Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: Sam460 which file systems can be used
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@skynet

Quote:

New owner of an X5000, I have a question regarding the blocksize, Buffers, Maxtransfer and Mask, is this the same information for all your partitions?

I apologize, I had overlooked your question. Yes, I use the same settings for all my partitions and have never had any problems.

But as already mentioned, @Joerg should know even better which settings are best for the SmartFileSystem.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@skynet

As X5000 owner, you have the privilege of using NGFS (NGF\00 or NGF\02 if you have access to the latest version).
It is the best filesystem for NG systems.

I use a blocksize of 4096 and a buffer size of 6000.

Max transfer and mask values are ignored. So you can keep them default.

Edited by geennaam on 2024/3/1 21:36:42
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@smarkusg

Quote:

I may not agree with it, but you are the creator of SFS and owner of the rights to it, and I accept what you wrote and your decision.

SFS was originally created by John Hendrikx. He released source codes and other people used this sources to bug-fix/enhance/port (ie. also other systems like MOS or AROS, not just AOS4) it. Everyone can theoretically (re)make/build/port their own SFS if interested, but I don't know how much time it would take or how well the fixes/changes/enhancements in AOS4 SFS are documented if there are "critical" ones, you don't want to loose.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
Freeing some guest memory is the only advantage that disabling disk cache could bring but as @maijestro found there may be some unexpected issues with some software so maybe it's not worth it. On real machine you'd also have diskcache so you should be able to run the same sofrware with diskcache enabled as on real machine. So I'd say this is an expert setting that should only be done by somebody who knows what they are doing and tested it that it would help as this could be different for each QEMU install depending on host OS and host HDD.

The on board SATA of sam460ex isn't emulated. QEMU emulates a SiI3112 card which is used on sam460ex. QEMU can also emulate some SCSI cards but those are untested and may not work. (There are some patches on the list to improve lsi53c895a and NCR53C9x/ESP controllers to work with HP-UX and MacOS guests so maybe they could work eventually but did not try those.) However since the same sii3112 works with other filesystems and also works with pegasos2/amigaone it's not likely the issue is with SATA emulation but maybe with PPC440 which is only on sam460ex or some other hardware specific to sam460ex that's not used on other machines.

Edit: Actually pegasos2 and amigaone use via-ide so then maybe can be tested with sii3112 instead. One could add to pegasos2 command something like -device sii3112 -drive if=none,id=hdx,format=raw,file=sfsdisk.img -device ide-hd,drive=hdx,bus=ide.2 to add an sii3112 card and a disk connected to that and see if that reproduces the problem.

I've tried it with amigaone and sii3112 as above and SFS partition shows up with that but not on sam460ex but this is with the SFS on the install CD which may not work on sam460ex. I don't have any other SFS version. So likely not related to sii3112 emulation.

Edited by balaton on 2024/3/1 13:07:35
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@balaton

SCSI (LSI/NCR/SYM 53c8xx) works but AOS4 (lsi53c8xx.device.kmod) doesn't seem to support this model of card is in QEMU.
uboot sees the card and the board but, it even loads the system boot .... and that is the end.

edit:
Here the command line
-machine pegasos2 -rtc base=localtime -m 1024 -bios ./pegasos2.rom -serial stdio   -vga none  -device sm501 -device lsi53c810,multifunction=on,id=scsi -drive file=Pegasos2InstallCD-53.54.iso,id=scsi_iso,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=scsi_iso

I checked on pegasos with rom and bboot because I have this emulation currently available

Edited by smarkusg on 2024/3/1 14:58:46
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@smarkusg
Check which PCI product ID the QEmu emulated 53c8xx uses, you may have to change the default (000F) used by lsi53c8xx.device.kmod with the U-Boot variable scsi_pci_override (nvram.config text file in the Kickstart on the Pegasos2 instead) to the one used by QEmu.
More information about it is in lsi53c8xx_dev.doc

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

Thank you very much for your help !!!
I will check in the evening when I have more time and let you know SFS on lsi53c810 in QEMU/sam460 works.

EDIT:
On qemu sam460 i have crush.... looks like some kind of problem with qemu
Assertion failed: (s->current == NULL), function lsi_do_command, file lsi53c895a.c, line 866.
zsh: abort /tmp/z2/bin/qemu-system-ppc -machine sam460ex -rtc base=localtime -drive

Edited by smarkusg on 2024/3/1 23:14:11
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg @balaton

I also added the device "-device sii3112" under the Pegasos2 machine AmigaOs4.1 booted without problems, but I am not sure if the device is actually used. Under SysMon the card is recognized.

I entered it like this for my real SSD:

-device sii3112 -drive format=raw,file=/dev/disk6s2

AmigaOs4.1 SySMon:

Resized Image

I assume that the driver is supported by the guest side, since it is also recognized. Shouldn't Media ToolBox also display this Card when it is actually used?

sii3112ide.device 53.22 (28.6.2017)
[
sii3112ide/dev_initFound chip #0
[sii3112ide/init_port] ---> Port 0
[sii3112ide/init_portIOBase 00001300AltBase 0000130A
[sii3112ide/init_portbmcr_base 00001320
[sii3112ide/init_portMMIOBase 84280000
[sii3112ide/init_portConfig not forcedscanning port 0...
[
sii3112ide/reg_configassuming device 0 is TYPE_NONE
[sii3112ide/reg_configthere is no device 0 (sc 00 sn 00)
[
sii3112ide/init_port0 device(son port
[sii3112ide/init_port] ---> Port 1
[sii3112ide/init_portIOBase 00001310AltBase 0000131A
[sii3112ide/init_portbmcr_base 00001328
[
sii3112ide/init_portMMIOBase 84280000
[sii3112ide/init_portConfig not forcedscanning port 1...
[
sii3112ide/reg_configassuming device 0 is TYPE_NONE
[sii3112ide/reg_configthere is no device 0 (sc 00 sn 00)
[
sii3112ide/init_port0 device(son port
[sii3112ide/dev_initNothing startedbailing out

I will test it later on the Sam460 machine.

Edited by Maijestro on 2024/3/1 16:21:02
Edited by Maijestro on 2024/3/1 16:28:27
Edited by Maijestro on 2024/3/1 16:28:44
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
No it's not used that way, you just added a card but did not connect a disk to it. See 'info qtree' command in QEMU monitor to see what devices are there and where they are connected. On pegasos2 and amigaone the via-ide buses are ide.0 and ide.1, the sii3112 will be ide.2 and ide.3 so you'd need to use one of these to connect the disk through the sii3112.

On sam460ex you only have sii3112 so there ide.0 and ide.1 correspond to that SATA card. I've tried that SFS works with sii3112 on amigaone (I think it's the same with pegasos2) but does not work on sam460ex so I don't think it's related to disk controller.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusg
Setting the SCSI card ID for the driver may work on pegasos2 through nvrom.txt but since SFS works there it probably won't help much. But you can try if these SCSI cards work and if they are faster or same as IDE. At least they can take 7 devices instead of 4.

But setting the ID on sam460ex may not work as there's no nvram to save this for the OS so unless this can be passed by some other way you may not be able to change it on sam460ex. You can do setenv in U-Boot and saveenv but as there's nothing at the nvram AmigaOS won't see this after booting. It may be easier to change the device ID in QEMU for testing. The SCSI cards are in qemu/hw/scsi and look for .device_id near the end of the file. You can't just set anything there, it should be some device that works the same as the emulated one though otherwise the driver cannot drive the card.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balaton

Quote:

No it's not used that way, you just added a card but did not connect a disk to it. See 'info qtree' command in QEMU monitor to see what devices are there and where they are connected. On pegasos2 and amigaone the via-ide buses are ide.0 and ide.1, the sii3112 will be ide.2 and ide.3 so you'd need to use one of these to connect the disk through the sii3112.

I only got this information about Qemu Monitor, but I don't think it will be helpful.

Resized Image

Basically I just want to test if there is any change in the speed of the hard disk when using this card, but since it is an emulation trade it probably doesn't matter.

I don't know how to connect my real SSD, but I tried it with a virtual HD and yes it works without any problems, the HD also uses the SmartFileSystem. This time Media ToolBox also recognizes the HD.

Resized Image

Edited by Maijestro on 2024/3/1 17:08:07
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@balaton
Quote:
But you can try if these SCSI cards work and if they are faster or same as IDE. At least they can take 7 devices instead of 4.
As long as NVRAM isn't supported and sii3112ide.device.kmod can't read it's U-Boot config variables like sii3112ide_xfer the lsi53c8xx.device.kmod driver should be faster.
SATA sii3112 (and 3512) only supports 2 devices, only the SATA 3114 and the PATA IDE drivers support 4 devices.

Quote:
You can do setenv in U-Boot and saveenv but as there's nothing at the nvram AmigaOS won't see this after booting. It may be easier to change the device ID in QEMU for testing. The SCSI cards are in qemu/hw/scsi and look for .device_id near the end of the file. You can't just set anything there, it should be some device that works the same as the emulated one though otherwise the driver cannot drive the card.
There are several 53c8xx controllers supported by the AmigaOS 4.x lsi53c8xx driver, but if you can't set the scsi_pci_overwrite U-Boot variable on Sam460ex emulation because of missing NVRAM support the only way to get it working would be changing the product ID in the QEmu sources to the default one (no scsi_pci_overwrite U-Boot variable) used by lsi53c8xx.device.kmod: 000F

The QEmu default seems to be in https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/include/hw/pci/pci_ids.h
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_LSI_53C810 0x0001
which would have to be changed to 0x000F

Another option, if you have several AmigaOS 4.x versions: Replace the AmigaOne or Sam460ex Kickstart/nonvolatile.library.kmod with the one from the Pegasos2 or classic Amiga version. That way those systems will use the nvram text file in Kickstart instead of, unsupported, U-Boot variables as well.

Edited by joerg on 2024/3/1 18:06:12
Edited by joerg on 2024/3/2 6:46:46
Edited by joerg on 2024/3/2 6:48:30
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg
I did as you wrote.
QEMU Sam460 and Pegasos(pegasos.rom) when trying to initialise after loading the kernel and AOS4 modules from the cd it crashes.
--

in lsi_do_command(LSIState *s)

assert(s->current == NULL
 --

EMU launch command line Sam460
-machine sam460ex -rtc base=localtime -drive if=none,id=cd,file=Sam460InstallCD-53.58.iso,format=raw  -device ide-cd,drive=cd,bus=ide.1  -device lsi53c810,id=scsi0 -device scsi-hd,drive=scsi-drive,bus=scsi0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=-drive file=lol.hdf,if=none,id=scsi-drive,if=none,format=raw

!!!Just for a test I did a rem "assert"!!!
sam460 sees the card and the disk. The problem is on the QEMU side. Most people from what I have seen are tuning the lsi53c810 to run linux via QEMU. It is possible that no one has tried this on AOS before and it doesn't work and the lsi53c810 itself in QEMU needs to be checked.

Resized Image

Pegasos bboot hangs on something like this and booting AOS4 (debug) is stopped
--
[
peg2ide/init_portPort 1 task started
[peg2ide/dev_initAll done
lsi53c8xx
.device 53.22 (28.6.2017)
[
lsi53c8xx/dev_initFound chip #0
[lsi53c8xx/ide_initchipWaiting for devices to spin up..
[
lsi53c8xx/init_port] ---> Port 0
[lsi53c8xx/scsi_scanScanning SCSI bus...
--

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusg
It's very possible nobody tried it with AmigaOS yet. The assert means that the condition should be true. If it's not then there's a problem somewhere, either the guest sent some unexpected commands or there's a problem with emulation. Commenting the assert won't help as it's there to make sure it won't break later. There's a trace in lsi_do_command that you could enable to see which SCSI command resulted in this problem with this QEMU option -trace enable=lsi_do_command which may give some more info on what's happening (but one needs to know how SCSI works to understand that; I don't know that so either somebody here knows or somebody have to read docs to learn).

QEMU actually only emulates lsi53c895a the lsi53c810 is just an alias with a different PCI device ID so if the AmigaOS driver works differently with actual lsi53c895a then you should used that and set the driver option accordigly which you could do by replacing nonvolatile.library to use nvram/nvrom.txt as @joerg said. Maybe that makes the driver send the correct commands for the hardware?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@balaton
It's probably not nonvolatile.library.kmod but nvram.resource.kmod which needs to be replaced by the classic Amiga/Pegasos2 version. Or simply replace both to be sure they are working correctly together, and don't forget to add "MODULE Kickstart/nvrom.txt" to the Kicklayout of AmigaOne or Sam460 and copy or create the file with U-Boot variables. Maybe adding "lsi53c8xx_verbose=1" to it will show why it hangs on the Pegasos2.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@balaton
Quote:
you could do by replacing nonvolatile.library to use nvram/nvrom.txt as @joerg said

After reading lsi53c8xx_dev.doc I changed the card identification in the qemu sources.
In the documentation it even says that the cart "0x0001" should work but requires lsi53c8xx_override 0001
I have not touched anything in the system. I especially didn't want to change anything in the CD.
I wanted sam460 to behave as if it already had the correct card inserted at the start.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkusg
If you want it to work without changes then you'd either need to emulate the right SCSI card (but QEMU can only emulate lsi53c895a) or emulate sam460ex nvram/flash to be able to store settings. But you don't need to change the CD. You can install it with IDE then only change the kickstart in the installed system for testing. I don't know how these cards work and if the driver does things differently depending on card type. If there's a default ID it recognises for lsi53c895a then you could change that in QEMU then that may work better. (For end users it would be easier to change an installed AmigaOS system than QEMU though.)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@geennaam

You should contact Tony and get the latest NGF/01 X5000 file system.

Hyperion - https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.c ... a3979d27b1deef465280f97e1

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg
Quote:
As long as NVRAM isn't supported and sii3112ide.device.kmod can't read it's U-Boot config variables like sii3112ide_xfer the lsi53c8xx.device.kmod driver should be faster.

The sii3112 driver defaults to best UDMA mode (except on amigaone where we've already found how to force that from startup-sequence) so it's not necessarily slower. On real machine scsi is faster because scsi card works independently of CPU and can offload more operations but in emulation that's not necessarily the same and emulating a more complex scsi card may actually be slower. But we could not try yet to confirm so I don't know for sure.

Quote:
SATA sii3112 (and 3512) only supports 2 devices, only the SATA 3114 and the PATA IDE drivers support 4 devices.

It would not be difficult to enhance the sii3112 emulation to make it sii3114, which would probably just need to add more registers for the additional 2 ports but I was too lazy to do that and stopped at two ports. If somebody wants to enhance it for 4 ports then it's in qemu/hw/ide/sii3112.c. Get the data sheet too then it should have all info on what's missing. But one could also just add another sii3112 device if more than 2 ports is needed.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »