Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Mono for the X1000
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by nicholastaylor on 2015/2/20 17:19:21
Go to top
Re: Mono for the X1000
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nicholastaylor

Well you should start by having an understanding of programming on the Amiga. It would not hurt to start with the Rom kernel reference manuals, or "RKM's" (which you can find online if you are saavy enough, then start looking at some example code, trying to compile small things.

Next up would be to look at the OS 4.1 SDK, 53.20, which was just recently released on Hyperion's website.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nicholastaylor

Maybe you can check on amigabounty? Maybe there can be a bounty for this? Split it up in parts or something?

X5000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@nicholastaylor

There's a good guide to porting Mono on the Mono homepage, it already supports PowerPC which is probably the biggest task, but still looks rather involved.

I'd be more interested in Moonlight (which probably needs Mono ported first anyway), however since ITVPlayer ditched Silverlight I don't know of anything useful which uses it!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nicholastaylor

The first challenge is going to be the POSIX/pthreads bits in the JIT itself. ixemul + the AOS4 pthreads implementation might get you reasonably far.

The biggest challenge, however, would be porting the various native parts of the runtime libraries. GUI toolkits etc.

It depends a lot what your goals are. If you "just" want Mono on X1000, that's a *lot* easier than getting something complete enough to run most C# apps. The former could be done with thin mappings to AmigaOS, while the latter requires supporting a lot of other libraries as well.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vidarh
Quote:

ixemul + the AOS4 pthreads implementation might get you reasonably far.

ixemul is not supported in the Amiga OS4 SDK, and if it was mixing it with native pthreads would probably be a bad idea!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by nicholastaylor on 2015/2/20 17:18:39
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nicholastaylor

I wish you good luck and lots of perseverance. This is going to be hard...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nicholastaylor

vidarh wrote:
Quote:
The biggest challenge, however, would be porting the various native parts of the runtime libraries. GUI toolkits etc.

It depends a lot what your goals are. If you "just" want Mono on X1000, that's a *lot* easier than getting something complete enough to run most C# apps.

and you responded a.o.:
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by most c# applications though, because c# is also compiled using Microsoft Visual C#.

The actual language is in fact not that big a part of the implementation of a typical .NET project. Most of the functionality you need will be something you call in the .NET framework, which consists of a huge amount of runtime libraries, DLLs (on Windows). These are the same whichever language (of the .NET compatible ones) you code in. This is not only GUI toolkits, but also a lot of the data structures, storage, file handling and communication basics needed in most applications.

I guess that would be what vidarh is referring to. "Most C# apps" is a high goal, not because the C# part is big, but because most C# apps will also be typical .NET apps which draw heavily on the .NET framework. (Substitute "Mono" for ".NET" in the above wherever it makes sense; I haven't had any experience with Mono myself yet.)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post