Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Memory question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

It seems now that my A1 is finally heading towards it's resurrection, so I would like to know this:

is the KVR133x72rc3/512MB ram is known to work in pairs in A1XE?
(paired with the similar 512 or 256 stick)
There are kingston chips on it.

TIA
Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: Memory question
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Unless Intuitionbase is obsolete on this information
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS RAM!!!
It is known to be NOT working either with Loonix or AmigaOS4.

The only (to me) known to be working RAM modules (as a pair)
(tested by me and @TMTisFree) is the Crucial brand CT64M72S4R75.

(I have two 512MB modules in my XE and with the latest OS4
update never had problems with it.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@Jack

Unless Intuitionbase is obsolete on this information
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS RAM!!!
It is known to be NOT working either with Loonix or AmigaOS4.

Huh? They list (twice) the sticks with infineon chips, I remember these having problems with A1, mine has Kingston chips, that why I'm asking about these explicitly. In any case, I have no intentions to mix 2 types of chips even in same model names of the ram modules. This model with kingston chip isn't listed there.

Anyway, additional info: the ram was supplied with the A1 by Eyetech.

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Jack,

Please wait a day or two as I am very busy.

Here's the tale thus far.

System:
G4 AmigaOne XE running at 800 MHz.
1.256 GB ram
The MB is not fixed for the two problems it has
I use the IDE connector on the MB, have two HDs and a DVD RW and CD RW in there.
I think it's rom version 1.1.1

I have an IBM 256 meg and 512 meg (2 of each, on loan to me) ECC Reg. sdram pc133 MHz.

They both work.

However, I also have a 1 Gig in there now (ECC Reg. pc 133 MHz sdram, Samsung chips (withholding name of manufacturer)), with the 256 meg in the slot closest to the front of the MB. I bought the sdram in April.

On Friday I bought another sdram of the same type, and will in the next day or two put it in and see if it works or not.

I just had a record uptime of:
System has been up since 12-Aug-07 23:09:53 (total uptime 22 days, 09:06:15)
using AOS4 pre 4. dnetc OGR25 running 24/7 during that uptime. Never restarted Aweb 3.5.08 running from when I booted up.

I have a problem though.

When the computer is booting I hit escape to get to the early boot menu. I select the option of "1024" megs of memory. The computer KNOWS I have 1.256 Gigs of ram, but if I select "1256" megs, it freezes when I cross the 1 gig of ram threshold, which I do by taking a music CD and copying the large music files into the ram disk (about 50 to 70 megs at a time). I select "use settings this time only", BTW. I think I tried 1024 + 256 = 1280 megs.... Hmmm, I think I didn't. Maybe THAT'S the problem? I'll try that before taking the 256 Meg out and putting in the other 1 Gig.

Also, what's the deal with the microAmigaOnes?

Is the maximum ram 1 OR 2 Gigs?
Isn't there only one ram socket on the MB?
IF that's the case, what kind of memory ICs need to be placed on the SODimm PCB?
I found someone who probably will make them, they just need to know what ICs to use. They'll make only one, even. It's not a guy in a garage, BTW.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

If any help, I have two XE's with 512Mb(Kingston) which work fine and tried the other one to put 1 gig to the second slot. The machine would not boot. So I put them as original. 512 is quite enough still:) Both should be some kind of registered ram. I'm glad not to brake anything as the slot was "tight"... I have modified eg. an A500 to have 8Megs of "fast" ram in between a chip so I should know what to do but there is allways a but...

Don't brake Your XE:) Maybe You have to get a 1 gig memory if really needed. (Test it like we have a guarantee that it's returnable within 3 months without reason, nice!)

-PR-

Edit: I could offcourse look up information about these memories if interested/needed. pr@telemail.fi
Just tell me where/what to look... (I have easy access cool towers:)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Error, deleted

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@PR1

Quote:

PR1 wrote:
@Jack

If any help, I have two XE's with 512Mb(Kingston) which work fine and tried the other one to put 1 gig to the second slot. The machine would not boot.

Thanks for the info. I would like a bit of clarification: did you try to use 2 512 MB kingston sticks in A1 or 512MB in 1-st slot + 1GB in second?

TIA,
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

2 x 512 sticks.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@PR1

Quote:

PR1 wrote:
@Jack

2 x 512 sticks.

Now we're getting somewhere, 10x! Are there kingston chips on the ram modules?

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

Oh, sorry, i thought a module with the exact same serial
number should also have the exact same modules/chips on it.

My bad...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

"Now we are getting somewhere" ;)
Kingston modules and on the chips are: (I have to shut the other machine as it is such small print if wanted) Ok so the other one is ValueRAM KVR133X72RC3/512 3,3V . Infineon chips. The other machine as I write is running, oops must go to sleep as the clock is running. Cannot rip the memory now;) It looks exactly the same from a quick glance. Has the same ValueRam stickers.. Bye

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@PR1

Quote:

PR1 wrote:
Infineon chips. The other machine as I write is running, oops must go to sleep as the clock is running. Cannot rip the memory now;) It looks exactly the same from a quick glance. Has the same ValueRam stickers..

When you have a chance, please look at them. All are "ValueRam" and look similar. But as I wrote, when you have a chance. Maybe you would be able to see it without taking it out (enough light, mirror etc). It is not urgent at all.

Thanks a lot,
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@Jack

Oh, sorry, i thought a module with the exact same serial
number should also have the exact same modules/chips on it.

My bad...

Afaik there are at least two variants of the same model. I tend to remember that there're 3.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack
update on my previous post, I had a pm from another interested party and had to look at Intuitionbase for my ram stick specs ( because I couldn't be axxxd to take the cover off the tower ) and found the link was broken for some reason so I thought I would post the details on here.
I can confirm this stick has worked without problems all time I have had my A1 with OS4 and Linux.
It is an Infineon HYS72V128321GR-7.5-C2 128m X72 SDRam
PC133R-333-542-C2 1024Mb, Sync,133Mhz,CL3,ECC,Reg.
the ram chips are all marked infineon.
I bought this when I first had the A1, It is the only stick I have ever used and foun it by looking at the Infineon website, finding a supplier and direct purchase for about ? 70.00
I hope this info helps other peeps but am not sure whether stick is still available anywhere.

Edited by Swisso on 2007/9/11 17:22:18
A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swisso

Quote:

Swisso wrote:
I can confirm this stick has worked without problems all time I have had my A1 with OS4 and Linux.
It is an Infineon HYS72V128321GR-7.5-C2 128m X72 SDRam
PC133R-333-542-C2 1024Mb, Sync,133Mhz,CL3,ECC,Reg.
the ram chips are all marked infineon.

10x for the info. Might prove itself useful.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post