Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Nuder_Try, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: THEA500 Mini
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've bought an A500 Mini, because I find it difficult to set up various WHDload games, although I have set up some, but I also plan to try and use it for more serious software as well. I have bought a 32Gb card with an updated hacked Workbench containing lots of WHDload games for my A1200 with 10Mb, but found it's quite hit and miss which ones will run!

I think that The A500 Mini has the potential to become a big selling mass market machine, so by buying one I think I'm voting for that and it might just happen!

So far, I've applied the .uae file hack to give access to the Amiberry window, but haven't yet managed to get it to run any adf files. The ones I've tried might have been corrupt or somehow incompatible with The A500 Mini.

One thing I'd really like to do with The A500 Mini is to get a graphics tablet working with The A500 Mini and Deluxe Paint. I've never ever used a graphics tablet with Deluxe Paint, only a mouse, so that would be a big advantage. I don't know if this would be possible. Does anyone know what kind of graphics tablet might work? Is it more likely to be one which is compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi, or some other system? Would it need a special driver? How could it support the classic Amiga graphics resolutions? How does The A500 Mini manage to use its USB ports in Amiga games and Amiga/Workbench OS?

I also wish there was an Amiga layout USB keyboard, but there don't seem to be any for sale anywhere. I think I'll just have to apply some Amiga A stickers to the unsightly Windows keys!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
User reviews so far look to be very good.

On Amazon.nl I read that on average the A500 mini scores a 4.5 out of 5 score based on 371 user reviews (confirmed buys).

I bought my mini from Bol.com, there based on the first 10 user reviews thus far it even scores a 5 out of 5 (confirmed buys).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Retro Games on facebook:

Regarding incoming firmware update

6 mei om 15:55
Just a little end of week update to keep you all ‘in the loop’!
We are in the final testing of the first firmware update #THEA500 mini and as soon as we can, will be releasing it! Obvious we must be sure nothing we are doing in any firmware update breaks something it shouldn’t, hence we have to be cautious before we do release updates!
We are aiming to cover as many things as practical within it you guys have been asking for, such as; more joystick compatibility, a few minor bugs/gripes sorted, plus more ways to access external #retrogaming files…
So, hold that thought, we will do it as soon as we can, and release it as soon as we can!
Thanks to all of you as ever for your ongoing support of what we do!

Regarding North American launch:

2 mei om 20:16
VARIOUS - NEWS/UPDATES -
The countdown to the #THEA500 mini being released in the #USA is finally ticking loudly! While it was beyond our control the later USA release date, we can’t wait for you guys there to finally get your hands on it! 29 days or less to go!
We know stock is either on the way or might even be with Amazon possibly, so you never know it might be released quicker, either way it’s almost there!
BUT A WARNING! We are also aware that most of the USA stock is now pre-ordered… so there will NOT be a lot of stock post release… and the same goes for most other regions… stock is starting to run low…
We have just confirmed batch order two.. but that will not be available till at least August or even later in the year depending on many global factors beyond our control, so if you want to guarantee your #retrogaming fun you need to buy ASAP if you have been on the fence…
Oh.. and did we mention we plan to do a firmware update with many of the things you have all been asking for included in it… like VERY SOON… 😊
Keep checking back!
https://www.amazon.com/A500-Mini.../dp/B09CM1C3LX/

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Retro Games has released firmware update v1.1!

But beware, I read it disables Amiberry's F12 key support!

I'm going to test it anyway... Hope that the Pandory mod does not break when I would like to try that sometime in the future...

https://retrogames.biz/support/thea500-mini/upgrade/

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
With firmware update v1.1.1 F12 support is back.

But beware, the Pandory Mod breaks like it does with v1.1!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just found out that my A500 mini is shipping, should arrive overmorrow.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
NME (New Musical Express) has posted their review of the A500 Mini.

They give the device a 4 out of 5 score in their review while concluding: "The A500 Mini might not rival original hardware, but that isn’t the point. It has its flaws, but is one of the best micro consoles yet, and a great way to visit a defining time for the evolution of video games."

https://www.nme.com/reviews/game-reviews/a500-mini-review-3238143

BBC Science Focus Magazine agrees with this conclusion placing the A500 Mini in their buyers guide: "7 of the best retro games consoles for nostalgic gaming":

https://www.sciencefocus.com/buyers-gu ... st-retro-gaming-consoles/

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I own one and I have to say it is a very good "plug and play" solution for A500 and A1200 games. I am surprised at how well it emulates my WHDLoad games, and now with the latest firmware patch, multi-disk games using ADF format.

I know that a lot of emulation enthusiasts spit on it, because you could get something like this running on a RasberryPi with a fraction of the cost of The A500 mini. But what these people also forget in that argument is that everyone would need A LOT of knowledge about the Amiga chips etc to setup the emulation for each game.

I would also argue that this device is not for hardcore Amiga users that are still using Amiga either through emulation, real hardware or next-gen whatever.

It is for people that were found of the Amiga games and they are paying for not having to become Amiga experts on Amiga emulation in order to play the games they have great memories of.

Current Amiga computers: Vampire V4-SA, Sam460ex, A1-X5000/020
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cageman

I agree with you there! The Mini is a good choice for people just wanting a plug and play solution to play some classic games. Good to hear that it now supports ADF's, that should come in handy.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)