Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
168 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

FlynnTheAvatar, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4.1 Missing instructions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have just installed OS4.1, and it went very well. 15-20 minutes and all was done, now I have to just configure it to my OS4.o installation.

Anyway, I found something's, which are probably obvious to others that weren't in the quickstart guide.

1. You need to set up the two required partitions before installing OS4.1, and not during. You have to select the partition where you want OS4.1 installed, and you cannot do that until you have formatted it.

2. The swap partition needs to be recognised on workbench to be named, so it has to have a filesystem other than swap, for you to name it. Once it is named you can go in and change block size and file system.

3. JXFS needs a block size of 512, but I only know this from reading on the forums. It is mentioned that sfs needs 512, but not JXFS.

Having said the above, my internet was configured fine, where some people have had problems. Now I just need to install dataypes, and copy prefs accross.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: OS4.1 Missing instructions
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

Thanks for the information #2.
I will test that.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

1. The installer gives you the options to run mediatoolbox and to format partitions BEFORE it asks where you want to install anything.

2. The swap partition isn't 'needed'. You can install and reboot and the system is fine without it, you also don't have to "name" the partition. just set the filesystem as SWAP and a block size of 4096 both of which are specified in the installer.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Quote:
1. The installer gives you the options to run mediatoolbox and to format partitions BEFORE it asks where you want to install anything.
That's true, but although you can set the required partitions up by running mediatoolbox, you cannot select them for formatting until they are named. i.e. they don't show up in the requester.

Quote:
2. The swap partition isn't 'needed'. You can install and reboot and the system is fine without it, you also don't have to "name" the partition. just set the filesystem as SWAP and a block size of 4096 both of which are specified in the installer.
Thanks, I didn't know that. The quickstart guide states that it has to be named, and I couldn't do that until I had set it up and named it from workbench.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

The quickstart guide tells you to set the device-name in the MTB to SWAP: , not the volume-name that you can change with WB.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
The quickstart guide tells you to set the device-name in the MTB to SWAP: , not the volume-name that you can change with WB.
Thanks for that. Looking at page 14 of the quickstart guide, under swap partition characteristics, it say's Name: SWAP, but I can see from page 22 that you are correct, and I need to change the device name to swap.
This probably means my swap is not set up.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

1. You need to set up the two required partitions before installing OS4.1, and not during. You have to select the partition where you want OS4.1 installed, and you cannot do that until you have formatted it.

The installation utility allows all hard drive setup to be done from it. There is no need to have to set anything up prior to installing the OS. It can be done from a blank HD. You can launch Media Toolbox from the installer, which allows you to set up the partitions, then you can format any partitions you want from the installer afterwards. No need for prior preparation. As with any changes to hard disks in Media Toolbox, you will be required to reboot, and this will then mount the drives as NDOS, which can be formatted from the installer

Quote:

2. The swap partition needs to be recognised on workbench to be named, so it has to have a filesystem other than swap, for you to name it. Once it is named you can go in and change block size and file system.

Again, the SWAP partition can be set purely from the installer, it does not need to be named in the sense of a mounted volume. Simply call the partition SWAP in Media Toolbox's partition editor window.

Quote:

3. JXFS needs a block size of 512, but I only know this from reading on the forums. It is mentioned that sfs needs 512, but not JXFS.

That was a slight ommision from the guide, sorry

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

Swoop wrote:
@ZeroG

Quote:
Thanks for that. Looking at page 14 of the quickstart guide, under swap partition characteristics, it say's Name: SWAP,

Yes, but above that, it says "The SWAP partition should have the following characteristics:", and all the other characteristics are also only settable in Media Toolbox, so it should be logical to look for a Name: field also in Media Toolbox for this. But I agree it could probably have been made just that little bit more obvious.

Quote:
but I can see from page 22 that you are correct, and I need to change the device name to swap.
This probably means my swap is not set up.

Yes, probably. But you can test it by copying a file larger than your available memory to the RAM disk. If it works (more slowly than with a smaller file, of course), you have a working swap partition.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post