Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Is There a "Hole" in the Periodic Table of Elements? (The Last Element?)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
All the elements above 92 (I believe it is) are Man-made. Although they are created in nature as well, they virtually immediately cease to be (just as in laboratories by us) due to instability from the high amounts of energy involved in making them, therefore the energy is trapped in the nucleus, and breaks it apart near immediately (in time from our perspective).

I was reading this:
http://www.livescience.com/technology/destroy_earth_mp-1.html

And the line, "Creating a microscopic black hole is tricky, since one needs a reasonable amount of neutronium, but may possibly be achievable by jamming large numbers of atomic nuclei together until they stick." made me realize that a "Black Hole" should be an atom on the Periodic Table of Elements" as, having an atom with "X" amount of protons and neutrons for a fleeting moment together in the smallest volume of space possible is sufficient to make a "Black Hole" therefore no real atom above it could ever exist!

The Periodic Table is now complete?

Does anyone else find this interesting?

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: Is There a "Hole" in the Periodic Table of Elements? (The Last Element?)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

You'd have a hard time placing that on the table. When does a black hole become a black hole, and exacly how many protons is that? Billions? That shoots it right past all the other elements that that end the proton count around what...104?

Just remember it's all theory anyway.

I liked # 10 "Total existance failure"

Plaz

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
*crickets*

Seems atomic science topics aren't big around here.

Plaz

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Plaz

Quote:

Plaz wrote:
Seems atomic science topics aren't big around here.
Plaz

Too much like work !

I used to work creating higher number elements like Neptunium and Plutonium at Dounreay, would you spend all day discussing your job on mailing lists. Boring or what !

Bill.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BillE

Quote:
I used to work creating higher number elements like Neptunium and Plutonium at Dounreay, would you spend all day discussing your job on mailing lists. Boring or what !

Only if it worked as a babe magnet I guess.
"Is that an fusion reactor in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

So how is tha puppy at brewing beer? :)

Follow up:
Good greif man, I wouldn't have my beer any where near there. Sounds like a potential mess from the cold war days.....

Quote:
A 65-metre deep shaft used for intermediate level nuclear waste disposal is contaminating some groundwater, and is threatened by coastal erosion in about 300 years time. The shaft was never designed as a waste depository, but was used as such on a very ad-hoc and poorly monitored basis, without reliable waste disposal records being kept. In origin it is a relic of a process by which a waste-discharge pipe was constructed. The pipe was designed to discharge waste into the sea. Historic use of the shaft as a waste depository has resulted in one hydrogen gas explosion [2] caused by sodium and potassium wastes reacting with water. At one time it was normal for workers to fire rifles into the shaft to sink polythene bags floating on water.[3] There are fears that accumulated material might represent a potential critical mass

Plaz

Go to top

Register To Post