Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

rjd324, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Is this a glitch or is it normal?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am generally using my X5000 with a different theme. On my X1000 I just started to notice this weird underlining; my X1000 has the default theme.
https://ibb.co/Fm9ztqN
Resized Image

Is this normal?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Is this a glitch or is it normal?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I think it is a glitch. One that I have never seen happen before.

If I click anywhere on the programs window then it sometimes has the underline. If I then click somewhere else so that the window frame goes grey it may or may not still be there. It seems to come and go randomly.

All I can say is that I used to have a 7950 in this X1000 and it died, so I went back to using the 5450. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

===

Weirdly, it only seems to happen with my "Programs" partition. I cannot reproduce it with my Workbench or Other partitions.

===

Actually, it also happened when the Mednafen window opened when I was testing a game

Anyone?

Edited by rjd324 on 2023/6/30 0:09:14
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

I've been seeing that for years on my X1000 (I thought I was the only one...), ever since I upgraded from 4.1.6 to FE Update 1. I was hoping Update 2 would fix it, but no luck.

As with you, it seems random and completely unpredictable. I've only seen it on Workbench windows, but it's inconsistent as to when it happens, and which window is affected (usually just one window, but not always). It seems more likely after I've been using the system for some time, but that's inconsistent, too.

Sometimes it takes the form of a solid line under the entire title, as in your screenshot. Other times it's only part of the title that's underlined. And sometimes it's more like an irregular dashed line that's different each time I open the window. I've even seen it change while the window is open.

It seems harmless, and doesn't appear to affect anything beyond the window titles. I've never even considered reporting it, since it's so random and irreproducible. I recently upgraded to a new graphics card and driver, but I've gotten so used to ignoring the glitch that I can't even say for sure if I've seen it since the upgrade.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeah, I've seen it too. At random. Not only workbench windows (I rarely use those). I've had a HD6750 for years, but recently switched to a RX560, but I can't be sure if I've seen it with the RX560. Have had other more severe gfx corruption with the RX560 though, but that's something else.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Very curious.I've never seen anything like it on any of my machines, using any of my varied assortment of video cards.

The fact that several people have seen it suggests that there is a common cause, and I am pretty sure it is a software cause. I would first revert to the standard GUI theme, as many unexplained GUI effects over the years have occurred with custom themes.

I would next check the versions of graphics.library and diskfont.library, but that is less likely to cause such a problem.

Does it only appear in the window title, or is it visible on other text in the window?

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Deniil

My old card was an HD6570, and I definitely saw the problem when I was using that card. I was using the old v. 1.7 Radeon HD driver at the time. I'm using an R7 250 and the v. 3.7 driver now; I'll keep an eye out to see whether the problem ever occurs with my current setup.

@tonyw

Quote:
I would first revert to the standard GUI theme

I started with the standard theme, but have made adjustments to the various settings to suit my taste. Looks like I'm using the "Subtle" bitmap set for the window borders; I think that was the default set, but I don't recall for certain now.

Having spent a lot of time getting the look I want, and getting Reaction and MUI synchronized so everything looks consistent, I'm not inclined to change any of the settings now.

Quote:
I would next check the versions of graphics.library and diskfont.library,

graphics is 54.248, and diskfont is 53.13. Should be standard FE Update 2 stuff. Though as I noted, I had the problem when running Update 1 as well.

Quote:
Does it only appear in the window title, or is it visible on other text in the window?

I've never seen it anywhere but in the window title. It would be a more serious problem if it showed up elsewhere.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@msteed

Quote:
Having spent a lot of time getting the look I want, and getting Reaction and MUI synchronized so everything looks consistent, I'm not inclined to change any of the settings now.
You might consider making backups of the relevant .prefs files in ENVARC:Sys/ - or if you're lazy, simply backup the whole directory.

That way you have a quick and safe way to get back to your current settings, so you don't have to be afraid of experimenting.

BTW, what about the font you're using for the title bar, has that been changed? Just an idea.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

Quote:
You might consider making backups of the relevant .prefs files in ENVARC:Sys/ - or if you're lazy, simply backup the whole directory.

I make regular backups of the entire system partition (and all the others), so I can restore the preferences if I need to. But you're right, making a temporary copy of just that directory would make restoring the preferences easier after playing around with them.

Quote:
BTW, what about the font you're using for the title bar, has that been changed? Just an idea.

I'm using DejaVu Sans 15 as my screen font, which is the one that's used for Workbench window titles. I think that's the default font, though maybe not in exactly that size.

I've also got a stock FE (Update 2) partition I can boot from, with no changes at all except for the graphics driver. But the problem with trying to use that, or experimenting with changes to the preferences, is that the glitch is so random and infrequent that it's not practical to try changing things to see if it makes a difference- even if I didn't see the glitch for days or even weeks I couldn't be sure that it was because of the change I made, or if it just hadn't happened to show up. Just as I'm not sure now whether changing the graphics card and updating the driver made a difference.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Looking at the grab, random wild guess: concurrent access to same rastport / tmpras (if antialiased font rendering in AOS4 uses that or a similar buffer connected to rastport). Like if app and Intuition (input.device task) were rendering to same rastport (maybe some rp cloning missing or optimized away?) at the same time and access to tmpras (or similar buffer) is outside or before other concurrent access protection (like layer locking).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
It looks like a DMA / VRAM Copying bug that was fixed long ago.

What gfx.library do you have?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@broadblues

I've got graphics.library 54.248, as supplied with Update 2. As far as I know, that's the latest public release.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@msteed

Quote:

I've got graphics.library 54.248, as supplied with Update 2. As far as I know, that's the latest public release.

But if I read the thread correctly you do not currently see the issue? You sdaw it with your old card? What gfx lib would you have had had installed when using that card?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hmm I just reviewed my original bug report thread on this, and the problem stopped for me when I changed to a faster card. So it could be the issue wasn't fixed as such.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
But if I read the thread correctly you do not currently see the issue?

I can't confirm seeing the issue since I installed my new graphics card a few months ago. But neither can I confirm that I haven't seen it. I just got used to seeing the glitch now and then and stopped paying much attention to it. I upgraded the RadeonHD driver just before installing the new card, so I can't confirm seeing the issue with the newer driver, either.

Quote:
You saw it with your old card?

Definitely.

Quote:
What gfx lib would you have had had installed when using that card?

The same as now. I only upgraded the card recently, so I ran for a long time with that version of graphics.library and the old card.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@msteed

I can confirm that I still see the issue with EH2 and RadeonRX 560 too.
It's most common in the RDesktopGUI's title bar, but I see it occasionally on Odysseys title bar too.

It doesn't stick on screen shot though! Might be worth mentioning.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top

Register To Post