be repeating it again tomorrow.
And as in one of the pictures on Amigakits site its being filmed

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AJS

ok we have a feed here
AmiWest

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@F0L

Thanks for the AmigaKit link. Regarding this picture:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/c ... ages/amiwest/600card3.jpg

Does anyone know what the "June Bug" reference is near the bottom right? Is this just some kind of project name that is printed on the main boards of A600 computers?

Cheers,

AH.

<EDIT>

Ah, sorry guys (and girls) I just saw this picture:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/c ... mages/amiwest/600card.jpg

Which does show clearly that it is indeed printed on the A600 main board and I would guess that it was a project name for the design.

Thanks,

AH.

Go to top
Anonymous
@AppleHammer

Not a big thing happened, but at least some progress info:

- EP460 will be on sale in November
- There will be OS 4.1 for Classics, but we will see what will it be its requirements (e.g. more fast RAM, Radeon card)

Q&A

Anyway I agree with you I am more interested in stuff for NG. I expected to see news and announcements like:

- Processor of the X1000

- Price of the X1000 (with and without VAT or / and with or without OS4)

- Estimated release date for beta testers and end users

- Progress on OS4 for x1000 and Sam EX

- Progress on USB2 drivers

- Progress on Printer /Scanner / webcam / firewire drivers

- State of development of Multiple cores and 64 bits and if we can expect or discard them at release date.

- State of the new graphic subsystem and OpenGL

- Support for Xena

- Any small or siemple demo? (either of Xena or the X1000)

1. the processor has not yet been officially unveiled

2. no discussion of price has yet come up

3. varisys is still finishing up bringup/test of the revision 3 nemo board; beta testers should have kit in hand prior to the end of the year; general availability is 2011, although they don't want to commit to a specific date as yet

4. OS4 is running well on both systems; the sam460ex should be available in the coming weeks

5. the USB2 stack is feature-complete; release is being delayed in trying to support a few devices which do not adhere to the USB2 spec well; ETA was non-specific, but 'coming soon'

6. hyperion considers an overhaul of the printing subsystem to be a priority; the company is investigating various options, including CUPS; no discussion of support for firewire has been brought up yet

7. support for multi-core processors is job #1 on the kernel side; the roadmap for the future beyond the X1000 would also be based around multi-core processors, so such support is important (not just for the X1000); support is not expected by the release of the X1000, but anything is possible

8. this is the cool bit: say goodbye to miniGL -- OS4 is transitioning to gallium3D in the future

9. there are plans for development tools for xena, but it is not planned to be used by the OS per se; it is more of a hobbyist add-on

both the SAM460EX and the X1000 are available for anyone who wants to play with them. folks should come next year. the show is wonderful: great people, great hardware, good times..

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:

- There will be OS 4.1 for Classics, but we will see what will it be its requirements (e.g. more fast RAM, Radeon card)

AmigaOS4.1 for classics is a welcome announcement I think. Of course, it is obvious that our classic machines are not viable platforms for serious computing anymore, but a lot of Amiga users still enjoy their classic machines regardless and it's nice to be able to apply this upgrade to them.
There's a definite cool factor in applying the latest OS4 developments to our classic machines. For as long as it remains viable to do so, I hope that Hyperion will continue to support this.

Regarding X1000 announcements, I am glad they haven't felt pressured into making impetuous announcements about pricing and release dates. It is far better that they show restraint until definitive details are known. Personally I am happy with that.
The thing to remember is that they don't owe us anything. Until we're in a position to put our money where are mouths are and buy the product, then the only people with any investment on the table are the developers of the X1000 themselves and as such they only answer to themselves.
They don't answer to their customers (i.e. us) until they're offering them for sale. So until that time comes, we just have to wait and see.

I'd like to get over to this show one of these days.

AH.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vox

Thanks for the notes.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@Slayer

P.S.
You really have 3 SAM`s?

Yes

I brought the 667 as soon as it was humanly possible and then same for the 800 Flex - the 733 was an unforeseeable purchase from a fellow countryman based solely on the fact that he was selling a complete system WAY too cheaply, I did the most decent thing I could, obtained it

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Anonymous
@Slayer

Amikit sais so http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... hp?topic_id=4408&forum=10

Ahead of the Saturday announcement, it was revealed at the meeting that the forthcoming AmigaOS 4.1 Classic will be distributed by AmigaKit and it would crucially support another AmigaKit product, ZorRAM. This was positively received by all present.

Trevor Dickinson introduced A-EON and the AmigaOne X1000. He was happy to field questions from the audience. He confirmed that Beta Testers of the X1000 would also receive limited edition "Beta Tester" enamel pin badge and a copy of the game BOH, kindly donated by the developer.

Struggling with a sore throat, Ben Hermans from Hyperion elaborated on where OS 4.1 was destined in future development and was assisted in answering questions by the Frieden brothers. He also explained interestingly that X1000 cores are fully partitionable so Linux could be run on one core at the same time as OS 4.1.

Fnally Carl Sassenrath announced that Rebol 3 had been ported to OS 4.1 since he has been donated a SAM440 machine

Finally Carl Sassenrath announced that Rebol 3 had been ported to OS 4.1 since he has been donated a SAM440 machine. There was a cheer from the audience at that news. He then gave an overview of the Rebol language and explained how he came to develop it from early ideas.

The AmigaOne X1000 was on display in it's sleek black tower and running the latest AmigaOS 4.1 for visitors to test. Any product questions were answered by Trevor, Thomas and Hans-Joerg. The USA version of the AmigaOne keyboards and Boing Ball mice were also well received and eventually sold out over the course of the show. Walking around the room, it seemed as if every next gen Amiga on display had a matching Boing Ball equipped mouse and keyboard.

Minimig was also demonstrated nicely throughout the day by Joel Cholokians with a LCD flat screen and Boing Ball mouse.

Jamie Krueger, Bit By Bit Software, demonstrated the SDKBrowser 2.0 and GUI Builder. He talked about the work-in-progress of AVD. It certainly looks impressive with lots of potential and we hope it will be completed within the next year.

Despite his failing voice, Ben Hermans was also invited to talk and formally announced that AmigaKit will distribute the forthcoming AmigaOS 4.1 for Classic Amiga complete with ZorRAM support.

Mods note: Changed URL to link to this site.

Edited by Rigo on 2010/10/28 8:54:18
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AppleHammer Quote:
Does anyone know what the "June Bug" reference is near the bottom right? Is this just some kind of project name that is printed on the main boards of A600 computers?

Dear dear, you don't know your Amiga trivia very well! Most classic Amiga motherboards have a B52 song name on them. Their songs are actually also quite good :)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Anonymous
@ChrisH

OS updates: Gallium 3D OS4

it somewhat astonishes me that one of the announcements of AmiWest, namely the fact that OpenGL (in the form of Mesa/Gallium) is currently already in the planning phase and will be the next big field of work for the graphics team was missed by everyone.

Quote:
To recap what we announced at AmiWest: The current field of work is two-fold (for the core team). Kernel work will include an overhaul of the scheduler (which will include things like scheduling policies on a task by task basis, and SMP). The graphics work will be Mesa/Gallium. The latter will first be ported and put on top of the current system, and in an additional step, will replace the current system (and provide wrapper functionality for the current graphics system).

Amiga Classic OS 4.1 is likely to require
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/c ... _info.php?products_id=958
And therefore will not be useful on A1200 PPC?

Go to top
Anonymous
@vox

Some X1000 small revelations (like AMD chip used for controller)
http://safir.amigaos.se/main.php?d=newsfull&news=1133

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)