Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Bars and Pipes for OS 4.1 FE version 1.0 released
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi All,

I did not see this news here so I'd figured I would share. I first saw this on Amiga Future. Looks like a lot of work went into this port.

The developer's site is here with the download link: http://bnp.hansfaust.de/

Thank you, Alfred!

--
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Go to top
Re: Bars and Pipes for OS 4.1 FE version 1.0 released
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tekmage

While I appreciate the new update, we now unfortunately have TWO versions of BarsnPipes for OS4, both with a lot of fixes and improvements. Was that necessary?

And I wonder what Alfred means by this comment: "I want to distance myself from other development lines of BarsnPipes for OS 4, which use the source code of me, but do not name me as author".

The only other development line of BarsnPipes for OS4 I know of is the one done by Lyle Hazelwood. And in his version, Alfred Faust is credited in at least three places: the program screen bar, the About requester, and the Quick Start Guide document. Now go figure.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I actually can recommend our news article on amiga-news.de for Alfred kindly provided us a lot of background information:
https://translate.google.com/translate ... FAN-2021-06-00042-DE.html

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / AmigaOS 3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Bravo to this guy.

Here's the thing - for home computing use, there are many examples where applications from 20 years ago are still viable now.

The best MIDI sequencing tools, digital music composing tools, best trackers and sample editors were made in the 16 bit era. GarageBand is a piece of crap. Sibelius did everything it does today in its original RISC OS version.

There's nothing in Microsoft Office today that most home computing users need, that wasn't in Office v4 (AKA the best version of Office ever made). And you can run the mac version of that in shapeshifter. Except perhaps support for PDF and OfficeXML file formats.

The best pixel art editors of the Amiga era haven't been surpassed by today's tools. Indeed, that seems to be a lost art.

When you get into video editing then yes, today's NLEs can't run on legacy platforms and will always benefit from faster hardware, more memory etc. And the same is kind of true for 3D animation programs, although Blender certainly runs on OS4 and is as good as any professional tool.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm not aware of any issues with Alfred. My email is the same as the last time we spoke.
I would like to think I'm easy to reach, but its also true that I've been very busy with family issues, and I have had no time available for Amiga development for a while now.

There is nothing preventing Alfred from further development on his excellent Bars&pipes port. he's done amazing work so far and continued work is always good news.
From the source he generously shared with me, I did make some changes, especially to the way it links with CAMD. I also began a move towards scalable graphics, but that got too big rather quickly.
I never meant to take credit away from. him, and I thank you Trixie for pointing out the mentions shown.

As I finally finish up a commercial project I've been working on for way too long, I am already beginning new MIDI software (as well as older programs like Score).
Taking care of my wife is my top priority right now. there will be more, but it may take a long time to be released..
Alfred, if I have offended you in any way.. please let me know so I can try to make it right.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LyleHaze

Great to see you around, and awesome to hear work on Score might resume. I've been looking forward to that for nearly a decade now, so you have at least one customer confirmed!

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@eliyahu

+1!

(I don't normally use that expression, but in this case it seems appropriate ).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

The mention of the "distancing from other development lines" has been removed from Alfred's website. Looks like the misunderstanding has been sorted out. Good to see this!

@LyleHaze

Looking forward to your MIDI software!

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top

Register To Post