Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4 for classics.. any update soon?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

this probably has been talked so many times before.. I supose there's an update coming in the next few weeks for the problems reported with mediator and graphics cards... so i just wanted to know if we can expect the BlizzardPPC SCSI controller to be supported with this update or any other in the future...

Cheers,

Dragster

Go to top
Re: OS4 for classics.. any update soon?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Dragster

later this month hopefully according to Rogue

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TiredOfLife

Really? It would be awesome if they supported the BPPC's scsi controller in this coming update... it's way too slow on IDE.

Thanks,

D.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Dragster

Quote:
so i just wanted to know if we can expect the BlizzardPPC SCSI controller to be supported with this update
No.

Quote:
or any other in the future...
Very unlikely.
There was no OS4 developer who has the required hardware, knowledge about SCSI in general, the SCSI chip used in the BPPC, how to implement an AmigaOS disk driver, etc., and is willing to implement a driver for it for several years. Why do you expect anything has changed a few weeks after the release, or will change in the future?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

Why do you expect anything has changed a few weeks after the release, or will change in the future?

You're right, now that you mention all this, I shouldn't expect anything... that's why I was asking, if I would have known this, I wouldn't even have bothered asking..

Thanks for clarifying this.

D.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

What chip exactly is used?

And is there someone who has a link to the specs/docs.. could be fun to see what has to be done for a driver.. as I never have done any disk drivers before..

RWO

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo

I may be totally wrong here, but I found this page which seems to indicate a TolerANT 53C710 might be used. If that's correct, I guess it's the same chip as the A4091 and WarpEngine SCSI controllers. Linux drivers sources seems to be available here for example.

But then I know absolutely nothing about SCSI

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiDog

Quote:
I may be totally wrong here, but I found this page which seems to indicate a TolerANT 53C710 might be used. If that's correct, I guess it's the same chip as the A4091 and WarpEngine SCSI controllers.
It's a 53c710, the same chip is used in the A4000T as well. If someone writes an AmigaOS4 driver for it it can be used for the A4000T motherboard SCSI controller as well (only the hardware addresses have to be changed).
It's a scripts based SCSI controller, i.e. you very likely have to write scripts assembler code for it as well. Using the scripts code of a driver written for another OS in an AmigaOS driver usually doesn't work, at least not without problems and limits in the driver which shouldn't be there ...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmiDog

Exactly, the chip is that one, 53c710... so, there are drivers for other cards with this chip, also there are Linux drivers as you clearly point.. but we don't kknow anything about scsi and as some say, this is an almost impossible task, because there are no developers with enough scsi knowledge in the amiga scene... so, how's the CyberstormPPC uwscsi controller supported and working with OS 4? magic maybe?

Cheers,

D.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Dragster

Quote:
so, there are drivers for other cards with this chip
There is no AmigaOS4 driver for the A4000T motherboard SCSI controller either, the old AmigaOS 3.x one doesn't work on OS4. It doesn't help if there are other drivers for 710 controllers which do work on OS4 since we don't have the sources nor a licence to be able to use them and add the required changes (different hardware addresses, etc.) for the BPPC.

Quote:
so, how's the CyberstormPPC uwscsi controller supported and working with OS 4? magic maybe?
The magic is called NetBSD
The NetBSD developer who ported it to AmigaOS4 only has an A3000, nothing with a 52c710 based controller. Additionally the BPPC 710 driver in NetBSD, unlike the CSPPC 770 one, doesn't work IIRC (or maybe there even isn't a special BPPC one but only drivers for PCI 710 controllers).
GPL code like from Linux drivers is useless for a commercial OS, but of course no problem if someone else wants to use it as base for a free 3rd party AmigaOS4 driver.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It's sad the old hardware is coming scarce and old scsi-sources are not easy to get. Well it might be time to invest for a Fast Ata controller along with a spanking new IDE drive.

Amiga - still alive & kickin'!
Go to top

Register To Post