Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

X1000 and X5000 in Fractal Cases (and x1000 vs x5000 CPU questions)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/4/17 23:17:53
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: X1000 and X5000 in Fractal Cases
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

Neat...

/jealous

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Nice stuff there.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
X5 was in a Corsair small case and that was black. Personally I just needed another fractal case. I wanted another fractal r4 like the X1, but hard to find or expensive to import. White cases seem so much less common. Ended up going for the fractal r7 which I do like anyway.

Will install a dvd drive and I think I just about get a floppy drive at the bottom of the fractal case to use with the catweasel. Means I need to pop the grills off to use the floppy drive which I seldom use anyway. The catweasel is in the x1 right now (you can just make it out on the motherboard shots in the drive bays of the X1) and I need to remove the side panel for access. Actually, the flash card reader in the 5.25 slot on the X1 is useless for me anyway because I have CF USB readers and they work fine with usb amigaos.

I could remove the flash 5.25 bay and replace with the floppy drive in the X1 but... not sure which machine I am going to use as my main now! The appeal of hardware accelerated playback is tugging at me. I love my x1 though. Hopefully SI radeonhd improvements come soon.

I was surprised that the x5 has no altivec support.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324
Quote:
I was surprised that the x5 has no altivec support.
The 5020/40 CPUs are QorIQ/PowerQUICC CPUs, built and optimized for network and I/O performance, not for using them for a PC or something similar.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Management:
"Quick, there's a PPC CPU on sale which isn't quite as dead yet, get it and adapt the OS to it"

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
I was surprised that the x5 has no altivec support

That's what the X5000 needs the most, such a shame.

When I built mine in 2017, I chose the Zalman Z3 in white, but time has proven this a poor choice as sunlight has bleached it as much as my classic Amigas.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So guys, I haven't really researched into the X5's processor limitations all that much.

Is the performance from X5 better than X1 due to sheer Hz horse power only?

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/4/15 9:42:43
George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

X5000 has a little faster clock speed and faster memory. X5000 also has fewer ports and slots.

X1000 has a little slower clock speed and slower memory, but it has Altivec. X1000 also has more ports and slots.

Advantages and disadvantages for each. I have two X1000s but probably better to have one of each.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324
Quote:
Is the performance from X5 better than X1 due to sheer Hz horse power only?
The CPU in the X1000 should theoretically be better, but performance depends on the rest of the system as well.
Probably still the fastest system which could have been used for AmigaOS 4.x, even after more than 15 years, is the PlayStation 3 with it's cell coprocessors. Only very few of the PlayStation games did use the power of the cell coprocessors. Would have been cheap hardware compared to usual AmigaOS 4.x hardware, but not expandable and of course no hardware documentation was available for implementing other OSes on it.

Edited by joerg on 2022/4/18 3:41:20
Go to top

Register To Post