Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
74 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Is NGFS causing these issues? (And, how to setup and install SFS2)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Am I starting to understand why I have heard of some people still using SFS on their X5000 machines?

I thrash shell quite a bit. So, I am constantly deleting files, updating svn repositories, crunching over files to generates CTAGS etc.

I am starting to see errors like:
DELETEError 254

I also get an error 254 when I run SEARCH over a directory containing many sub directories and many source files. Yet, the same search command that I use in my own ctags script works fine on the X1000 and SFS.

I am starting to see certain .svn files becoming corrupt.

On another thread I was also told that Odyssey highlighted some issues with NGFS that I seem to also have.

Starting to think that when I do re-install OS4, it will be with SFS instead of NGFS.

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/8/8 14:13:30
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Is NGFS causing these issues?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
9.Workbench:> other:dev
9.Other
:Devdelete SVN_AMIGAall force
DELETE
Error 254
9.Other
:Devrename SVN_AMIGASVN_AMIGA_other
9.Other
:Devrm SVN_AMIGA_other/ -rf 
rm
cannot remove directory `SVN_AMIGA_other/': Is a directory
rm: cannot lstat 
`-rf': No such file or directory
9.Other:Dev> rm -rf SVN_AMIGA_other/
rm: reading directory `SVN_AMIGA_other//mednafen-1.29/Documentation/.svn/wcprops'
Input/output error
rm
cannot remove directory `SVN_AMIGA_other//mednafen-1.29/Documentation/.svn': Directory not empty
rm: WARNING: Circular directory structure.
This almost certainly means that you have a corrupted file system.
NOTIFY YOUR SYSTEM MANAGER.
The following directory is part of the cycle:

`SVN_AMIGA_other//mednafen-1.29/include/minilzo_external/.svn'

9.Other:Dev>

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

I also have had problems with delete command lately, but I’m pretty sure I have SFS2.

the version string says “Delete 53.4 (26.Jun 2020)”, the FORCE argument does not ignore the protection flag as it should.

If the file is in use, and has file lock, then you can’t delete it. For example if you have buggy program, or program that has crashed, you can have hanging file or directory lock.

In my case I was able to delete it all from directory opus 4, so I did not have file lock. If you wonder if you have file lock problem you can use snoopy. (however it be better if command, just reported why, file or directoyr was not deletable)

@AmigaKIt, if your working on replacing this command, it be also nice with a ignore and continue option.

An interactive option be nice too, options like: ignore, retry, or quit.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2022/8/7 11:11:40
Edited by LiveForIt on 2022/8/7 11:23:27
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
This almost certainly means that you have a corrupted file system.

Well, if we assume the error message is correct, if you have corrupted filesystem, it can be caused by program the filesystem being interrupted in middle of operation, some filesystems are more tolerant to this, like SFS2. This why I use it, but you should try to repair your filesystem, (if no repair tool exists, you most copy all the files, format, and restore copy files back.)
If you continue to have a problem, then this might be hard drive problem.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I will do my own searching, but I will also ask it here..

What are the drawbacks of using SFS over the NGFS?

George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

JXFS and NGFS are filesystems that was suppose to replace SFS, they support extremely larger partitions, don’t remember 100%, but I believe Timber Wolf need a new filesystem feature. What SFS don’t support.

Disadvantage of using SFS is that’s incompatible with MorphOS. But that’s mostly not an issue, for anyone who don’t have MorphOS. People who have MorphOS dual booting has experienced data corruption, becareful.

you can try google it, or there is sys:documentation drawer that might explain it exactly.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Is there actually an option for SFS/02 with the X5000 iso?

I see SmartFileSystem but it shows as DOS\07.

I only seem to have ffs. When I do install the os, it goes on to say that sfs is no longer distributed. I think that ffs and sfs seems to be used incorrectly which also leads to confusion.

What I want is to test out os4 on the sfs 2. So, how to do that?

Thanks.

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/8/7 20:29:32
Edited by rjd324 on 2022/8/7 20:40:15
George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
AOS4 iso for X-5000 is done by Hyperion which do not have the SFS rights anymore, bought by A-EON so you get SFS2 when you purchase the Enhancer Pack from A-EON, but you can not boot from a SFS2 partition on a X-5000, at least not at first.

You always need a NGFS partition to boot the system initially ("cold boot")... same goes for FFS2 BTW

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Right, so this means that I need to create a "boot" partition (workbench/system) that is NGFS. From there, I can boot and insert Enhancer v2 and then create additional partitions formatted with SFS2?

At the end, I will end up with something like:

Dh0 ngfs
Dh1 sfs2
Dh2 sfs2
Etc...
?

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I use SFS/02 for all partitions including the System partition

You can find SmartFileSystem v2 exclusively on the Enhancer Software.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes, but how to install it?

We are in the bootstrap situation.

Presumably, you have to run the ISO image and boot into workbench. Then, insert a USB drive containing the SFS software so that you can use the mount/hdtools (whatever it is called) to partition to SFS2 because SFS2 is not available on the ISO image.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
If you previously bought one of our machines direct from
us or second hand it should have come with an Emergency Boot USB. This contains all of the Enhancer Software files and bypasses all the shortcomings with the OS4.1 boot iso. More detailed information is here:

http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=X5000_Emergency_Boot_USB

We always installed our X5000 with SFS2 for customers.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I didn't, but it sounds like I can just use the ISO image from hyperion, boot into workbench from the ISO and just bung in Enhancer v2 and use that media toolbox to format everything into sfs2.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
How do I partition using SFS 2?

Even after installing AO4.1feu2 + enhancer 2.1 I can still only see:

STANDARD FILESYSTEM
CUSTOM FILESYSTEM
CD01
SWAP
NGF/00

Thanks.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello

The official wiki pages maybe some help:

http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=SmartFileSystem

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

Thank you.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Is NGFS causing these issues? (And, how to setup and install SFS2)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Right, so the only way I could really do this without a modified ISO "Emergency Boot" image was to use the default one (non-AmigaKit).

Install a normal AmigaOS4 partition somewhere at the end of the SSD drive. Boot into that, install enhancer 2, create my partitions at the front of the SSD as normal and format them using SFS\02. Then, since it seems you cannot install AmigaOS4FE without booting into it first (that is, you cannot seem to just insert the AmigaOS4FE usb stick and just click an install script), I had to copy Workbench: from the temporary NGFS to the newly formatted SFS\02 partition. I did forget to use COPYLINKS in the CP command, so perhaps some of the SOBJ: links are not there, but I am not fond of SOBJ at the moment anyway, and I can fix them in time.

From there, I just booted into the SFS\02 partition and deleted the bootstrap NGFS partition.

Insanely complicated, and I probably missed something obvious.

I think creating my own flash drive "Emergency Boot" containing the AOS4 updates, the SFS file system, the onboard ethernet driver etc would make life very much easier.

In fact, I did try doing that at one point but there was an issue with the Joliet mounting format where all the file names on the flash drive ended up being in upper case, and I did not want all of the file names to be upper case. Not looked into it in more detail. For sure, though, creating your own Emergency Flashdrive will be the way forward!

George Orwell.
Go to top

Register To Post