Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 95

salass00, davebraco, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AmigaONE XE-G4 boot
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy
I'm not sure if your exclamation point means that it lasted "only" or "as much as" 3 years.

In any case, for a clock IC which is powered by the battery even when the machine is on, 3 years is normal.
If the system wasn't so picky about the voltage when it drops below 3V, it might even be bootable after 5 years.

In Benny's case however, since he pulls the plug, it could result in all sorts of wonderful and undesirable things...

Unless the machine is also grounded by an external peripheral like a printer or CRT monitor, pulling the plug also removes the earth/ground line, leaving residual electical/electrostatic charges "floating" in the machine with nowhere to go (and probably nothing better to do than create havoc).

Some bits appear to occasionally get stuck in the VIA registers, pulling the plug has proven to be effective at shaking them lose when the machine won't boot but maybe it can have the opposite effect too?

A1-XE-G4 7455/933 - 2GB RAM - OS4.1 beta - Radeon 9200-256
Audigy2 - ESI Julia - Solo1 - X10 (cm11a) - WiFi (WAP11) - 2x80GB HDD
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AlexC

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
@Ricossa

Arghh!
Consider taking a close look at that CPU module and setting it right once and for all, rather than risking damaging the very fragile connectors on the module and motherboard.

The module should be perfectly parallel to the motherboard.
If it is slanted towards the Articia and memory slots it wasn't correctly inserted all the way.

In that case you're better off removing the motherboard from the case to re-install the module properly.
Also inspect the megarray pins from various angles to make sure none of them are bent.

The safest way to install the module is to lower it very gently while keeping an eye on the connectors to make sure they're aligned, it should slide in effortlessly or it's not aligned/parallel, in which case pins could get bent.
Once it's as far in as it easily wants to go, it actually requires several pounds of pressure to be lowered all the way and it should become obvious when it stops with plastic against plastic.

Replacing the screws requires some care as well, to avoid damaging or shorting surrounding components.
It only needs to be tight enough to prevent the module from getting lose but not so tight that it would bend or put stress on the PCB.
Using spacers helps a lot there as they prevent bending the boards and also add better support for heavy heatsinks when moving the computer.

Has the mounting of the fan also influence, as my system is becoming locked as I'm working with OS4.

I knew my CPU module is screwed to the motherboard. But I replaced the fan a few years ago, and you can move the fan a little. It is not very tight to the cpu.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@benny

If you get random lockups then you must check your cpu fan. I had sudden random lockops on my a1 the other day. Then i started checking the computer. I found out that one of the two pins(or similar) holding the fan on the cpu had loosened. When i refitted it everything was running perfect again

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
@benny

When you remove the battery, have you tried putting the old one back in?

You shouldn't have to replace the CR3032 so often.

Your booting problem is a known issue with Micro A1's, but this is the first time I have heard of it on the XE hardware.

The Micros need the battery shorting before reapplying the power after "moving" the machine, and they then boot fine. This doesn't seem to affect all micros either, but I know of at least 3 that suffer this malady.

So I'm wondering if the pure fact that you are removing and replacing the battery is what makes it boot (same as the micro) rather than the fact you are putting in a fresh CR3032...

Simon

I found another weakness.
I replaced the original fan for an silent-X one in 2005, but it run on 5 or 7 volt.
I put it back to 12volt and the system has not halted sinds then.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @benny

I replaced the original fan for an silent-X one in 2005, but it run on 5 or 7 volt.

Put in a Zalman fan ; mounts on the PCI mount backplane. Guaranteed to cool down whatever else you got!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11367727@N07/1287884906/

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Benny

On my own experience,I know that the battery of the A1
gives some problems that the machine eats hungrily
all the batteries I have used on my A1.
Other issues or posibilities are not contemplated
on my case.
So my idea:Pick the A1 and give it a try on a PC
Repair Center.
On April 2007,this year,I havr to give my Amiga One to
a repair center.They checked the machine internally and
on 5 minutes put it back on the road again.
Maybe this can help you...or no,but give it a try and
tell us what is the real problem behind the scene.
Good luck benny!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
Hi @benny

Put in a Zalman fan ; mounts on the PCI mount backplane. Guaranteed to cool down whatever else you got!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11367727@N07/1287884906/

What Zalman type is that ?

Atleast this one is mounten on the cpu-card.

http://www.debornell.dk/VF900cu/

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Quote:

MamePPCA1 wrote:
@Benny

On my own experience,I know that the battery of the A1
gives some problems that the machine eats hungrily
all the batteries I have used on my A1.
Other issues or posibilities are not contemplated
on my case.
So my idea:Pick the A1 and give it a try on a PC
Repair Center.
On April 2007,this year,I havr to give my Amiga One to
a repair center.They checked the machine internally and
on 5 minutes put it back on the road again.
Maybe this can help you...or no,but give it a try and
tell us what is the real problem behind the scene.
Good luck benny!!

Well not many repair centres in the neigherberhood, i would prefer to send it too an Amiga repair centre.

But for the moment, after doing the fan from 7 to 12 volt, the system is rocksteady! So i'll keep it this way, for now.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)