Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 60

trixie, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

binutils 2.23.2
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Well, let's start a new thread.
I was testing grprof with clib2.
File are created correctly but if I try to use gprof on gmon.out I receive a lot of DWARF errors.

ppc-amigaos-gprof test_grpof gmon.out analysis.txt
BFD
Dwarf Errorfound dwarf version '5'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '0'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '5405'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '295'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '207'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '5352'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '68'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '0'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '1024'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '35332'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '26990'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
BFDDwarf Errorfound dwarf version '260'this reader only handles version 2and 4 information.
more..

If I use the linux one i get this error:
gprof test_grpof gmon.out analysis.txt
BFD
DWARF errorcan't find .debug_ranges section.
BFD: DWARF error: can'
t find .debug_ranges section.
BFDDWARF errorcan't find .debug_ranges section.
BFD: DWARF error: can'
t find .debug_ranges section.

So there is something that is causing a lot of problems in our generated exe files
Any hint?

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Re: binutils 2.23.2
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Afxgroup

Prepare for some wall of text :)

binutils

Newer binutils generate dwarf4/5 sections, which our-old-current one can't. But, the newer GCC we use now, of course, will create dwarf4/5 sections for any debugging purposes. Because of this, you can't load any binary created with newer GCC to the old GDB, which only know about old dwarfs. And the same about other debugging tools which has those old/new dwarf differences. If i remember right you can provide the version of dwarf being added into the resulting binary, but with my tests even if i say directly to use older dwarf, some link libs or whatever of new GCC still add pieces of drarf4/5.

I was trying to update binutils, and was able step by step update version by version, but then, month or two ago MigthyMax starting working on the latest binutils, and i was in hope it will be "soon for testing", but since then nothing, so maybe we need to back to our old route, and update binutils version by version (as it will less and less major changes if step by one version), to the version which can generate dwarf4/5 stuff.

To give a little more general info, the DWARF-5 support was added in 2017-02, so the version of Binutils coming after was 2.28. So we just need at least update on few versions up (to 2.29), without needs to port the very latest one which will be harder as it have more changes.

gprof

Related to the gprof: I was digging in pretty well, and find out why it didn't work for us currently:

short story: Gprof didn't generate proper output now because base address in elfs changes from 0x00000000 to 0x100000000, but respective parts in gprof weren't updated.

long story: gprof still working in SDK 53.2 (from the year 2008) even on today's amigaos. Things got broken in SDK 53.3 when gprof stops working (the same year 2008, just 9 days later). I start to compare everything between 2 versions of SDK, every single component, and find out that the default ldfscript was changed, and instead of :

PROVIDE (__executable_start 0x00000000); . = 0x00000000 SIZEOF_HEADERS;

It starts to have :

PROVIDE (__executable_start 0x01000000); . = 0x01000000 SIZEOF_HEADERS;

So, when we have there 0x01000000 in two places, then gmon.out created with wrong data inside, and profiling info can't be taken by clibs'2 profiler code. Once I manually change those 0x01000000 on 0x00000000, then gprof start working, and gmon.out output is correct one. Even on todays amigaos4 with today's 11.x GCC.

Of course, it may still have other issues, but at least the main one, is the change of the base adresses.

I even created for myself a patched ld.exe binary, where i just change 1 to 0 in necessary place, so base address start to be again from zeroes, and it makes gprof works. I even can profile a bit of things like for example Capehill's "Tequila" CPU profiler, and more or less big app "Horny" (binary size 1.5MB). And I even was able to use some python script which was built from gprof profiler to output colorful dot graphs. Just check this out:

(hit to open images in new tab for full size)

Tequila:

Resized Image

Horny app:

Resized Image

Then, I asked Thomas WTF, why there 10000000 as base address since some version, and he says that change to 0x01000000 was necessary for sobjs, since these did add a .plt section, potentially in front of the .text (which means 0 as text base address was no longer working).

Need to add, profiling works only with clib2 builds, the newlib one seems broken (or maybe even didn't implemented). Even if i change base address to 0x000000, the newlib one didn't works.

What we can do with all this information i honestly do not know, but, probably we need to fix in adtools gprof related code, to work with 0x1000000 , which probably only require changes in loadseg() stuff or whatever. As you know, files separated well in clib2, and relevant ones here:

https://github.com/afxgroup/clib2/tree/master/library/profile

But probably firstly, we need to port the version of BinUtils which can handle dwarf4/5, and then, step by step start fixing all other issues including support of GPROF again (as it really cool, with all those 3d party scripts and tools from Unix world).

Thomas back then when i asked him about all this, had a quick look at the gprof implementation, and seen that it implements a symbol table for the binary in question. And since we need to translate from the actual LoadSeg() address to .text segment addresses, the symbol table should take care of the translation.

Also, the code relate to gprof have some "/* FIXME: was p->lowpc; needs to be 0 and assumes" notes , but those wasn't added by Thomas.

Additionally, Matthias starting working on all this some time ago, and he added profiling support to kernel for x5000,x1000,sam and stuff , and a little patch this clib2's profiler code (patch should be in your repo too, as it was in Sodero's one for sure), but, he didn't finish sadly the whole fixes for this 0x100000 vs 0x000000 base address thing. Probably we can ask him how far he was, and what he did already, maybe his help will help to finish this.

PS. I wrote mail to Mathias, possibly help will be able to share his findings there. As i remember, he was close with all those 0x100000 vs 0x0000000 things, so possibly he can share some code showing how far he got.

Edited by kas1e on 2023/2/22 12:05:14
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Yes. I remember the problem on gprof not generating correct code due the 0x100000000 but the problem seems different
Because even the linux one doesn't find the .debug_ranges section.
So even if you fix the problem with start address you will have something that is not working because a section seems totally missing

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yeah, dwarf issue of course remain, and binutils 2.29 at minimum need to be ported firstly. I'm doing all my tests with dwarf 2/3 of course.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I guess what you are doing is checkingout/cloning ADTOOLS and going through the patches for 2.23.2 and trying to "port" those patches to the newer version of binutils which - of course - is a lot of manual work.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324
Don't remember exactly details right now, but i for sure just take next version of binutils to our one (not the last one, not 3 versions after, just the next, so to have as small as possible changes). Then i have 2 version of adtools : one original (so to see how code looks like after "patching"), and one with newer binutils, and there i just simple following the logic of code and improve it the same exactly way as it was. I.e. it just matter of non-programming works, some delarations changes, some name of functions, some lines shifts, etc.

But what is most important , is to get rid one time at one of this ifdefs for aros, morphos, amithlong and os3-68k, so patches will be really small, and easy to fix later.

Check the page 13 on this topic:
https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... &order=ASC&status=&mode=0

So you will see how i do/test this all. Why i didn't put it to adtools : because i didn't get hot to make patches properly (as you can see in this thread i provide one single DIFF, but wasn't able to find motivation to deal with adtool's patch mechanic). In general you already can take the diff from the link in this thread on page13, and see what i change (but i don't do any programming there of course, it's all just following the function-names, correcting includes, types and stuff)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
If you want any help with how the patching in ADTOOLS works (GILD) then let me know.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324
If it will be me in end doing it and not someone more skilled like you or max, or andrea, etc, then yeah. But i was in hope someone with better programming skills than me will do so :) All i do there is just simple "puzzle-logic" kind work, no programming.. that mean once changes will be heavier in some version then i will stuck. But then i can ask for help there as always ..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
del

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post