Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 93

MartinW, nbache, emeck, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AmigaOne, help please!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi! I am new in this forum and i would much appreciate it if you can provide me with some help on the following issue regarding an AmigaOne. My configuration is as follows:

A1 XE 750GX@800, 512Mb ram, 250GB HDD,
Wirelless Card from Amigakit + Catweazel
UBoot version: 1.1.1

Because of various problems i had with OS4 developers version and prism2 device, i decided to upgrade my operating system and bought Os4.1 I removed all extra cards except gfx of course and when i tried to install the operating system on the A1, i booted from dvd-rom, it loads until a certain point, the screen that says AmigaOS4.1 and then it pops up a purple kickstart screen prompting to insert a floppy! And nothing else could be done!!
I have a little experience installing AOS in my SAM but never came acroos a screen like that... What could be possibly the cause? Are there any ideas??

Thank you in advance!

Go to top
Re: AmigaOne, help please!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@npanag

HDD not recognized (or dead) or no (AOS) bootable partition found...
Try to keep the left and right mouse button while booting to reach the early-startup, there go to the boot section (the first button) and there you'll see each bootable partition found by the Kickstart.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

HDD?? when the amigaone starts up i can see the HDD as device 0 and the dvd as device 1, fully recognised... do you believe i should just try another HDD?
(this hdd is also recognised by os4 and partitioned, but not in OS4.1!!)..this is strange!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@npanag

Strip down your miggy to the bare..
Take out the catweazel and the wireless lan card and try again.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@npanag

Wirelless Card from Amigakit + Catweazel
Leave out the PCI cards.

i booted from dvd-rom, it loads until a certain point, the screen that says AmigaOS4.1 and then it pops up a purple kickstart screen prompting to insert a floppy! And nothing else could be done!!
The Amiga OS 4.1 Quickstart is totally wrong about booting-up off the CD. It was written by someone who never owned an AmigaONE or used UBoot!.

I have a little experience installing AOS in my SAM but never came acroos a screen like that... What could be possibly the cause? Are there any ideas??
When the Amiga starts to bootup, use the ESCape key to get into UBoot prompt. You want to use the Amiga Boot Options Menu in the UBoot Preferences Menu-> Boot Sequence->MultiBoot->Amiga Boot Options->CDROM. When this marked, then use the ESC key to go to the top of Uboot Menu. Next, select "this session only" to boot the CD.
This guarantees to overide any hard drives or floppy and will bootup but the CDROM only.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Thanks for your help. I've done everything you said. Stripped the a1 from pci cards, selected the Cd-rom as boot device for this session only, according to the uboot amiga boot preferences, but still the same problem....the purple kickstart screen!

Do you think that there could be a more serious hardware problem? In the meantime i will go to the shop where i bought the HDD and ask for a new one... i am not exactly sure what i am going to say to them..AmigaOS 4.1 is not booting?? They will surely look at me as i am coming from outerspace! :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@npanag
Which OS4.1 version are you using? Sam or A1?
Try Installing OS4.0 instead if you have it for an A1. You should at least have the OS4.0 pre-release that comes with it. Do you have the hardware priorities set correctly?

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swisso

Aos4.1 for A1..at least that's what i bought from amigakit. Which hardware priorities do you mean? the boot sequence?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@npanag

Are you saying... that you COLD boot the OS4.1 cdrom and you don't even get to the WBScreen prior to doing anything to your HD?

I find this a little odd because if you haven't loaded anything off the CDRom there will be no kickstart in memory...

What disturbs me about this thread is there isn't enough exact information concerning the exact conditions and procedure that gets you from the VERY start to the place you get some insert disk screen, which is what revision btw?

Swisso is referring to all the bootable devices available in your system and of those which you care to list as bootable options are listed in the correct order... The order you wish them to try to boot from first... I believe so anyway, now that might sound like a mouthful but I think it's technically correct

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@npanag

I don't think its a HD problem, but a uboot setting. I get that screen if I change the cableing of my micro, love the color, hate the screen.

First, it sounds like you have both drives on ide port 0 (HD=0, DVD=1). Make sure the HD is the master & is on the end of the cable, DVD as slave & connected to the middle of the connector.

I don't trust the uboot menu, I change drive settings & they don't get saved, so go into the uboot shell. You need to set the h/w configuration variable.

setenv a1ide_conf 1200 <ret>
setenv boot1 ide <ret>
saveenv <ret>
boota <ret>

This should get the HD to boot if the slb was installed & has a bootable partition.

If it doesn't boot, then try this with a bootable CD,

setenv boot1 cdrom <ret>
saveenv <ret>
boota <ret>

I recommmend you put the HD on ide port 0 (master) & the DVD on port 1 (master) for max file transfer speed of the HD. If you change the drive setup, you need to change a1ide_conf to 1020 & save. First 2 # are ide port 0, 2nd 2 # are port 1, A "1" =HD & a "2" =CD/DVD drive.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@npanag

Quote:

npanag wrote:
@abalaban

HDD?? when the amigaone starts up i can see the HDD as device 0 and the dvd as device 1, fully recognised... do you believe i should just try another HDD?
(this hdd is also recognised by os4 and partitioned, but not in OS4.1!!)..this is strange!

Another thing you need to watch is OS4.1 needs a SWAP partition...

But yes, I don't think it's got anything to do with you hardware either...

Configuration yes, hardware no

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

Slight correction, os4.1 can use a SWAP partition if created, but its not required.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@Slayer

Quote:

Slight correction, os4.1 can use a SWAP partition if created, but its not required.

That doesn't surprise me, however, the manuals need to be rewritten to reflect this as an option

I'm sure it stipulates NEED to create this

Reminds me though now I could get rid of SWAP with 1gM... unless of course I decide to unarc a compressed ISO.7z or similair

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Sorry i havent replied for long, but i just used another HDD, brand new and he same purple screen again, no change, so i am confident now that it is not due to the HDD itself that creates the problem.

Yes, the HDD and the DVD is on the same cable, master and slave, should i use different ports and set them both in master mode??

What more information should i post here, regarding the uboot that could tell you something regarding the problem??

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sundown

i also did what you told me for the uboot commands, and again, the os4.1 starts booting until the screens that says amigaos4.1 and then the purple screen is back... :(

i tried different combinations, i.e. i tried dvd & hd on different ide ports, and the A1 did not recognise the DVD-rom as secondary master or slave or cable select...the only conf the dvd is recognised is slave on the primary port. i checked the jumpers again, everything is as it should be

I am in the dark here!!!!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@npanag

:(
have you tried to change DVD drive?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@CountRaven

no because i finally managed to boot into OS4.1 but i did that without the HDD installed... So i suppose now that the problem is not in the DVD-ROM. The strange thing is that i cannot use secondary ide, nothing is recognised by A1 !! So i find my self with limited options regarding master-slave configuration and cabling...:(

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@npanag

hope for the correct option to be found finally.

keep on fighting!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@npanag

You could try just the dvd as master on the second ide port & see if it boots. Also download Ranger off os4 depot, it has a hardware/bios tab that will show all your set uboot variables. I still think it's a uboot variable setting, but test the second ide port first.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sundown

i cannot seem to make the secondary ide work! The next thing to try is using ONLY the secondary ide but i am not too optimistic about it...probably a hardware fault?? dont know

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »