Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

white, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 66 67 68 (69) 70 71 72 »
Re: What the fastest possible x64 emulation way of OS4 today ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro

thanks for the tip, i might set up samba some day.
that's what i use for everything else, including my 68k amiga.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@spotUP

Quote:
It looks fine in window mode but the fullscreen modes doesn't match my macs screenmodes, so the amiga image gets scaled or too wide etc. Have you guys got that solved or is this how it is atm?

you may still be using SDL instead of native video output for macOS
add "-display cocoa" to your command line. I didn't see you define it in your command line.
you are approaching the subject of running qemu a bit too haotically it seems to me

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP
Quote:
It looks fine in window mode but the fullscreen modes doesn't match my macs screenmodes, so the amiga image gets scaled or too wide etc. Have you guys got that solved or is this how it is atm?

If there's no mode matching the host resolution you may try one that's an even multiple of the host resolution (e.g. half size) which should scale better than some different resolution. There's no good way to scale something that does not match without distorting something so try to match guest resolution to host within limits that the AmigaOS SM502 driver allows. The update driver should support more resolutions than the older versions.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@smarkusg

"you may still be using SDL instead of native video output for macOS
add "-display cocoa" to your command line. I didn't see you define it in your command line.
you are approaching the subject of running qemu a bit too haotically it seems to me"

aah, i had that in an earlier commandline and forgot to include it in my latest one, it's fixed now... thanks. Let's see if it makes any difference.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I tried a few SDL2 apps now, but i get a black window/screen, i guess i am missing some 3d drivers or so?...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP
Quote:
spotUP wrote:I tried a few SDL2 apps now, but i get a black window/screen, i guess i am missing some 3d drivers or so?...

I'm not sure if you have already downloaded and installed SDL2 from Os4depot.

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=library/misc/sdl2.lha

Also make sure you have set the output to software in Prefs SDL2. Then there shouldn't be any problems with e.g. MilkyTracker, ScummVM, LiteXL and all newer SDL2 applications.

Older SDL1 applications currently have problems under the Pegasos2 machine and the screen output is distorted. You can work around the problem by using "-cpu G3", but then you will no longer have Altivec support available.

3D acceleration is currently not available and we have to limit ourselves to 16 bit screen output. Hans de Ruiter is working on a Virtio graphics card driver for AmigaOs4.1, with this we will get at least 32-bit support.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yepp I installed SDL2. The games rund blind. I hear audio.
The SDL2 settings app was news to me. Will have a look.
Thanks!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Got SDL to show graphics by selecting the software renderer in SDL2 prefs.
I tried the protracker clone and played a mod, here on my M1 mac it is too slow, i get too slow playback and distorted audio.
Let's hope it improves.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUPQuote:
spotUP wrote:Got SDL to show graphics by selecting the software renderer in SDL2 prefs.
I tried the protracker clone and played a mod, here on my M1 mac it is too slow, i get too slow playback and distorted audio.
Let's hope it improves.

PT2 Clone is poorly optimized and uses SDL2 software rendering under real hardware Peg2 it is just as slow. It was a quick port. It also doesn't use compositing for scaling.

Use Milkytracker or TuneNet to play mod files, it works much better.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP
@Maijestro
I don't know much about audio on macOS but weren't there some settings needed to get audio right such as matching host and guest sampling rate and selecting the right option from the different ones in the guest? Not sure what audio card or settings @spotUP uses.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

If uses software scaler, it help only upscaling the changed parts.

My guess that will just under cursor, and scrolling text, vu-meters, that means large part of screen does not need to be redrawen.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:
balaton wrote:@spotUP
@Maijestro
I don't know much about audio on macOS but weren't there some settings needed to get audio right such as matching host and guest sampling rate and selecting the right option from the different ones in the guest? Not sure what audio card or settings @spotUP uses.

Under Qemu 8, the timing of sound playback was too fast, but never too slow during playback.

I used to fix the problem with this line thanks to Volker

-audiodev coreaudio,id=audio0,out.frequency=48000

But I haven't used this line since Qemu 8.1 and the timing of the sound output is fine. I think Volker will have fixed this with a patch after Qemu 8 or someone else.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt
Quote:
LiveForIt wrote:@Maijestro

My guess that will just under cursor, and scrolling text, vu-meters, that means large part of screen does not need to be redrawen.

Quite possibly, I had 100% CPU utilization under AmigaOs4.1 and that in window mode. With other SDL2 applications it is around 30-60% in software rendering. So I suspect that this port was just ported badly, but I have no idea about these things either.

In the comments section on Os4Depot you were able to confirm that it was sometimes executed very slowly. What hardware did you test it on?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
But I haven't used this line since Qemu 8.1 and the timing of the sound output is fine. I think Volker will have fixed this with a patch after Qemu 8 or someone else.

It's possible some fixes went in for 8.2 that makes this work without extra settings. If you also did not have to change anything in the AmigaOS Audio prefs and just works with the default VIA AC97 card and no other apps have issue then maybe it's just the PT2 clone. On Linux and ALSA I still need the option listed on my page to avoid crackling sound. but the default on Linux is pulsaudio so maybe that's not an issue for others.

Another option is to try -device ES1370 which also had a fix in QEMU 8.2 to fix slow playback issue but on pegaoss2 and amigaone it may not be better than the default VIA AC97 but one could try anyway.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:
balaton wrote:@Maijestro
[quote]Another option is to try -device ES1370 which also had a fix in QEMU 8.2 to fix slow playback issue but on pegaoss2 and amigaone it may not be better than the default VIA AC97 but one could try anyway.

There is no need to switch to another driver, VIA-AC97 works really well with Qemu 8.x and Peg2, no crackling or anything else, the sound is very clear under Mac M1.

This note is only for @Balaton in the video you can see a bad session where I use PT2-Clone 100% CPU utilization under AmigaOs4.1 but the sound is played cleanly and directly.

https://vimeo.com/893093482?share=copy

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/12/10 19:05:43
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/12/10 19:10:55
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro

Quote:
Maijestro wrote:@LiveForIt
Quote:
LiveForIt wrote:@Maijestro

Quite possibly, I had 100% CPU utilization under AmigaOs4.1 and that in window mode. With other SDL2 applications it is around 30-60% in software rendering. So I suspect that this port was just ported badly, but I have no idea about these things either.

In the comments section on Os4Depot you were able to confirm that it was sometimes executed very slowly. What hardware did you test it on?

I tried it on an M1 mac.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all
Quote:
@spotUP
Quote:
Ah.. for some reason the fullscreen gadget is greyed out in macos.. but the view/enter fullscreen menu item worked. cool.

That's because QEMU is a cross platform app not really written for macOS so it may do some things differently. It has some supporr for macOS but does not support full screen the way macOS expects. If you're interested in fixing it look at
qemu/ui/cocoa.m

Looks like there's already a patch to support macOS full screen here:
https://patchew.org/QEMU/20231211-coco ... -49f3be0191f2@daynix.com/
that may eventually be merged for QEMU 9.0 that will be released next spring. Until then it could still be tested or reviewed to help it getting merged. For now those can apply and use it who complie QEMU themselves.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balatonQuote:
balaton wrote:@all
Looks like there's already a patch to support macOS full screen here:
https://patchew.org/QEMU/20231211-coco ... -49f3be0191f2@daynix.com/
that may eventually be merged for QEMU 9.0 that will be released next spring. Until then it could still be tested or reviewed to help it getting merged. For now those can apply and use it who complie QEMU themselves.

I just tested this, it works very well with the Pegasos2 machine and "-full-screen" under the AmigaOneXe machine always uses VGA mode instead of output via sm501.

I have set up Qemu Pegasos2/AmigaOneXe with AmigaOs4.1 so that it always starts immediately in the full screen using the line "-full-screen" in the execution script.

In Window Mode, the Full Screen button is now available when using Cocoa and works perfectly.

Thanks for the tip!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@balaton

Super !!! yes yes yes !!!

now you can confidently use the apple ecosystem.
I can move the AOS screen to ipad and macbook - use them separately like a computer or an extra screen.
Thank you @Zoltán for the information and @Akihiko Odaki for the super patch for Christmas under qemu

here's a quick little look at what it looks like for those who don't have the Apple ecosystem

https://streamable.com/vnr64p

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@smarkus

Quote:

here's a quick little look at what it looks like for those who don't have the Apple ecosystem

That's pretty cool, is it just for screen output or can you also control/use AmigaOs4.1 on your iPad/MacBook?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 66 67 68 (69) 70 71 72 »