Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

amigait, davec555, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »
Re: OS4.1 bugs
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cyborg

Has CrossDOSFileSystem been updated/bugfixed since the last public release (53.1 20.07.2008) ? Here it does read/write junk most of the time and its next to useless.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

Not that i know of, sorry.

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@all
Somebody else with is problem out there?

@Cyborg
Is it possible to use another FAT32 filesystem with Sirion?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

There are problems with some USB devices being recognised or not being recognised by the USB subsystem, but these problems are only of USB attachment. There are so many USB devices out there that it is impossible to test them all and make allowances for their "quirks".

There is nothing wrong with the CrossDOS filesystem or transfers using USB. Most probably you have hardware problems causing your transfer errors.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Im using a 2.5" SATA drive in my SAM, and the default Powersaving features enabled does not seem optimal, the disk goes to "halfsleep" too often...
idetool tells me:
Advance power mgmt : enabled
Current level : 128

Is there a way to disable that or put it at level 254?
I assume that 255 disables it completely as hdparm does in Linux.

Edited by Yaroze on 2009/1/5 13:33:20
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

Is it possible to use another FAT32 filesystem with Sirion?

Yes, fat95 was reported to work, but don't ask me how.. i never used it. AFAIK you have to do proper mountlists, but as said, i don't know how they have to look like as i never used fat95.

And regarding your crossdos problems: I can't reproduce them here. I just copied hundrets of megabytes to my OCZ 4GB USB stick and from there back to RAM:, then checked the md5 sums of the files. Not a single error.

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cyborg

I constantly have an error when I try to switch the WB window mode to text mode under OS4.1 on an USB device. WB suddenly complains about lost lock and it closes the WB window before any display while it works perfectly in icon mode (show all files enabled).

EDIT: typo

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw
Quote:

There are problems with some USB devices being recognised or not being recognised by the USB subsystem, but these problems are only of USB attachment. There are so many USB devices out there that it is impossible to test them all and make allowances for their "quirks".

There is nothing wrong with the CrossDOS filesystem or transfers using USB. Most probably you have hardware problems causing your transfer errors.

I'm pretty sure that CrossDOS is the problem, because:

a) It happens on my A1 (unfixed USB, but using a powered HUB) AND on my new SAM.

b) I tried with a USB-Stick, USB-Harddrive and Cardreader + microSD card.

c) I dont have any troubles if i use SFS instead of CrossDOS

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cyborg
Quote:

Yes, fat95 was reported to work, but don't ask me how.. i never used it. AFAIK you have to do proper mountlists, but as said, i don't know how they have to look like as i never used fat95.

Do you remember where is was reported?

Quote:

And regarding your crossdos problems: I can't reproduce them here. I just copied hundrets of megabytes to my OCZ 4GB USB stick and from there back to RAM:, then checked the md5 sums of the files. Not a single error.

I can reproduce it with 3 different USB-"disks" on my A1 and my SAM, and i dont have any problems if i use SFS instead of CrossDOS.

It wound be a big step forward if i had to use md5sum to find a error.

I simply have to copy a few files to a fresh formated USB-Disk and the next time i open the root directory most of the filenames have changed to something like ?%(&iidd8, the timestamps and filesizes have changed and it shows directories, but i dont have created/copied a single directory.

I could make a 1:1 image using rawdisk from my 512MB USB-Stick if you want to have a look at it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

You are german, are you copying files with names containing > 127 ASCII code ? if so it may well be your problem, being a french guy I also experienced problems with files/drawers containing C cecilla (like in 'fran?ais') for example, sometimes the files are simply inaccessible from anything but my A1, some other times the USB stick had to be repared under Windows using the commandline check utility. I don't remember having problems with files having names composed by chars of ASCII < =127.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

ZeroG wrote:
Do you remember where is was reported?

It was on the OS4 beta list. Maybe just open a new thread here on amigans and ask, somebody should know..

Quote:

I can reproduce it with 3 different USB-"disks" on my A1 and my SAM, and i dont have any problems if i use SFS instead of CrossDOS.

It wound be a big step forward if i had to use md5sum to find a error.

So are that "disks" really disks as in harddisks or do you mean USB massstorage devices in general like harddisks, USB sticks, etc.?

Quote:

I simply have to copy a few files to a fresh formated USB-Disk and the next time i open the root directory most of the filenames have changed to something like ?%(&iidd8, the timestamps and filesizes have changed and it shows directories, but i dont have created/copied a single directory.

Interesting. I had that ages ago also sometimes, but that was with older crossdos versions and as said above, today i couldn't spot any problem.

Abalaban's idea isn't that bad actually. Try if this corruption also happens if you just copy plain US-ASCII named files. If not, see if the corruption occurs if you use Umlauts or spaces or long filenames, etc.

Thinking about it, today i just tried with directories/files in US-ASCII only (my SDK installation)... so maybe thats really a valid point. I'll see that i find the time for some more tests tomorrow.

Quote:

I could make a 1:1 image using rawdisk from my 512MB USB-Stick if you want to have a look at it.

Thanks for the offer, but i'm really not into filesystems, so i probably couldn't do much with it. But Heinz Wrobel is still active and fixes bugs if there are any, so if we find a solid way to reproduce the corruption i'll happily file a bugreport for Heinz.

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

I encountered same stuff with OS4.0 couple of times. In all cases I tried to d/l with aweb into the disk-on-key.
I didn't manage to investigate it both times (was in hurry to take the files with me and it really pissed me off.
Since then I managed without the problem, but didn't try to download onto FAT media (for me it's much easier to scp the file to some online location).

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

I have also seen this, only since installing OS4.1 (under 4.0 I never had this problem). It completely corrupts the FS on the disk - anything currently present is lost.

It seems quite random as to whether it works or not, but I have an inkling that attempting to copy softlinks are what causes the problem here - or maybe big files. Certainly I'm not copying any files with non-US-ASCII characters.

Chris

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@abalaban

Using only ASCII <127 filenames does not change anything.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cyborg
Quote:

It was on the OS4 beta list. Maybe just open a new thread here on amigans and ask, somebody should know..

Ok, thanks. I will open a new thread tomorrow.

Quote:

So are that "disks" really disks as in harddisks or do you mean USB massstorage devices in general like harddisks, USB sticks, etc.?

I have tried it with one Harddisk, one USB stick and one cardreader (mircoSD card).

[quote]
Try if this corruption also happens if you just copy plain US-ASCII named files. If not, see if the corruption occurs if you use Umlauts or spaces or long filenames, etc.
[quote]

I have tried with plain US-ASCII filenames without Umlauts and spaces - it does not help, but i'm sure that 99,9% of all filenames are longer than 8+3 chars. I will try that tomorrow.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris
Quote:

It seems quite random as to whether it works or not, but I have an inkling that attempting to copy softlinks are what causes the problem here - or maybe big files. Certainly I'm not copying any files with non-US-ASCII characters.

I have not tried to copy softlinks, but how big are your big files?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ZeroG

Biggest is 10MB, actually I'm not even sure if the copy got that far.

I also had filenames containing commas, and filenames beginning with dots potentially in the selection. These could cause problems with FAT.

Chris

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
I have also seen this, only since installing OS4.1 (under 4.0 I never had this problem). It completely corrupts the FS on the disk - anything currently present is lost.

I have also experienced this. I have a couple DaneELEC 8GB flash drives, and a few times I have copied files to it on my A1, and once I reinsert it only the latest files are there, everything else is gone. When I insert it in to my laptop, I have to recower what I can and re-format. Again it is also appears random, I don't use exessively long file names, or deep folders.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have used both 4/8gb memsticks. Have 3 here. And also tested with memorystick for mobilephones 1/2gb. All i got sometimes corrupted files after copying them so only thing is to format and try again. I hate this :) Often when its corrupted you can see strange named dirs and you cant delete them.

One thing that i know is if there is filecomments the files wont show up when checking on for example a mobilephone. So i always remove the comments in files.

But the most problem for me is the speed of usb drivers on os4.1 Its only 1.1. So if i copy alot of mp3's to the stick it takes forever for a 4/8gb stick. And then if unlucky the files gets corrupted. Man i have had these times too much. So i wont play much more with usb until we have usb2.0. Except transfering pictures from my mobilephone to my amigaone. Thats often used here and i dont get corrupted system as i just transfer from phone to amiga.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cyborg

Ok, i have now changed all filenames to match into the MS-DOS 8+3 pattern, set all protectionbits to RWED and removed all filecomments - it seems to work.

I will repeat the test a few times and will try what happens if i only change one thing at a time.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »