Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: E-UAE (Amigfx) - do we need a bounty?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Appreciate we now have E_UAE 1.0 JIT, but any progress on an E-UAE bounty?
I'd love to see the features discussed implemented.
The addition of serial.device support would be nice too...

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ddni

No one collected cash, noting done after 3 years.
Setup a bounty collect some cash, and see if anyone bits.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

1. E-UAE doesn't use Compositing for scaling graphics, so a 640x480 window is a little slow, and anything larger is unusably slow. Using Compositing to do the scaling shouldn't be that hard (assuming E-UAE doesn't do anything too wierd), and would make a real difference on modern large monitors (and for Sam440 users whose monitors don't support a 640x512 screenmode).

2. E-UAE-Amigfx is the fastest version of E-UAE (hence why RunInUAE uses it by default), but it's Picasso96 emulation is broken, so we can't have Workbench 3.1 running in a lovely 16-bit screenmode at native resolutions. Picassion96 emulation surely must have worked in the distant past(?), hence I guess it was just broken by a code change at some point... and so it might be relatively simple to fix (if you understand how the Picasso96 emulation works - I don't have a clue). It *does* reportedly work in the SDL build of E-UAE, so checking where it differs from E-UAE-Amigfx (for P96) might be a good start.

These are both things I would like to eventually implement in the e-uae fork I created a while ago:

https://github.com/salass00/e-uae

So far I have only done some minor fixes like support for hdf files >2GB and getting it to compile with newer dos headers.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@salass00

Nice work. Any thoughts on serial.device emulation?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@liveforit

"users never donate after its done, that's my experience, (well it has happened twice.)"

I've started getting into the habit of donating cash for those who have converted the odd program or two and which I have found of much use. I never used to do it, but given these people put in a lot of work I think it's the moral thing to do at least even if it's say 5-10 euro.

I for one would donate to a new version of E-Uae once completed 😀

Amigaone X5000 AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1
Radeon RX 550 Polaris
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@outrun1978

"I for one would donate to a new version of E-Uae once completed"

And how can developer be sure you're going to do that? He only has your word for it.

----------------------------------------------

Donations are aimed at getting people continue working on something, and show your gratitude for that work has been done. Donations does not guaranty that some thinmg is going to be done, developer might decide to work on something else, or have different priorities then you have.

"Donations are gifts."

Bounties are played out when the work described in the bounty is completed, to get developers interested in completing bounties, well-defined goals; that is doable.

Bounties normally start when minimum amount for bounty is collected.

"Bounties are contract work."

For example collecting money for next killer app, without defining what the killer app should be able to do, or without knowing how many hours is going to take to complete, is the same as collecting money for next vaporware, that is not going to happen.

Ideally a bounty should be setup by impartial 3rd part, a broker, someone everyone can be trust. (if the bounty is not completed in x months/1 year, money should be payed back, for example)

Also its important to be able to validate the result of work, if you ask someone to work on some thing you can not test is being done, then it’s a bad contract. You might run the risk of paying out scammer. Make sure you get some one that has the hardware and skills if your gong to optimize some thing.

It better to have many small bounties then to collect money for a large one, in case developer fails to developer on some bounty goals, it also insures that bounties are well defined, this also allows different developers to work on different parts of large project.

Then there is "kick-starters", this basically a upfront payment, normally lot has been already been done, and developer is asking for funding to complete a project. Or put the extra hours in to work on it, normal a project that requires a team to work on it. (In this case, developer is already motivated)

This are 3 different ways open source or sometimes closed sourced / indie projects are funded.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2017/10/5 16:55:39
Edited by LiveForIt on 2017/10/5 17:08:22
Edited by LiveForIt on 2017/10/5 17:14:25
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

I would make a donation even before it is completed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Amigo1

And its what typical Kickstarter is.

Or I guess that Patron model, mostly used by YouTubers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patreon

I'm not sure developers need to work really hard to keep things interesting, to keep people subscribing to something like a Patreon.

Maybe developers who do quick SDL ports, can be supported like that, I'm not sure that work for more specialized work.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2017/10/7 12:11:26
Edited by LiveForIt on 2017/10/7 12:14:09
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Well I actually didn't know a bounty is a continued situation or that from a developer standpoint you can invest bounties in a continuing effort. I thought that e-uae for example at its current state is where Almos has taken it. That entire situation with the Odyssey bounty kind of didn't leave much room to a bounty unfocused on a single target gathering. I would donate for compositing or even a way to tune scanlines. Maybe even a level of ScummVM-like scaling.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)