Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

kishigo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Classic 68k MUI - 3.8 or 5.0
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi,
after 20 years with NG machines only I again purchased classic: A1200.
My configuration is A1200 + Indivision AGA + ACA1234 030/50 + FPU/50.

And I have question regarding MUI:

- last classic version I found is MUI3.8.
- what else except MUI I need to have a nice look of Workbench? Do you have some tips? MagicWB looks too historical today.
I had it 20 years before, but looking for something nicer

- what about MUI 5.0? Is it usable on my configuration or is it slow?
@walkero: I read somewhere you use MUI 5.0 on classic, do you have some experiences?

thanks!

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Re: Classic 68k MUI - 3.8 or 5.0
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
workbench has nothing to do with mui. some programs they do.
go for glow icons or something similar to have a nice looking workbench.

A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.2.2 | A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.2.2/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.FE | PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.FE/MorphOS 3.17
MacMini1.5 MorphOS 3.17

Long Live Amiga
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Do not want to hijack the thread, but it may be useful for you too.

Since I am using 3.2.1 instead of 3.9+BB4 then the system is quite minimal. I cannot find an archive extractor program (GUI) that does the job for me.

unarc mui requires registration and for whatever reason when I put in a "DEST" it just does nothing.

Can I just use the unarc program that comes on the original 3.9 CD?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

If you haven't tried it yet:
http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/avalanche

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

I had the same issue as you did and every GUI un-archiver I tried was crashing. I did try Avalanche, couple of versions back, and it would hang my whole system. Only one working as expected is unarc from 3.9 CD, but I will definitely try new Avalanche as soon as I find some free time. My classic system is AOS 3.2.1 with MUI 5 installed (registered via 3.8 reg file).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sailor

I did use MUI5 on my 040/25 machine before I upgraded it and did not see any significant slowdowns. Other tools I find absolutely needed are DockBot v1.11, Magic Menu v2.35 (I think it's a patch for 2.30 so you will need this too) and AfA_OS v4.8 and only it's font subsystem because mono fonts are not reflecting correctly if using Freetype2 on RTG. Check out Walkero's videos for more ideas (and MUI5 at work), specifically how to beautify your Workbench 1 and 2 videos: https://www.youtube.com/@walkero/videos.

Thanks!

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@sailor
I prefer to use MUI 5 instead of 3.x. Its config seems to be slower, especially on some pages, but I haven't seen tremendous slowdowns on applications like IBrowse or AmIRC. In my opinion it is always better to use the latest one.

The 3.x line will not be updated any more, but the 5.x does, although it has some time before the last update. I don't know its status lately.

My A1200 has a 030/50 and I use MUI 5. I am happy with it.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks, and the same question applies for AmiDock. The one on aminet is from 91, and it does not seem to be the same one bundled with 3.9, or BB.

@levellord
Do you also just use the one from the 3.9/BB CD?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Use 3.8.

Why: less, if any, problems.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@All

Unfortunately AfA OS is no longer supported by OS 3.2/3.2.1, you have to fall back on VirtualPrefs, for Icons instead use DualPNGs (the ones in the screenshot I created)

Instead of AmiDOC you can use the excellent "WBDock", see screenshot.

Avalanche works perfectly on OS 3.2, just install the correct requirements (see screenshot)

MUI5 is the best choice, on some upgraded software it is strongly recommended.

OS 3.2.1 RTG + VisualPrefs + WBDock + MagicMenu +DualPNG icons

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DPYH2 ... IMk4O/view?usp=share_link

Edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 2023/2/27 17:41:09
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

You mean for AmiDock? I use DockBot from Aminet, just because it is from 2020 and hopefully under the active development. You might want to try WBDock from Thomas, it looks more fancier but I prefer smaller size and simplicity of DockBot. There is also 3rd option for dock, one that you can find on itch.io (which name escapes me now) but memory requirements are somewhat ridiculous, probably because it is really nice looking one.

Can someone suggest good TTF support for RTG Workbench? I tried Freetype2, but mono fonts are not reflecting good in text editor/DOpus lister or anywhere else. The spacing between them is way too large and changing spacing between each letter is not working in settings. It appears that mono fonts are only working with AfAOS but since this is not in development any more (as AMIGASYSTEM suggested) I would like to try something else.

Cheers!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero + others
many thanks for tips.

I just now registered MUI, so I upgrade it to 5.0.
I also check other enhancements - but I have no RTG, only AGA + Indivision with 800 x 600 resolution.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@levellord

WBDock has 4 Styles, Funny, AmiDock, ToolManager and MagicWB

For TTF Fonts, have you tried using TTF_manager found in the AfA OS package?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hiya @AMIGASYSTEM

For the life of me I can't remember why I gave up on WBDock. I remember installing it but something was off/not working right, or I just did not like it, who knows why I moved on. :)

Regarding the font manager, yes, I am using AfAOS' TTF Manager as it is the only one which is working for me. I was just wondering if there is anything else beside AfAOS and Freetype2 and if it is developed in this century. :)

Other dock I mentioned earlier is QDock: https://8080.itch.io/qdock/devlog/448105/qdock-v117

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@levellord

I have never used QDock, but WBDock works well.

I attach 2 old videos of mine, one made on OS3.2 and one on AROS 68k:

WBDock, The 4 Styles:
https://youtu.be/JnOvxTKIbDE

WBDok, On AROS 68k:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSXcGjkbMU4

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AMIGASYSTEM

WBDock looks good, especially the ToolManager skin. One of the things missing for me was the chip/fast memory available and the clock. Maybe it is there now, or it could be set up, but when I tried, it was not there. I am happy with the DockBot and used to it by now.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@levellord

The clock is a kind of plugIn, it is located in the Apps folder along with others plugin, to see the clock just add the path in the config file, example:

APP SYS:WBStartup/apps/time.dockapp

I am familiar with DockBot, I had contact with the developer where I advised them to add features, which they then did.

However on OS3 there are other DOCs, although I prefer AmiStart.

In the past there were other DOCs, you can see them in this very old video of mine, it is about the operating system of my A400/060 from the early 1990s

https://youtu.be/pp8jtdIVQiw

Go to top

Register To Post