Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Reaction first encounter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo & nbache

Yeah of course, a busy pointer would work. I never thought about the fact, that there is no such thing as a disabled window in any os, it never crossed my mind. But you are right, it would be confusing to the user.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo
Quote:
Rigo wrote:
@nbache

Having such behaviour in a window would be highly confusing for the user.

The usual way is to block input to a window by opening an invisible requester attached to it. This can be done very simply by setting the WA_BusyPointer attribute to TRUE on the window.class object.

Agreed, but blocking input to a window is not strictly speaking exactly the same as keeping it deactivated/unfocused. Even if you block the window like you describe, it could still be activated and visually signal this (by a coloured border). The way I read Alfkil's intent, it should be kept (visually?) inactive. I don't know what purpose this would serve, but I guess there could be very special situations where this would be the logical GUI behaviour, and if so, my description might show one way of forcing this behaviour.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

The reason I wanted this feature is, that I'm using lots of different windows in db101 and some of them, when open, allows for features, that needs other windows features to be disabled. I could manually turn off the gadgets in those other windows, but it would be so much easier to just block the entire window (or it's content, rather), and then have it's state automatically restored when the "dangerous" window is done and the old window is un-disabled.

But I guess I'm just going to have to handle it the old way.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@alfkil

In that case you can use WA_ToolBox, TRUE.

It might be an idea if you reread the autodocs again to catch what you missed the first time :)

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:
WA_Toolbox

In my version of the autodocs, this attribute doesn't have a description. Besides, it's a fairly odd name for such a feature, don't you think ?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@alfkil

The idea is that a toolbox window is used to allow the user to select some action or option without the window visually getting activated, which in turn saves the user having to reactivate the original window.

I'm surprised there's no description for this in the public autodocs.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alfkil

It's described in intuition.library/OpenWindow()

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@alfkil
Quote:
In my version of the autodocs, this attribute doesn't have a description.

Make sure to refer to the intuition.doc when talking about WA_#? tags. WINDOW_#? tags should be described in window_cl.doc.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

Sorry, I was looking in the window class only.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)