Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Web browser by Hyperion - feasible?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rogue

Ok, this might be a language problem then as I'm not english native, and in french "feasible" is synonym for "doable", as in "*if* we wanted, we can do it".

And as i stated in my post I agree that would be a huge waste of ressources.

Anyway nevermind, I don't even know why I posted this in the first time...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@abalaban

'feasible' in my understanding means "likely" or "sensibly".

?Feasible? as inn a roadmap to some thing planed in the not so distant future.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue

Another question could then be if it is feasible for Hyperion to go into browser porting?

Since a webbrowser is a requirement for any platform these days and often part of the OS package.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

Please find someone else to port the browser since Hyperion are busy. I'd rather that they get round to porting MESA so that we have full OpenGL and implementing other items that are needed for bringing more software to the platform.

Anyone can work on porting a browser; only the OS 4 dev team can improve the actual OS.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Hans

"only the OS 4 dev team can improve the actual OS"

And people who join http://openamiga.org ;)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well Smithy Was going great guns with Paihia until he lost interest.

Seems a shame to let what he's already coded go to waste though.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@corto

Quote:
Once, I tried to port SQLite and it failed (almost done but still problems with partial locks on files). I didn't wait for someone else does the port. Even if that happens Still motivated I contributed to compile the last version on OS4 and I created a MUI example to explain how to use the sqlite lib. I didn't wait the last version was available.
And today, both are available !

I learnt a long time ago, that if a piece of software isn't already available or it doesn't quite do what you want, the answer is to pick up a compiler and do it yourself. I started out on BASIC (of various versions from the ZX81 to AMOS), moved on to E in order to write more system-friendly software and stepped up to C from there. Along the way I've dabbled in ARexx, Perl, PHP, Javascript, intent VP-code, Installer, I even did a bit of ASM in the C16 days.

All of this was entirely self-taught, from documentation, examples and asking probably very basic questions. I'm very quick at picking things up and seem to have the right sort of logical mind, and I agree that some people really struggle with this and programming probably isn't for them.

I, however, can't get my head round people who can already program, yet can't manage to string together a simple Installer script. I also notice my continued offers of help in this department - bar "steal one of my scripts, it does exactly what you need" - have been ignored.

Quote:

There are many languages to start programming (AmiBlitz, C, C++, Ruby, Python, ...).

Modula-2, E, ARexx, Perl, Installer ...

I'd recommend ARexx as a good language to start with. It's on a par with BASIC at the lowest level (but can be much more powerful). If nothing else, utilising it to extend other apps or automate tasks is a step in the right direction.

Alternatively, if somebody wants to learn Installer and bombard anybody who uploads a program which is more complicated to install than "copy the entire folder to your hard drive", that would make everybody's life a little better.

Chris

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:

Alternatively, if somebody wants to learn Installer and bombard anybody who uploads a program which is more complicated to install than "copy the entire folder to your hard drive", that would make everybody's life a little better.

I'm guilty of not getting round to a proper install script. The problem is that, if you haven't written one before and you want to get the program out there, you really can't be bothered. I'll make sure that I have an install script for the next item that needs it.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Hans

Perhaps a graphical tool that lets you do simple install scripts might be of use.

Just define what files/directories you have in your project and where they should go. (Install dir, libs:, fonts: etc) And then the tool creates the script for you.

A later incarnation of the tool might even add library version checking to the install script and such.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@abalaban

'feasible' in my understanding means "likely" or "sensibly". I don't think it is feasible for Hyperion to go into browser writing. It *would* be a dreadful waste of resources.

That's the meaning I had in mind when I wrote this post. That's why I wrote 'feasible' instead of 'possible'.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:
in french "feasible" is synonym for "doable", as in "*if* we wanted, we can do it".

Not necessarily. It can be technically feasible and I agree that everything is possible. But it can't be feasible for Hyperion and their limited time. You know they have an OS they must take care of!

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

Yes that was the point of my post : technically I have no doubt that Hyperion would be able to do it, but with the currently limited time and ressource I rather prefer seeing them going on updating the OS...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Outcast

Quote:

Outcast wrote:
Well Smithy Was going great guns with Paihia until he lost interest.

Well isn't that the major problem? Sticking to a project even though it becomes a drag? I think it was Mike Abrash that said "The first 90% of a project are fun, the second 90% aren't".

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rogue
[/quote]
Well isn't that the major problem? Sticking to a project even though it becomes a drag? I think it was Mike Abrash that said "The first 90% of a project are fun, the second 90% aren't".[/quote]

Do not forget that what comes after the first release,
maintenance, is the third and most important 90%.
Here you can show to your customers that you're
worth their investment.

ciao

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)