Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 82

MartinW, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Web Hosting
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi All,

I currently have a web site (which I haven't updated much for quite some times...), but I'm planning to start all over again...

I had a (quick) look at Hostgator, and their Baby Package seems quite interesting... I get more than I currently have for about the same price !

What do you think ? Do you know someone offering a better deal ?

It's not for a "professional" web site, more for "fun" and "not to be bored"...
There will be no Forums section as there are IMHO enough Amiga (and others ) Forums out there...

Yes there will also be an Amiga Section, more "developed" than the one I currently have...
That section will contains some IFF images (for backdrops) as well as JPG, maybe also some files and/or themes to download...
There will most certainly be a gallery of AOS4 Screenshots !

-- I will also keep a Gallery for my cats...

Jerry

Edited by AmiGame on 2008/6/20 15:27:49

Defender of my A1XE-G4 / AOS4 Final Update !
Looking for a new toy ? Then try a GP2X...
Go to top
Re: Web Hosting
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmiGame

I use Flump (the cheapy package - ?1 a month) Severely limited bandwidth and disk space, but Unsatisfactory seems to cope OK, with a few tricks to gzip compress everything being served.

The other one I use is Weycrest, who have a better package for not much more (again, I'm talking the chaepy one), although it doesn't support Perl (although it does say on the website that it does, so I'll have to check that again). PHP works anyway.

You don't need any more if that's all you are thinking of hosting. In fact, you could probaby get away with Awardspace's free hosting which I've used in the past (with my own domain). It doesn't support Perl or PHP though, so if you need those it's obviously not going to be any good.

Chris

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

Thanks for the reply. I think the Disk Space might be a bit "low"... Indeed, if I have time, I'm planning to upload a list of Amiga Games (just the list not the games) with screenshots... In the hope that I manage with time to have a screenshot for most Amiga Games ever made (especially commercial ones)... I wouldn't break any (UK?) copyrights laws by doing this, would I ?

Jerry

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

I think I found a better option than HostGator...
bluehost seems to provide a lot of features at a reasonable price... And it sounds like the Domain Registration is "free for life" (as in included in the price !)...

Jerry

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmiGame

That looks pretty good, cheap too. You don't really know until you start using them though!

There won't be any problem with screenshots, that comes under "fair use"

I prefer UK hosts due to network traffic/speed, but if the people accessing aren't concentrated in one area it probably doesn't make much difference.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

Now, I just need to come up with a "nice" name...

I was thinking of AmiGameConnect... Though I don't like it much... And some people might take it as AmigaMEConnect instead as it's not really case sensitive !

Maybe something like amigarden...

Jerry

Go to top

See User information
@AmiGame

Why not buy some webspace from Amigans? This is a dedicated server so they could allocate you some space and set all the DNS stuff up? Its not my decision but it could be a good way of supporting Amigans and at the same time not having to share a server with tons of people who you don't know.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiGame

hmmm... Seems to me you're just going to try to duplicate the work at Hall Of Light.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmiGame

Have a look at Supanames 'Value Pro' package, unlimited bandwidth for ?23.99 + VAT per year, minimum contract is 2 years.

http://www.supanames.co.uk/hosting/linux/valuepro

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin

Oops... That's a long time I haven't visited that site !
Indeed, it looks great and it seems like my site might be smaller than planned as I don't want to duplicate efforts !

Well... It will still contain a few AOS4 screenshots and some other stuff (Not only Amiga related...) as soon as I come up with the right name for the domain...

Hopefully if everything goes as planned, it shall be live by the end of July, beginning of August...

Jerry

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'm thinking of the Domain www.CogitoBase.com which is currently available...
// As it won't contain only one type of things...

How does that name sound ?

The content I'm planing so far are:
-- Amiga Section (with some IFF/JPG Backdrops to download amongst other things)

-- Persian Cats Section (with a lot of pictures of my two Persians girls)

-- Recipes Section (every times I cooked somethings, all of my family-in-law and a few friends asked to email them the recipe)

-- Maybe a section with some software for windows () But I need to first check that doesn't breach my "work contract" even if the application is rewritten... One of the application I'm thinking of, is an EnergySaving Application which is more reliable than the Windows "feature"... Allowing my company to save over 13% in Electricity !

-- Maybe a "Technical Tips&Tricks" Section (though www.Experts-Exchange.com is already really good so I don't want to duplicate the effort)... Again for windows as unfortunately I'm working more with Windows than I would like to!

Also I would need to come up with some kind of Logo for it... So if anyone out there has some spare time, that would be more than welcomed !

Jerry

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Bump ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmiGame

Definitely not BlueHost, unless you don't mind your site suddenly being taken offline and deleted by them with no warning or explanation.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Minuous

That would be rather unfortunate !...
So it looks like I have to look further for the right "provider"... I'm likely to take a decision this week though.

Jerry

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmiGame

I use UH-Hosting (www.uh-hosting.co.uk). Never had problems.

Go to top

Register To Post