Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: DefIcons 53.11 Pattern Insertion Using Return or Enter causes extraneous "n" append (SOLVED PARTIAL)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero
Actually, the
POWER QUIET

work-around does work. It solves the issue with the broken version of the string gadget in general. So both sshterm and def-icons.

I have no idea why it solves it since I do not know what "QUIET" does.

I also do not know if it has any effect my setting of "High Power" for my RX 560. I use "High Power" because that is suggested by @kas1e.

Do you know if "QUIET" and "High Power" are completely unrelated?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: DefIcons 53.11 Pattern Insertion Using Return or Enter causes extraneous "n" append (SOLVED PARTIAL)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

Maybe because power command is buggy, and over writes some thing in memory belonging to string class, or maybe it changes a different memory usage, resulting in things being put into memory at different place.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
Maybe because power command is buggy, and over writes some thing in memory belonging to string class

No, the bug is most likely in the string.gadget class (at least that's what I've been told). Also, I'm sure I was getting the corruption before the Power prefs came into existence.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

Seems so:
string.gadget 53.23 (betatest)
- No longer temporarily writes an 'n' character to the end of the buffer, which should fix some nasty race conditions when accessing the buffer.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
Do you know if "QUIET" and "High Power" are completely unrelated?
I believe so.

AFAIK, the QUIET option also here does what that option does in most commands: make the command avoid outputting anything to the console (std output). This is useful for a command in Startup-Sequence (or User-Startup) because if text were printed, the shell window would open to show it, which you normally don't want during startup.

In some cases the same effect is created by appending ">NIL:" and possibly "*>NIL:" (for the error stream) after a command.

As for the Power command itself, I assume calling it without any (other) arguments simply makes it activate the same power setting which has previously been saved in the Power prefs GUI.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)