Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Menu problem under 4.1 update 1
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I'm using the same struct NewMenu array on multiple windows. If I have one window open then menus works as usual. But if I have two or more windows open then it takes several seconds menus to appear on screen. There wasn't this kind of problems before update1. Do anybody have any ideas why that happens ? And if anybody wants to test/verify this, the app in question is YetAnotherDesk.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Re: Menu problem under 4.1 update 1
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

Check the autodoc for IDCMP_MENUVERIFY.

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:
Check the autodoc for IDCMP_MENUVERIFY.

I added IDCMP_MENUVERIFY into my windows IDCMP flags but that didn't change anything. Can you give any example how to use it ?

Quote:
it takes several seconds menus to appear on screen

What I meant earlier is the main menu strip opens immediately but sub menus opens after short time period.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

OK, I'll explain it once more for the last time.

By default, window.class enables the IDCMP_MENUVERIFY bit when the window has helphints enabled (There may also be other situations where this bit is set).

When intuition detects that the right mouse button is pressed, it sends all open windows a MENUVERIFY msg if the window has the above bit set. The windows event loop has to process events in order for the msg to be replied to ( to be precise, the WM_HANDLEINPUT method has to be called).

If a child window is opened, the usual course of action from the application is to run through the events for the child only, so the parent doesn't get a chance to reply to the verify msg thereby stalling intuitions verify check that it's OK to open the menus.

Changes in intuition for Update 1 have made that msg "time out", which is why holding down the button makes the menus appear eventually, after intuition has given up waiting (typically 10 seconds).

The best course of action is to set the WA_BusyPointer attribute on the parent window object with SetAttrs(), this removes the IDCMP_MENUVERIFY bit for the duration that the window is busy. Do not confuse this with the window attribute set with SetWindowAttrs() as this by-passes window.class completely, and won't clear the bit. If you are opening an ASL file requester, you can pass the parent window in ASLFR_SleepWindow and ASL will set the window busy for you, and intuition skips sending the menu verification message to the parent window.

Alternatively, if you want multiple window.class objects open simultaneously, make sure that all events for all objects are handled correctly at all times.

Any program that doesn't handle this is simply not structured correctly, and/or is not adhering to the rules for intuition message handling. It has been this way since OS2.0, and if it worked before then it's more luck than judgement, as this is a well documented "feature".

Further in-depth explanations can be found in the IDCMP section of the Intuition.library chapter of the RKRMs.

Simon

Edited by Rigo on 2010/1/25 0:35:12
Edited by Rigo on 2010/1/25 15:35:56
Edited by Rigo on 2010/7/13 23:59:07
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

There is a problem like this for tunnet asl req. menus. 4.1 update 1 versin

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@my_pc_is_amiga

This has been fixed for the next update of TuneNet. Resolved by setting ASLFR_SleepWindow (in addition to ASLFR_Window).

Cheers,
Bean

OS4.1 + an A1XE with an appetite for batteries!
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rigo

Thanks. The tip about SetAttrs() instead of SetWindowAttrs() was very helpful. (One never stops learning I guess.)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@trixie

Quote:

Thanks. The tip about SetAttrs() instead of SetWindowAttrs() was very helpful. (One never stops learning I guess.)

When using window.class, you are dealing with BOOPSI objects, the resulting intuition window is a result of that object. Setting an attribute of the window with SetWindowAttrs() simply sets it for the intuition window, and bypasses the window.class object completely, which is not the intended behaviour. Object attributes should always be set with SetAttrs() in order that the controlling object is aware of the changes.

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

I realized what was wrong finally. I've thought always that one don't have to take care of Intui events of inactive windows. And that's wrong. Doh. That didn't affect previous versions of the AmigaOS.

That was also a good note that one shouldn't mix window.class functions and Intui-window functions.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top

Register To Post