Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

mplayer and VA.library
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Right now have a couple of fine mplayer ports for our systems, but none of them support the va.library, when that exists on the system.

I would like to ask if there is any plan to update mplayer to support it, and maybe with a fallback to comp_yuv2, or plain comp? I think comp_yuv modes do not work at all on systems with Radeon RX, but comp seems to work, so I would go with this one.

Also, that would be a good opportunity to update it to latest public version. What do you say guys? Should we hope for something like that?

It would be great if we could get va.library support on ffplay, that comes with ffmpeg as well.

On the other hand, there is always the awesome Emotion which support va.library and streaming video from online sources, but it is always good to have alternatives, right?

Go to top
Re: mplayer and VA.library
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
+1

Playing youtube videos with Emotion uses about 3% CPU whereas FFplay streaming a live video uses 80%!

I'm ready to donate if someone takes this on.

Cheers,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I know I'm over-ambitious, but I'd love to see the work done on Emotion and on porting the ffmpeg core to Amiga, opened up into a proper multimedia framework API for Amiga. Amiga OS development stopped just before Apple got QuickTime and Windows got DirectShow, and while we got datatypes, and realtime library, mpega and camd, we never got a fully integrated framework for playing containerised source-independent, sink-independent multimedia streams with support for file sources, socket sources, stream sources, in-memory sources, progressive rendering, codec plugins, container format plugins, stream muxing/demuxing, hardware specific accelerated codecs etc etc.

The closest any amigoid platform has to this is the Reggae framework on MorphOS and even that is largely incomplete.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Someone remind me again (since I didn't follow the emotion dev) what I need to get the full power out of emotion/va?

Was it a radeonx card and x5000, or could I be lucky to use it with radeonhd and x1000?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Works with an RX card and a Sam460.
I seem to remember there was an issue with X1000.
Could wrong about the X1000.

Cheers

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TiredOfLife

Replace libva with va.library, I guess its replace some heder files, remove libva from linking, and open va.library, is naive work needed. Assuming thats all thats need to be done, its not too hard.

What can go wrong, well lots of things, most likely thing I’m not thinking about, incompability, between versions, is on top of that list.

Way I don’t work on it, well my HD card is watter cooled, it sucks pooling it out, CFE does support RX card, and need to buy watter cooling block for the RX card, or cut it out of the loop, and I need to buy drivers etc.

But that does not stop anyone else from working on it.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2021/9/16 21:26:47
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

Quote:
...it is always good to have alternatives, right?

New DVPlayer was announced. As far as I remember it was supposed to be in July....2021

But because there is no va.library for SI cards or at least new UBoot (for RXs in SAM440) Im loosing all interest.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mr2

yes it be great if everyone was able to use same graphic cards.

I was a bit chocked when Acube acctually tried to update UBOOT, and support HD cards work on Sam440, the Sam440 is prity old now, and its where limited. I guess they did becouse they wonted RX and HD cards to work on Sam460.

Acube alos has a laptop project around cornor, it be great if solved the problem.

Maybe we should have bunty for updated Firmware insted.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
At the moment a hex editor can probably be used to modify RadeonHD to RadeonRX in mplayer to get it working with comp_yuv2. The name is hardcoded (check this post).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MickJT

Nice tip! I used Zaphod to find and change RadeonHD to RadeonRX in MickJT's mplayer version. When I tested a sample AVI file with the RadeonHD version, CPU usage was ~15%, with the RadeonRX version it was ~8%. So something changed! :)

I then tested with Emotion 1.9 and the CPU use was in line with the RX hacked Mplayer.

New question, is this "hack" possible with ffplay?

Thanks!
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

PS Don't forget to get your raffle tickets for AmiWest 2021 - www.amiwest.net

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tekmage

Quote:
New question, is this "hack" possible with ffplay?

No, the check tells Mplayer you have supported graphic card, and now it can use bitmaps with yuv422 format. (without it has to convert to ARGB bitmap.)

FFMPEG does not display the graphic so nothing you can't get any improvments.

Mplayer does not do hardware decoding, no VA.library when Mplayer was compiled.

If get same result in Emotion it most be becouse its not using VA.library or it the video file is so tiny that most cpu time is not spent on decoding. I will suggest you making sure you have the latest version of Emotion, and lastest drivers installed. can all RX cards support VA.library?

MPlayer is configured with lowest decoding settings, and lot time was spent on trying to find the fastest version of FFMPEG, as thats what it uses. (it might have help)

The MickJT version was compiled with different compiler I belive.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2021/9/20 20:07:28
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top

Register To Post