Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Did anyone else here pre/order the new Amiga branded keyboard from Simulant Systems?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Just received mine today. I haven't plugged it in yet but looks fantastic with it's white and grey keys.

Go to top
Re: Did anyone else here pre/order the new Amiga branded keyboard from Simulant Systems?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I did, should be delivered by Jan 4th per tracking info from Evri. I've seen on Discord that RJD had some issues with his keyboard and X1000 or X5000. Please let us know here if everything is working for you when you have a chance to test it.

You shouldn't say that it looks fantastic, now I can't wait for mine to arrive!

Thanks

Edited by levellord on 2022/12/23 19:36:17
Go to top
Re: Did anyone else here pre/order the new Amiga branded keyboard from Simulant Systems?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have mine: https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?t=4884

Also, you will probably need to swap Amiga and Alt keys in Prefs/Input since the Right Amiga key registers nothing in input device. I tested it out. That key does not register a qualifier code or a code. I was hoping I could extend AmigaKeyRemmapper to handle the situation for the Simulant keyboard.

This means that in order to perform a full reset which is my only option since I use an RX card then I need to use the drop down menu and cannot use the keyboard.

Other than that, it is good.

EDIT: oh, I forgot the most important thing. I had to remove bootkeyboard.usbfd from the kickstart modules, otherwise, for whatever reason, the Simulant keyboard uses that driver instead of the HID driver. If you don't do that, the keyboard does not work. Also, if you boot into UBOOT, you get the POLL issues and UBOOT is hard to use. Since we do not do that much, not too much of a problem so keep your original kb for that.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
X1000 here. It works fine in the firmware but there is a problem with the OS. On boot up the keyboard doesn't respond although it shows up as a gaming keyboard in USB Inspector but next to Driver it says bootkeyboard instead of hid.usbfd. When you unplug it and plug it back in shows hid.usbfd for the driver. It won't survive a warm reboot.

So there seems to be a problem initialising the driver on boot.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324
Damn, that sounds like a lot to make it work, for something that should work out of the box. Is that the issue on X1000 or X5000?

I remember Jonas said something that he is connecting his KB via USB hub and he did not have any issues on X5000, can you confirm this please?

I will check Hyperion forum post after work.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@levellord

Just tried it with cheap and generic, passive USB hub and the problem persists.

Hub is this type and very old. I don't currently have an alternative hub to try.
Resized Image

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rob

Thanks for additional info. Jonas stated that keyboard firmware is standard, so this might be something on the OS side. I can't wait and see how it works for me. I'll definitelly try USB hub and straight plug into the back of the board while rjd324's comments will come really handy.

Thanks guys!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rob

Quote:
says bootkeyboard instead of hid.usbfd. When you unplug it and plug it back in shows hid.usbfd for the driver.

plug & play is wonderful.

Sounds like issue where you have more then one USB driver that think they support the same keyboard, maybe you can simply move file out a drawer, or comment out a kickstart module. if you only know what file and where it was located.

you can try

c:usbctrl restart force

It looks like force option does not work
you will get a YES / NO requestor with or without force.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

Thanks for the tip.

;MODULE Kickstart/bootkeyboard.usbfd

Works perfectly now.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
These things are way too expensive to produce for a PC keyboard with a few custom keys. It's functionally equivalent to the official AmigaOne keyboard which had stickers on keys. Which one is the help key? The quality is obviously better. They really need to sort out the firmware issues. It looks like a YAK, yet another keyboard, that still doesn't have an Amiga layout. And I can't see it in black.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
Also, you will probably need to swap Amiga and Alt keys in Prefs/Input since the Right Amiga key registers nothing in input device. I tested it out. That key does not register a qualifier code or a code. I was hoping I could extend AmigaKeyRemmapper to handle the situation for the Simulant keyboard.

That pretty much would render it useless if Right Amiga doesn't work. But looking at the layout, the swap shouldn't need to be set in the prefs, because it's not an Amiga layout. It's a PC layout. That should be enough. Once the full keyboard driver kicks in. It's only needed if the keyboard sends opposite codes for Amiga/Alt if the keys are swapped to be in the "correct" place.

Unfortunately that still leaves you in the dark for the early startup screen. Because they removed the swapping feature in boot menu. They had support for it so don't know why it was removed. Common keyboard layouts aren't affected.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am just documenting my situation.

Anyone else who actually has the kb, feel free to help me and make things better.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

The paper slip in the box says that right Amiga key is used as a modifier for the Function keys. The problem is probably related to that.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeah, I want to wait and see how this works for other people before I start making modifications.

There is meant to be a device coming soon which will convert the keyboard to a classic Amiga keyboard. Presumably this means that RAmiga will become a key that registers a Qual/Code in input.device.

In any case, as a last resort - I am thinking of opening the case up, bridge the RAmiga key with the Boing key / cut traces so that when you press the RAmiga key it is effectively the same as pressing the Boing key and then make a modification to AmigaKeyRemapper 1.3 to treat the Boing key as if it was the RAmiga key since the Boing key does actually register with input.device.

But, I want to wait an see what situations other people have.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Necro posting here, sorry.

@rjd324 @Rob

Were you able to resolve issue with RAmiga key, or still the same deal?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It has never really caused me a massive issue so I have never looked any further.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Sounds good, thank you for your reply!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
But, I think without some hardware modification or some flashing, the Right Amiga key on these keyboards is as dead as the Dodo.

Maybe I will do something with my soldering iron, soon, but ever since swapping Alt with A keys, I have never had a problem.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Yes, I swapped ALT and A keys as well, it just bugs me that A keys are not recognized. Thanks!

Edited by levellord on 2023/11/11 0:48:46
Go to top

Register To Post